Motorcycle Jeans: Kevlar, Dyneema, CE Armor; Oh My! - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Jeans: Kevlar, Dyneema, CE Armor; Oh My!

First, I'd like to give credit to the threads that inspired this one. If you have info on textile or leather pants it would seem, there are threads right here on this site that could use some support.

- Going Pants Shopping
- Gear Help: Pants
- Pants
- Riding Pants For Commuting
- Drayko Renegade CE Approved Riding Jeans *

* I know, I know, you're likely wondering (some of you are likely irritated ) "well why didn't you just post in those threads?" and the answer is simple; it'd be beneficial to have a thread dedicated to compiling information about motorcycle jeans (and some of my content was actually deleted from the Drayko thread, last on that list, by the sponsor ). It's something a lot of people don't have a lot of information on or a good place to start. In my recent exhaustive research, I also found it to be a surprisingly in-depth topic... that or it was just plain annoying how much digging on Google I had to do to get the information I needed.

The alternatives
As prerequisite info on riding pants in general, there's 2 other options besides riding jeans we all know - textile and leather. I'll tell you why for many of us, they just don't cut it.

Textile Overpants...
PRO: You can wear whatever you want underneath and they contain armor built in.
CON: Adds extra gear to figure out what to do with when arriving, not at work, not at a friend's house, but shopping, a restaurant, anywhere that a freakin' extra pair of pants is a pain to securely store.

Leather Pants...
PRO: Best abrasion protection used by racing pros.
CON: Not exactly the coolest (in the stylistic or temperature sense) pants to wear for normal activities... also see above con if overpants.

Motorcycle jeans FTW... & also better with mods!
This leaves motorcycle riding jeans as the most practical pants for us commuters, and dare I have the balls to say, for 80% of motorcycle riders... world wide. That said, as a disclaimer for those not familiar with this topic (as I certainly wasn't), riding jeans can often require a trip to a tailor/alteration shop. A lot of the pants are sold with a very long length and high-rise waist as a generic fit (accommodating the lowest common denominator, keeping the cost down, and allowing tailoring to preferred fits), so getting them hemmed and taken in to adjust length, looseness, and rise height is required to custom fit them to your body. Mine are at the tailor right now, and the total was $32. This is why many people say they can't find motorcycle jeans that fit them or look good on them.

The run-down on Draggin Jeans & Drayko
So to start, there's another bit of prerequisite knowledge to the world of motorcycle riding jeans that I feel is necessary to share, particularly since this is an international forum, and it's in regard to the most popular name in the game in the world - Draggin Jeans. There's an American company and an Australian company by the same name. I infer from what I've read that they used to be associated with each other and now they're not. They both have websites...

dragginjeans.com (US based company)
dragginjeans.net (Australian based company)

The Austalian Draggin Jeans is far more fashionable and also is affiliated with Drayko. Draggin Jeans Australia sells Drayko jeans on their website, but have a distributor here in the US. I like to think of Drayko as the US branch of the Australian Draggin Jeans, thus costing less. The American Draggin' Jeans (with the apostrophe) sells less styles of jeans and they're much less fashionable, however, you can get CE rated armor shipped with them, the sizes are supposedly accurate, they cut them for the waist AND length before sending them to you (Drayko come in a standard long length that needs to be hemmed), and they're cheaper.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to say that the Australian Draggin Jeans / Drayko are my favorite. They're actually some of the most comfortable jeans I've ever put on - seriously. Here in the US, Drayko jeans are sold in many bike shops and online and go for around the $150-$170 range. Their website, to get a look at the styles up close, is www.drayko.com. To my knowledge, they're the only jeans that are CE certified for abrasion resistance. The competitors just have CE certified armor plates. In the other Drayko thread (listed above) I had originally posted 2 good videos on the brand before they were removed.

This one for the durability...

And this one for the different styles...

Now, there's also...

Sartso: Arguably the most fashion-forward riding jeans on the market
My next favorite is Sartso Jeans (www.sartso.com). They have a larger variety of styles and washes, come with optional CE rated armor inserts, and have internal pockets for said armor already built in (the tailor would have to add these to the Drayko jeans). The downside is the seams of the kevlar liner is more apparent and the jeans themselves are not CE rated.

I will say that Sartso has, IMO, the best selection for women! If I were a lady, my favs would be the "Sartso Jade" jeans...

There's other brands out there, and this post is long enough, so... yeah. The thread is here if anyone else can add info about this topic. Some other good brands to add info on would be Sliders, Shift, and Alpinestars. My advice for those looking to buy motorcycle jeans is not to get too hung up on armor pockets or needing a tailor. The tailor is not expensive and can add armor pockets if you want them. The investment in your safety is worth it and I hope I've provided a good starting point. I feel like I just did a research paper for you guys!

C'mon, sko sko sko!

