5Likes
  • 1 Post By Stichill
  • 1 Post By zirconx
  • 2 Post By shisoshin
  • 1 Post By live_to_ride

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-25-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Warm nights cold morning?

Hey guys, i want to ride the bike to work again. I work night shift so i go in when the sun is going down and will be riding before sunrise. To give you somewhat of a feel, tomorrow will be in the 60's when i ride to work, but on my way home sunday morning it will be 41 degrees. Any suggestions on what i could do to keep warm but not sweat balls the whole way there? I have a backpack but its just your average backpack and i have a cowl on the back of my jacket, i havent tried to fee for akwardness yet but i can imagine it will be as the cowl is pretty big. I thought about wearing an underarmour longsleeve, a cotton hoody, and then my joe rocket jacket with the waterproof liner, i have fly racing gloves that are actually pretty warm, and as far as pants goes i thought about my under armour long pants with standard jeans, and boots. (Obviously a helmet) let me know what you guys think! I havent ridden in that cold of weather before so i just am not sure. Thanks guys!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"You Don't need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle!" - Dan Akroyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-25-2016, 08:45 PM

cford, there are two defenses against riding when it's cold outside:

1) Layered insulation

2) Wind blocking

It sounds like you are going in the right direction. My main piece of advice on the insulating layers is to avoid cotton and seek all technical (man-made) fabrics. They wick moisture without causing evaporative cooling.

I have found you don't need all that much insulation on your legs. At 41 degrees, I would wear sports long underwear (it's thin), track wind pants, and my riding pants. I happen to only have mesh pants, so in cold weather I ride with the waterproof liner installed as a wind break.

Up top, I wear sports long underwear, a long-sleeve technical sports pullover, and windbreaking jacket or liner, and an outer windbreaking riding jacket. I'm big on wind protection; all the insulation in the world won't help you if the cold air can penetrate and defeat the trapped air layers.

I also use a Schampa Shielded chin guard. I put on all my under layers, then the chin guard, then the outer riding jacket.

I don't know if you have insulated riding gloves. They can be expensive. I was once caught in colder than expected weather with non-insulated gloves. I pulled out my low-buck Moto-Centric rain mitts as a wind break and it made a huge difference! Another low-cost option is thin glove liners.
shisoshin likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-26-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Your awesome thanks a bunch man!

"You Don't need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle!" - Dan Akroyd

post #4 of 10 Old 03-26-2016, 01:34 AM

Here in NC, we have similar weather patterns. Cold on the ride in, blazing hot going home, and vice versa. I wear my riding pants, which are warm enough since they're a nice wind breaker, plus my Scorpion jacket. I zip up the vents, and wear a wool scarf around the neck tucked into the jacket. I also wear gauntlet insulated gloves. Knowing the ride home will be warm, I open my jacket vents, throw the scarf in my bookbag with the insulated gloves, and wear my normal Scorpion perforated riding gloves home. A scarf and a thick pair of gloves fit easily in any bag.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-26-2016, 10:17 AM

Garage
If cyclegear is still selling the freezeout stuff(onsale) than I would say go buy a pair the stuff works quite well. As for gloves wearing a pair of latex gloves under is a cheap way to still wear your summer stuff.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2016, 02:48 PM

I use a heated jacket liner. In the cold mornings I have it turned on full blast. When I ride home after work, I pack it up in my tail bag. The equipment is pretty expensive, but I've been using mine for many years on many different bikes. Well worth it for me. You can buy the equipment used for a good bargain also.

65 Watt Gen WP Men's Heated Liner - Warm & Safe Heated Gear, LLC

Single Mounted Heat-troller - Warm & Safe Heated Gear, LLC

I mounted the controller knob up front, where the hole won't be very noticeable when I sell the bike.

I also use two pairs of gloves, a warmer pair for the mornings and some summer gloves for the return commute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-26 13.45.28.jpg (119.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-26 13.45.09.jpg (192.1 KB, 12 views)
Stichill likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2016, 05:25 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
think of it as the two separate rides it is..
so you need to carry for the second ride..
aside from the above excellent advice
consider a full rain suit carry [or wear]
which helps insulate/keep out wind/cold..

also the low tech newspaper inside jacket
limited to torso yet covers organs/heart
for cheap easy added protection..

'anything' wrapped around radiator
arteries; neck, wrists, elbows, ankles
such as scarves or socks with toes cut off
[etc] are simple, easy and portable..

if you carry then anything goes..
live_to_ride and Stichill like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-26-2016, 07:18 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
And if it's quite cool, make sure your tires are warmed up. Don't blast out of the parking lot or else your keester will go for a free flight off your bike. Not good
Stichill likes this.

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #9 of 10 Old 03-26-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

You guys are awesome! Seriously i cant thank you guys enough! I need to look into the jacket liner and lol at the cold tire thing

post #10 of 10 Old 03-26-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I mounted the controller knob up front, where the hole won't be very noticeable when I sell the bike
Nice install. I wear a portable dual controller on the cinch belt of my jacket...not as clean as your solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page