Motorcycle Jeans: Kevlar, Dyneema, CE Armor; Oh My! - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 07-21-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
Are they substantial enough for motorcycling? The website has people skating half-pipes and such. The kevlar coverage looks decent though. What are your thoughts?

You are indeed correct with your observations, as from what I've read the guy who designed them, road motorbikes but also skated/bmx, and wanted a Kevlar lined jeans which the 'cool hipster skater kids' could wear without restricting leg movement. As you can see on from the pictures, the Kevlar appears to be as thick as Draggins I tried on in shop.
I have nothing against Draggin jeans or any other manufacture of Kevlar jeans for that matter. I personally wanted a skinny fit jean that could be worn as a dress pant, and the draggin's I tried on could not offer that, as I have a slim build (62kg /137 lbs, 180cm / 5f11 Tall). I also don't see the point in wear 'baggy' or 'too loose' fitting kevlar jeans, as in a crash the jeans will simply ride up, exposing skin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I have a pair of Resolute kevlar jeans with pockets for knee and hip armour.The knee armour fits over the knee while standing but on bike rides up when you bend your knee so not sure how much help it would be in a crash.
This is my hesitation towards the armor inserts in knee pockets. They could theoretically get pushed up, down, left, or right during a crash. Armor pockets are a convenience factor but I'd be skeptical to say they're as protective as dedicated knee pads though. Good safety point worth reiterating.

The list so far!
Speaking of reiterating, here's a list courtesy of all of us so far here on cbr250.net...
- Draggin Jeans (Austrailia)
- Draggin' Jeans (USA)
- Drayko
- Sartso
- Resolute
- Urban Kreation
- Cortech
- Sliders
- TKD
- Hood
- Shift

I'd also like to add 2 companies that are already known for making motorcycle gear...
- Alpinestars
- Joe Rocket

and a special mention goes to these products for their innovation in adding safety even to regular pants...
- Bohn Body Armor
- Draggin' Liners

C'mon, sko sko sko!

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 07-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
post #23 of 36 Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 PM

My choice for the commute or group rides are overpants with padding in the hips and knees. I have Sliders kevlar lined jeans but they are baggy and kind of hot on hot days. I would like to find jeans with pockets for padding. If the pockets lock the pads in place, I don't see this style as a problem. Thanks for this thread.

post #24 of 36 Old 07-21-2012, 03:57 PM

I've been trying to come up with some sort of solution for a year now. I did purchase these. After 1200 mi. in them I would say they are bulky and not very comfortable but I do feel like they would atleast offer some intitial impact protections and they might stay in place if I was sliding. I do tend to forget that they are on 90% of the time when riding. They are ridiculous if you are trying to walk around in them under your jeans.
I've explored leather, overpants etc. and think I am going to continue using the knee pads because they seem like the would stay in place or should I say be in the right place on initial impact. I am going to supplement them with these shorts.

And the final peice will be some Kevlar jeans. I will be pretty protected at this point minus my hitop leather basketball shoes, but hey, that is better than sandals I suppose.

I guess I just don't trust pads to stay in the right place in overpants and along with the problem of heat and leather pants they don't seem to offer many options of leather with hip and butt protection. This works for me since I usually just ride for fun. If I were commuting I think it would be difficult to make this combination work.
post #25 of 36 Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 PM

I went low-tech with my answer for the riding jeans issue. For my city commute, 25-35 MPH max, I wanted to get away from heavy armored over pants, with jeans underneath, during the warm weather. And also something I could walk around in at the store / party / etc and look fairly "normal" (or as close as I ever usually get!).

Carhart work pants, with double-thickness material over the knees. I don't need to worry about very significant abrasion resistance at city speeds, when I'm on the highway I do wear the full armor. I do want some impact protection though, should I hit the pavement during the commute, so I picked up a pair of under-the - pants tights with foam padding on knees / hips / tailbone, Daianese. Thin padding but it does feel like it offers a decent amount of low-speed-fall protection. This combo won't do much at 65MPH but at 35 I feel pretty safe around town, and I'm much more comfortable both riding and walking around afterward.
post #26 of 36 Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Garage
I'd like to vouch for Forcefield Armour.
Forcefield Body Armour and Climate Control Clothing

I did some research on armor a whiles back and these dudes seem to be on top of their game so I picked up a pair of the knee pads. They are secure and comfortable to ride in.
post #27 of 36 Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
so I picked up a pair of under-the - pants tights with foam padding on knees / hips / tailbone, Daianese.
Mmmm, Feels so sexy, don't it....
post #28 of 36 Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 AM

Garage
Most of the jeans I have seen only come in one length. I have heard that Harley is coming out with some of these pants at a competitive price as the others and will come it different waist and length sizes. Should be coming out soon, will keep everyone posted.

Keep in mind this is secondhand information and make no promises what so ever.
post #29 of 36 Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 PM

I've been enjoying this thread thanks for creating it. It's interesting to see the variation in which folks choose for protection. I think it's important to point out that there's many points to consider...

how much protection do you need for

1) impact
2) abrasion resistance

those depend on the kind of riding you do, and the risk you want to take.

3) climate control.

I've been struggling with coming up with something I find that meets *my* needs for all 3. I live in the north east, and am not used to long stretches of heat...this summer has felt brutal on the bike. my coat doesn't breathe enough, and no matter what overpant i wear, it seems too much. I'll be checking into the jeans in this thread and probably getting a mesh or vented jacket soon as i can afford.

I did do something recently i thought i'd never do...rode without a jacket or overpants. felt naked on the bike...was actually kinda nice. was only a half mile at 30mph though(to fill up the tank).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
70mpg best fill

awesome:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 36 Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 PM

I just got my lined ICON pants in at my local dealer today . Brought them home and tried them on and they fit great and look really good as well . As it get colder around here the liner should be a big plus i hope . Still waiting on my knee pads and need to pick some padded shorts and boots out but im Getting there .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page