Bull-It Jeans Test! - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Bull-It Jeans Test!

Hi guys,

So in being new to riding of course i've researched a hell of a lot of gear and purchased leathers + kevlar jeans so when summer comes I don't boil.

I saw a mate post this on FB today and it's pretty crazy - some guy gets dragged up and down a hill behind a bike to show the durability of them.

So is there actually a difference between covec and kevlar jeans? I'm new so please don't flame what could be a really stupid question :/

Here is the test: Motorbike Jeans Drag Test - Worlds First CE Level 2 - Bull-it VoloCE - YouTube

Many thanks

Tay
The Following User Says Thank You to Taymaishu For This Useful Post:
EYVoom (07-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 AM

Nice test... I'd like to see one where a guy or dummy is thrown off a bike or truck at highway speeds though. There's a big difference between dragging someone @ 20 mph and getting knocked off a bike @ 55-70 mph. Kinetic energy, stopping distance, and damage done to either the riding gear or body is proportional to the square of the velocity. So 60 mph is 9x more energy than 20 mph...

As for covec vs kevlar, I have no idea.

There are 2 kinds of accidents. Those where ABS would not have made a difference and those where it would have. You purchase ABS for the latter.

2012 CBR250RA all black w/ ABS, blackened muffler heat guard, P3 brake flashers TS+.
Green: reflective rim decals, LED lighting, custom "to punish and enslave..." lettering.

Riding gear: Icon Contra Mil-Spec Hi-Viz & HJC CL-16 helmet

Planned: Upgrade to 2017 FZ-09 w/ ABS

My MPG via fuelly:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by atakacs; 07-08-2013 at 09:44 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakacs View Post
Nice test... I'd like to see one where a guy or dummy is thrown off a bike or truck at highway speeds though. There's a big difference between dragging someone @ 20 mph and getting knocked off a bike @ 55-70 mph. Kinetic energy, stopping distance, and damage done to either the ridibg gear or body is proportional to the square of the velocity. So 60 mph is 9x more energy than 20 mph...

As for covec vs kevlar, I have no idea.

There are 2 kinds of accidents. Those where ABS would not have made a difference and those where it would have. You purchase ABS for the latter.
Is level two ce padding? Anyone have a easy chart outlining the levels of armor and expectations?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

post #4 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM

I hate the videos due to yes they look cool but you don't have the weight of the motorcycle on you your not doing 60+ down the road and what is the guy wearing under the pants? It's not hard to toss in some extra leather at your drag points.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM

I wear Drayko Drift Riding Jeans ($124.95).
Military Grade Kevlar and Dyneema.
Good looking jeans! CE approved.

Watch the 3rd video.
Dragged behind a dragster at 84 mph.

Drayko Motorcycle Jeans
post #6 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
I hate the videos due to ... you don't have the weight of the motorcycle on you ...
Hmmm... I was thinking that too but dismissed it as I assumed the rider & bike would separate almost instantly... Was I wrong? Do a lot of slides include a bike on the rider a significant portion of the slide? And furthermore it seems many riding pants are big on knee fronts and butts but neglect outside legs which I assume would be the portion in contact with the pavement if the bike and rider were still attached. Thoughts?

2012 CBR250RA all black w/ ABS, blackened muffler heat guard, P3 brake flashers TS+.
Green: reflective rim decals, LED lighting, custom "to punish and enslave..." lettering.

Riding gear: Icon Contra Mil-Spec Hi-Viz & HJC CL-16 helmet

Planned: Upgrade to 2017 FZ-09 w/ ABS

My MPG via fuelly:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Watch motorcycle crash videos on YouTube, especially on the racetrack, and you will see 99% of the time the bike and rider separate instantly.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 PM

Looking for some good jeans so decided to read up on covec a little, here is the link for the website that explains the difference between covec and aramid (Kevlar is a brand name for aramid).

Covec

I can't recall the standard but if these are CE 2 rated jeans, that is pretty ******************** good, I need to find the numbers again, but if I remember it right, the difference in CE1 to CE2 is the amount of stress the material can take, for example in back protectors, CE 2 can absorb/spread more impact than CE 1.
The jeans seem to come with knee armor and a pocket for hip protectors, and if they are CE 2 tested and rated, I will keep an eye out to see how they look. Funny on how some of the better looking jeans seem to be hidden away.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 AM

FWIW
Drayko Drift Riding Jeans are made with military kevlar and Dyneema.
Dyneema is the worlds strongest fiber.

"Dyneema and Spectra are lightweight high-strength oriented-strand gel spun through a spinneret. They have yield strengths as high as 2.4 GPa (350,000 psi) and specific gravity as low as 0.97 (for Dyneema SK75).[9] High-strength steels have comparable yield strengths, and low-carbon steels have yield strengths much lower (around 0.5 GPa). Since steel has a specific gravity of roughly 7.8, this gives strength-to-weight ratios for these materials in a range from 8 to 15 times higher than steel. Strength-to-weight ratios for Dyneema are about 40% higher than for aramid." (Wikipedia)

Dyneema is used by the military as follows:

Dyneema® in Vehicle Armor | Dyneema ®

post #10 of 11 Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Really great replies, thanks guys!

Here in Australia, you're looking to pay $200+ for anything worth wearing (kevlar piped jeans).

Question is - is the new covec stuff (as demonstrated in the video) worth it?

I'm a newbie so i'm learning heaps (already have from your replies!)

I guess one thing that came to my mind was.. You don't slide for 40m if you come off at 10km/h.. You come off at 60km/h and slide 40m perhaps. At 60km/h there's a lot more force and heat on your pants....

Then again, coming off at 60km/h and sliding the first thing on your mind is probably not going to be if your pants hold up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page