Show us your FROTY (First Ride Of The Year) - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Well it's going to be several months before I'll get my first motorcycle ride of the year in, but I did go for a short snowmobile ride with my daughter on New Years Eve morning ...

By the time the snow ended on New Years Day (started snowing late Sunday night) over 30" of fresh powder had fallen, making for a challenging ride...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0061.jpg (342.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0107.jpg (149.5 KB, 43 views)
jsonder, jkv357 and Keith like this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 01-05-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 01-07-2019, 09:44 AM

These aren't from this year, but it's about all we do on 2 wheels in the winter. The street bikes are prepped for storage when we hit December and stay there until it looks good in spring.

My 2 boys out on the lake. Both are making big changes this week. The oldest (#8) just graduated as a ME and is starting at Harley Davidson next week. The youngest (#12) has enlisted in the Marines and is leaving next week for Basic Training in California.

We like our little Honda 4-strokes for winter riding.
MotoMike and Keith like this.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-07-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
............. The oldest (#8) just graduated as a ME and is starting at Harley Davidson next week..........
So will you be passing on any insights into what Harley Davidson will be offering in years to come? Although I don't think much will change in the foreseeable future, their customers don't like change very much.

I see the V-Rod series has been deleted, ostensibly due to non-compliance with Euro emissions regulations but I'm sure if those bikes had been bigger sellers Harley could have found a way to meet the regs.

post #14 of 37 Old 01-07-2019, 03:26 PM

I think HD is in the process of changing things up. There are SO MANY HDs out there for sale, I can't imagine the market is very good for new ones. The typical HD owner is hanging up their chaps and selling their HOGs at this point most likely.

They may be looking for a total revamp with confirmed Adventure and Electric models. There have been photos floating around of a new small bike with a Street Tracker-look that would be produced in India.

He's just out of school, with no work experience in Engineering, but he does have almost 20 years riding motorcycles. I'm thinking they may be looking for a different engineering perspective to help with appealing to a completely new segment of riders.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-09-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm not really up to speed with the UK market for used Harleys but it's rare here to see one being ridden by anyone under 60 years of age, so they need to broaden their appeal before their customer base literally dies off.

When I went to the UK Motorcycle Show in November I had a demo ride on an Indian Scout Bobber. That was a pleasant experience but I'd have to be very rich before buying something that impractical. The rear mudguard is so short that organisers were making everyone who rode that bike wear a fluorescent vest to keep the spray from the wet roads off the jackets they were loaning.
post #16 of 37 Old 01-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
...We like our little Honda 4-strokes for winter riding.
I've been hearing that Wisconsin doesn't have much of a snow cover yet?

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #17 of 37 Old 01-09-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
I've been hearing that Wisconsin doesn't have much of a snow cover yet?
Not much.

Up nort a ways (60 mi from me) there is about 6 or 7" on the ground. In this area, after last weekend's 40F temps and rain, there's nothing at all.

Riding on wet packing snow is pretty good, even on a frozen lake. If it thaws and refreezes (in the woods) in spots it's a real challenge to stay upright.
post #18 of 37 Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
So will you be passing on any insights into what Harley Davidson will be offering in years to come? Although I don't think much will change in the foreseeable future, their customers don't like change very much.
If these concepts are any indication, HD is definitely exploring completely new territory -

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-b...ky-e-bikes-ces
post #19 of 37 Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
If these concepts are any indication, HD is definitely exploring completely new territory -

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-b...ky-e-bikes-ces
They'll have to try harder than that. Those concepts are streets behind the E-bikes currently on offer from established bicycle manufacturers.
It's hard to know what HD can do to escape being as type-cast as they are. BMW have been trying to wean their customers away from the flat twins for years with only limited success.
I think the logical next step for Harley will be to incorporate water cooling into their big twins but to disguise it as much as possible as Indian and Triumph have done.
post #20 of 37 Old 01-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Sunday 6th January 2019, about 50 F / 10 C with sunshine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page