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 07-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Shackleford For This Useful Post:
Azul the Cat (07-20-2012), CBlackR (07-21-2012), Empty Sea (07-19-2012), george c (07-20-2012), live_to_ride (07-19-2012), MTCJr (07-20-2012), Natrix (07-20-2012), pete_falcone (07-20-2012), RHarrod29 (07-20-2012), snick8467 (07-22-2012), Top (07-20-2012), TrippplePPP (05-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the info... Time to start my research

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #3 of 36 Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
A good pair of riding jeans for women will have a higher rise in the back to accomadate the forward riding position without exposing the butt.The longer length is desirable as well to provide protection to the lower legs. A typical pair of jeans tend to ride up when in the seating position of a rider therefore may not cover the lower leg properly.

Thx for this thread, and for including us ladies

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
The Following User Says Thank You to live_to_ride For This Useful Post:
Empty Sea (07-20-2012)

post #4 of 36 Old 07-20-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Glad it's appreciated. Drayko jeans are a little higher in the back for that very reason. In the video above, the lady calls it "anti butt-crack technology" haha!

C'mon, sko sko sko!
post #5 of 36 Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 AM

I've got Sartso. I like them a lot and that is true that you might be going to the tailor, I did to shorten it up. Short enough to not ride up your leg in riding position and to not drag on the floor when walking.

They are definetely stylish and modern. They also have that natural sag look where the waistline of the jeans will sit above the hip bone. Just look at their pro riders, these jeans are aimed for the trendy.

Maybe thats why its not CE approved. I did not know they are not CE approved when getting the jeans, as long as it was Kevlar. I will try Drayko after this one or in a few months. Thanks.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 AM

Cool vid. I wish they had a dress pants version.
post #7 of 36 Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_falcone View Post
Cool vid. I wish they had a dress pants version.
I have two pairs of Urban Kreation jeans, both have Kevlar throughout them, and my black pair honestly look like 'dress pants'.

They don't have the option of removable armour like the Draggin Jeans, but I prefer them over to Draggin as they are way more fashionable, and you can actually get away with wearing them to work / parties/ pulling the babes :P (Most Draggin Jeans are far to 'baggy')

Here is a link to their website:
Products | Urban Kreation#

For longer trips id still wear my leathers, for that added protection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B-maca For This Useful Post:
pete_falcone (07-20-2012), snick8467 (07-22-2012)
post #8 of 36 Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 AM

post #9 of 36 Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-maca View Post
...They don't have the option of removable armour like the Draggin Jeans, but I prefer them over to Draggin as they are way more fashionable, and you can actually get away with wearing them to work / parties/ pulling the babes :P (Most Draggin Jeans are far to 'baggy')...
Have you looked at dragginjeans.net at the Australian company yet? Way better looking than the American Draggin Jeans company, IMO. They're obviously more expensive, which is why I decided on their Drayko jeans sold here in the US.

Sartso continued
Oh, and everyone; I've been digging again trying to find CE ratings for Sartso but haven't had any luck yet. I'd think if they passed CE testing they'd advertise that front and center like I keep seeing for their armor plates.

FWIW, if I had to recommend Sartso jean styles for men, I'd go "Midnight Blue" for sporty looking, "Brown Wave" for rugged looking, and if for whatever reason you're into wearing skinny jeans on a motorcycle, there's "Raw Blue Stretch".

The other downside for me when comparing against Drayko; notice how much more obvious the seams for the kevlar are is the Sartso jeans. I mean, it's not screamin' loud obvious like if the thread was orange, but I want them to look as normal as humanly possible, but I can understand the stitching might not be as much of a deal breaker for others given Sartso has so many different styles to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magona250 View Post
Kevlar protecton throughout the entire pants with knee and hip pockets for armor? Wow, TKD, Draggin, Drayko... Australians know how to make a motorcycle jean. Too bad we don't have that enthusiasm here in America. The dealer I bought my Draykos from said they were on closeout because motorcycle jeans were such poor sellers. He said for some reason, leg protection for casual riding isn't popular. There's some truth in that I've experienced. I know several friends who ride who would flat out tell me "changing jeans before riding" is a high maintenance hassle.

P.S. - This thread came up on page 1 in a Google search for Sartso CE rating already!

C'mon, sko sko sko!

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 07-20-2012 at 10:16 AM.
post #10 of 36 Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Boo

There's always the option of getting kevlar liners (Draggin Liners) then you some flexibility to wear whatever you want. Although it may get a bit uncomfy during summer and warm places.

Problem with jeans is that they haven't got much impact protection. I, personally wear additional armor underneath my jeans (Bohn Body Armor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
. There's some truth in that I've experienced. I know several friends who ride who would flat out tell me "changing jeans before riding" is a high maintenance hassle.
It boils down to this, doesn't it.

Compared to the other types of leg protection available, I think kevlar jeans the best way to go in terms of getting some protection for the least amount of effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page