Warm glove suggestions - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Warm glove suggestions

I need some warmer gloves. Most of my gear is good to go for the cold, but my hands suffer immensely. The gloves I have now allow a lot of air flow while at least to my eye offering decent protection. Any suggestions? I would prefer that the gloves offer decent road protection in addition to weather insulation. I know the electric stuff is nice, but its expensive, and really I have a hard time understanding whether they work without the other pieces I don't need, like the jacket.
What have you guys found to work?
RichardC300 likes this.

2012 CBR 250R "Maya"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-12-2016, 01:38 AM

Garage
Can't really help out too much, I just got my first pair of real riding gloves so my goatskin workgloves can go back to being work gloves. I've seen some motorcycles equipped with hand guards that act as wind deflectors to keep cold air and/or brush off the hands, that may help keep your hands a bit warmer. Not sure how they'd look on a cbr250 though.

2013 Black CBR250R ABS, forced to haul my 6'1 270lb butt.
1997 Red VLX600CD, now with 100% less fuel pump.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TestBacon For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016), ladywillfly (02-15-2016)
post #3 of 13 Old 02-12-2016, 11:37 AM

Garage
Ive use the freeze out glove inserts from cyclegear. they work well for me in winter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxthatswhatsupxx For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016)

post #4 of 13 Old 02-12-2016, 01:58 PM

I'd suggest regular riding gloves and Hippo Hands:

Hippo Hands - webBikeWorld

"What do YOU care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pooder7 For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016)
post #5 of 13 Old 02-12-2016, 07:01 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
Although it costs a few $$ have you considered heated grips? In the long run, they are not that expensive, especially compared to good thermo leather gloves and grip accessories to block wind?

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to live_to_ride For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016)
post #6 of 13 Old 02-12-2016, 08:46 PM

There are three things to consider when choosing a winter warm hands strategy:

1) Duration of the ride
2) Outside temperature
3) Budget

Obviously, the longer the ride and/or the colder the temperature, the more challenging the problem becomes.

When it comes to passive (non-heated) gear, two things are important:

1) Amount of insulation
2) Wind blocking

A huge amount of insulation will become bulky and make it hard to operate the controls. I've found that a moderate amount of insulation plus effective wind protection is a good approach.

If your existing gloves are already pretty warm but not warm enough, you might try the MotoCentric Overtrek rain overmitts. I have these and it is amazing how much warmer your hands will be in the gloves you already have. Yes you look like you have lobster claws but hey, you'll be a toasty lobster! They are just a thin windproof layer.

If your current gloves are not warm, I can recommend Icon Patrol waterproof gloves. Because they are waterproof (actually, they aren't but most "waterproof" gear...isn't) they shed wind and they do have decent insulation.

If you want to ride for longer periods or colder temperatures, you really can't do without heated grips, heated gloves, or heated glove liners.

I use the Powerlet RapidFIRe glove liners inside my Icon Patrol gloves. I bought the gloves one size larger to allow room for the liners. The kit is about USD $100. They heat the back of your hands and between the fingers.

Heated grips are great but to be honest heated glove liners are better. You have to squeeze the heated grips to get the heat to flow and they do nothing for your fingers when they are using the clutch and brake. If you can afford both heated grips and heated liners...that is the perfect situation: heat on palms and on backs of hands / between fingers. You can ride for hours...something else will get cold before your hands complain. Here is my thread on the Bikemaster universal heated grip kit. Heated grips are great though for that shorter ride when your hands feel a chill and you're not wearing your warmer gloves or heated liners. You just click them on and get enough heat to finish the ride in relative comfort.

benh972 likes this.

Last edited by Stichill; 02-12-2016 at 09:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stichill For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016)
post #7 of 13 Old 02-13-2016, 01:37 AM

Gauntlet leathers with Thinsulate insulation are fine for my 45 minute+ commute. Longer than that, and a reusable handwarmer tucked on top of my hand does the trick. $35 total investment.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbrlocal For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016)
post #8 of 13 Old 02-13-2016, 02:40 AM

here are my cold weather gloves : BILT - Fusion Waterproof Motorcycle Gloves - Textile - Gloves - Street - Cycle Gear

you can probably do better at that price point if you really shop around, but I've worn these gloves on a 45 minute commute at expressway speeds in sub 40 degree temps and my hands were still toasty warm when I got to work.
benh972 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mardi72 For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016)
post #9 of 13 Old 02-13-2016, 06:25 AM

The Icon Patrol are the best value for a foul weather glove. Heated glove liners are a must if you ride more than 1/2 hour. Are you commuting? Plug in gear is expensive but you will leave the car home more often if you have it. You can run the glove liner wiring down your jacket and clip it with some safety pins if you don't want to shell out for a jacket liner which has the wires for your hands built in. I use a full set of Venture Heat liners and can ride 45 minutes to work at 25F.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016)
post #10 of 13 Old 02-13-2016, 11:46 AM

Garage
This is what I use when it's too cold for my summer gloves. I recommend having a liner between the glove and your hand as the coils can get quite hot.

my summer glove

if its just a tad bit chilly ill throw some latex style gloves under the summer ones.

I just layer the rest of my body had haven't had a issue but I don't ride below 25 degrees F

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isaacm12 For This Useful Post:
benh972 (02-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page