Show us your FROTY (First Ride Of The Year) - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 01-01-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Show us your FROTY (First Ride Of The Year)

New Year's Day and with the weather as good as it gets in the British winter I managed to find a spare hour before my sister and her family were due to visit.
[IMG]IMG_1992 by Keith Whitten, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_1994 by Keith Whitten, on Flickr[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Nice day you had down south, Keith. It has been dull and damp here in Anglesey but I got in my last ride of the year in yesterday so not so bad.
Happy New Year.
Keith likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 01-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Rainy and constantly overcast here...ah well, I couldn't ride my bike until March anyway as I have it only registered and insured for a season from March till November.
Keith likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
Maybe later today, on the dirt bike.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #5 of 37 Old 01-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Garage
OK, I'm heading out to the bank this morning.

jkv357, MotoMike and Keith like this.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #6 of 37 Old 01-03-2019, 12:29 AM

New Years ride

Iím stuck in town watching the wifeís kittyís, but I did take a short grocery ride. I havenít been on since my password was changed last year. I only have dial up internet at home and itís so slow I could never get it straightened out. Our daughter got a new iPad from her husband for Christmas, so I got hers for Christmas.😀 Iím still learning how to use it, but so far its great!

The little 250 Is still doing great, with 125,431 mileís on it. I would never have thought a little 250 would make that many miles without mechanical work. I check the valves every 10,000 miles, but have only had to change a shim on the exhaust valves a few times. Have never had to change a shim on the intakeís, but at the 120,000 mile check, both intakes were at .009Ē, so something has happened. The intakes have always been right on .007Ē until now. I ran short on time, so had to let it be for now, but I suspect a worn rocker arm bearing, since they both changed the same. The cam looked good, Iíll keep you informed when I get back to it. Iím still riding it every day, so it would be my fault if something goes bad, Iíve just been short on time.

The steering head bearings are quite notchy, have been for a long time, so Iím gonna have to tend to them too. Iím just too old and slow to keep up nowadays 😕 Iíll be 81 next month. I did do a foolish thing, but I just couldnít resist it, in January of last year I saw an ad on Craigslist, for a 2014 NC700x for $4,000, with 4,151 miles on it and I had to have it. I knew it was too heavy for me, but I just couldnít pass it up, Iím scared every time I ride it, but it sure is sweet😀 I passed the 16,000 mile mark, so Iíve checked the valves, no change, still at factory settings. Much easier to do than the 250 and only 1 throttle body, so no syncing to do.

I live in Julian CA and if itís threatening rain or snow, I take the 250, I feel much safer on it! I wonít tell you how many mpg Iím getting, I donít wanna make you sick😊

Take Care & ride safe,
Dan
Schroeder, Keith and Das Chicken like this.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-03-2019, 11:20 AM

125,431 miles sure is impressive.o_O

post #8 of 37 Old 01-03-2019, 11:39 PM

Hi Schroeder, yes thatís a lot of miles for a little 250 and not a single mechanical problem! My last BMW, a650 single, the CS, the belt drive one, went 222,000 miles before I sold it, but it wasnít trouble free, although nothing really serious. The headlight Assembly would fall apart regularly, a $300 dollar unit, I had two replaced under warranty and after that I just kept patching them together.

The water pump seals would fail between 15 & 50,000 miles, Rotax used lip seals on both the oil side and the coolant side and of course the coolant side wore out in no time! The single side swing arm double row ball bearing failed regularly @ 70,000 miles. Other than those few things, it was a great bike, always got about 70 to 75 mpg. I replaced 3 belts & 1 rear sprocket in those miles, not too bad. I only had to replace 1 shim in all those miles and it was very easy to do, that engine used shim over bucket. All in all it was a very good bike.

In 1963 I rode a 50cc Kriedler Floret from Chicago to the west coast and down throughout Mexico, with no problems, 10,576 miles. I used a box of 8 spark plugs and had to decarbon the head, cylinder and muffler a number of times, no other problems! I had a brand new Bonneville at that time and I knew it wouldnít make it!😀 Sad!
Take Care & ride safe,
Dan
jkv357 and Das Chicken like this.
post #9 of 37 Old 01-04-2019, 04:21 AM

Too bad Kreidler is now a Chinese company...

post #10 of 37 Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyrider View Post
In 1963 I rode a 50cc Kriedler Floret from Chicago to the west coast and down throughout Mexico, with no problems, 10,576 miles. I used a box of 8 spark plugs and had to decarbon the head, cylinder and muffler a number of times, no other problems! I had a brand new Bonneville at that time and I knew it wouldnít make it!😀 Sad!
Take Care & ride safe,
Dan
Amazing!

Way before my time (I was born in '63), but stories of trips like that on tiny cycles always make me wish I'd been riding during those days. Peter Egan (of Cycle World fame) has stories like that of riding a small bike (either a S90 or CB160 I think) cross country.

Something most of us can't imagine doing today.

I wish Kreidler was still around (and still German). I loved their road racing and LSR bikes from back in the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page