Southampton to the North of Scotland and Back - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 12-23-2017, 11:09 PM

Some lovely scenery up there. Spent a lot of time at Thurso, Wick, Inverness and Invergordon. I liked the locals weather forecasting methods. If you could see the tops of the hills/mountains, bad weather was coming. If you could not see the tops, bad weather were here.

Usually it always felt damp, it never really got warm. Many times instead of rain a sort of mist/drizzle would soak you. But the locals would strip off at the first sign of that yellow globe appearing in the sky, how the girls did not get frostbite in their feet and legs I will never know. A great race of people the Highland Scots.

A curious but relatively unknown fact. The most correct English is spoken in Inverness Shire. The consonants and vowels are pronounced correctly.
ladywillfly and Keith like this.

Last edited by Thomas M. Daley; 12-23-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 12-24-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thomas, I got lucky with the weather. I'd postponed the trip from a couple of weeks beforehand due to it looking pretty horrible. That meant that I had to be back a day earlier not to miss my son's birthday.
A couple of months earlier at the end of May I'd been in Evanton just north of Inverness for the Singlespeed European Mountain Bike Championship. Throughout the Friday and Saturday the sun shone with temperatures in the mid to high twenties, warmer than any of the locals could remember.
Thomas M. Daley likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-25-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Thomas, I got lucky with the weather. I'd postponed the trip from a couple of weeks beforehand due to it looking pretty horrible. That meant that I had to be back a day earlier not to miss my son's birthday.
A couple of months earlier at the end of May I'd been in Evanton just north of Inverness for the Singlespeed European Mountain Bike Championship. Throughout the Friday and Saturday the sun shone with temperatures in the mid to high twenties, warmer than any of the locals could remember.
High twenties?? Must of had some locals down with heatstroke

When younger went camping/fishing up the Trossachs in Scotland, at Auchengillan. It were such a hot day I stripped to the waist whilst fishing and got sunburn. My mates were laughing at my face (Pain) carrying my rucksack + tent on sunburnt shoulders.

Left those shores 34 years ago, arrived here in Thailand 13 years ago, my travelling days are at an end now.
Before I left the UK, had a house in Newbury, just up the A34 from you.

Merry Xmas to you, hope you ride safe

post #14 of 15 Old 12-25-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I also spent time in the Newbury area. From 1985 to 88 I was stationed at the Army Survey unit in Hermitage, a few miles to the north.
Sounds like you had a very adventurous 20 years between Newbury and Thailand.
Thomas M. Daley likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I also spent time in the Newbury area. From 1985 to 88 I was stationed at the Army Survey unit in Hermitage, a few miles to the north.
Sounds like you had a very adventurous 20 years between Newbury and Thailand.
Between 1977 and 1991 I were in the Merchant Navy, going around the world. On leaving the ship I would stay in that country for a few days before flying home. Great way to see other countries.

I really liked Asia, so when the drilling company I worked for, asked in 2004, if I fancied working in Indonesia?? I took it, decided to do the UK 90 day tax rule, by spending 50% of my onshore leave in Thailand and the other 50% back in the UK. Within a year, it were 10% UK and 90% Thailand.
Now retired and remarried in Thailand, never happier.

Ride safe
Keith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page