Question for those that always wear full gear. - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Average human walking speed is about 3.0-3.5 mph. If you "power walk", that's up to 4.5-5.5 mph.

between each edge of that spectrum, you're looking at 6-10 minutes.

The amount of time it would take for you to suit up, start up, ride out, shut down, strip down would be at least 6-10 minutes.

Walk it. Your heart will thank you.

cheers,
dj
"I'm No Expert"
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

"This old engine has a nickels-and-dimes sound to it. As if there were a lot of loose change flying around inside. Sounds awful, but it's just normal valve clatter. Once you get used to that sound and learn to expect it, you automatically hear any difference. If you don't hear any, that's good." -- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM

A number of years back....I think it was the Beginners Motorcycle forum...
This beautiful blond said how she wore ATGATT leathers.
Can't remember the whole story.
I think she had to go just a few blocks and..the unexpected..
She's known as the "Road Rash Queen".

Here's 2 videos. The first is in German but words are not necessary!

WARNING.....GRAPHIC

Brittany Morrow - Road Rash Queen - YouTube

How to Avoid Skinning Yourself Alive - Brittany Morrow on Vimeo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red_Ryder For This Useful Post:
MTCJr (07-18-2012), TX_Dj (07-17-2012), yachting1 (10-17-2012)
post #13 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM

Lightbulb

I live 10 minutes away from my work, minus the heavy construction lately, more like an 8 minute drive/ride. I have always worn my jacket, gloves, and helmet. Recently I let my good friend take my 250r for a ride, his first, and I made him wear the gear. Unfortunately he dropped the bike doing about 5-10mph on a side street doing a u-turn. Messed his ankle up pretty bad and had it not been for my jacket, which is now pretty banged up, he would have had some serious road rash up his left arm. Now granted this was a rookie mistake and his first ride, but nobody can avoid riding through a mysterious puddle of oil/anti-freeze, or hitting some unexpected gravel as they head off to work. My opinion (re-enforced by this experience): Always wear your full gear, no matter what, no matter how short the distance, or how cool you might feel just taking her for a ride around the block. Chances are, you will be fine, but on the off chance that the unexpected happens, you will be so grateful you did. End of story.

Side note: he will be ordering me all new parts for the damage he did to my bike, like a good friend does.

post #14 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverguide View Post
I always gear up - full face helmet, gloves, boots, perforated leather jacket if its hot out. The only thing I'll not wear if its a short ride are my riding pants, but always heavy jeans if that's the case.

Having crashed at 40 kph on my road bike (bicycle) in cycling apparel, i can't imagine crashing at higher speed without proper gear.
I used to ride BMX so I've done a fair share of crashing. I've hit the road at 25 MPH before and then got back on the bike and continued on to school (on more then 1 occasion) which is why to me it doesn't seem so dangerous to go 1/2 a mile without gear. My biggest fear would be being hit by a car but I don't know how gear will protect you against an impact like that.

I know that sounds bad the way I've stated it and I don't mean to come off like "it wont happen to me" I know things happen. I guess I just don't see a 25 MPH crash that doesn't involve another vehicle causing anymore damage then a few scrapes and bruises. A helmet seems sufficient. If it wasn't 100* out I might consider at least putting on a jacket but the jacket I have was made for cool days....

2011 CBR250R- gas saver
2001 Audi S4- Twin Turbo 318hp/382 torque
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Work in progress
1994 Suzuki RF900R - Work in progress

Last edited by somebody5788; 07-17-2012 at 04:08 PM.
post #15 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM

For the record.... many of us have seen this....

I can't remember if that is Brittany or not- but if not, she suffered much the same situation as Brittany did.

cheers,
dj
"I'm No Expert"
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

"This old engine has a nickels-and-dimes sound to it. As if there were a lot of loose change flying around inside. Sounds awful, but it's just normal valve clatter. Once you get used to that sound and learn to expect it, you automatically hear any difference. If you don't hear any, that's good." -- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
post #16 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 04:25 PM

Don't try to justify it. A 25 mph off is a 25 mph off no matter where it is. You either accept the risk or you don't.

Gear will help you in a car collision because you're still going to suffer impact and abrasion injuries.
post #17 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM

In many jobs I've had they always say safety first. Thought this may answer your question ->
https://www.cbr250.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5349

With safe regards from the mostly frozen north.
post #18 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Yes. Even if it takes me as long as the ride itself, then I will still ride in full gear.

All its takes is one slip and you suddenly wish you were wearing full gear..but then its too late to slip it on.

If you don't want to wear gear for a short trip..then walk

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Better to Sweat than Bleed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Top For This Useful Post:
don'tpanic (10-17-2012)
post #19 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
I used to ride BMX so I've done a fair share of crashing. I've hit the road at 25 MPH before and then got back on the bike and continued on to school (on more then 1 occasion) which is why to me it doesn't seem so dangerous to go 1/2 a mile without gear. My biggest fear would be being hit by a car but I don't know how gear will protect you against an impact like that.

I know that sounds bad the way I've stated it and I don't mean to come off like "it wont happen to me" I know things happen. I guess I just don't see a 25 MPH crash that doesn't involve another vehicle causing anymore damage then a few scrapes and bruises. A helmet seems sufficient. If it wasn't 100* out I might consider at least putting on a jacket but the jacket I have was made for cool days....
It's 100 degrees just about everywhere in the USA. I still gear up no matter where I go. A crash at 25 miles an hour can still kill you. I think you are assuming that you lay the bike down when in fact, you could go down face first. A helmet is fantastic but what about gloves? Where do you THINK your hands are going as you are becoming road pizza?

My sis' works in the ER and she's seen first hand how bad riders are even with full gear.

TheAOP
USAF Veteran
Red Sox Nation
2011 CBR250R
2009 Mazda3i
2005 Honda Civic LX
1993 Saturn SW2

It makes me sick that it's hard to distinguish,
An honest leader who preaches a cause,
That's not made and not based,
On the profit they'll receive from telling the world.

What line divides you from the seeders,
Who sow without growing believers,
You point and you judge,
Forgetting that their faith is molded by your lead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAOP For This Useful Post:
don'tpanic (10-17-2012)
post #20 of 89 Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM

Garage
for me, it boils down to how much I like my skin! thats it! I've had riding
buddies that had fairly minor spills, but terrible road rash, just because,
they were just running down the street real quick. If you ever get an
elbow, hand, back, chest or arm full of asphalt, you'll wish you took the
time to gear up. at the end of the day, it's up to you, you have the
freedom to choose. for me, its a no brainer. I choose my armor! Period!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page