• 1 Post By Keith
  • 1 Post By MotoMike
  • 1 Post By Keith
  • 1 Post By Schroeder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ooooh Toastie

Today I spent a little bit of money and bought myself a heated jacket liner (sleeveless) from Gerbing. The reviews reckoned it was the best of the bunch so that's where my money went.

The wiring was dead easy to connect to the battery and the first test this evening was 50 mile round trip to a presentation on the flora and fauna of Madagascar. When I left home the garden thermometer was reading 3.3 degrees C. The heating elements warmed up quickly and felt like either the sun on your skin on a pleasant (not blistering) summer's day or maybe a warm shower (but not wet). On the return trip I took the fast route, mostly dual carriageways at 70mph and got home to find the temperature had dropped to 0.6 degrees. I still felt like a fully functioning human being and could have happily ridden a fair bit further. Verdict: money well spent.
MotoMike likes this.

Last edited by Keith; 11-21-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2018, 06:21 PM

Garage
Good to hear!

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #3 of 10 Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 AM

My main problem is usually that my hands freeze when it's cold.

Does the CBR generate enough power to keep that thing going without taxing the battery?

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
My main problem is usually that my hands freeze when it's cold.
Heated grips will solve that.

Quote:
Does the CBR generate enough power to keep that thing going without taxing the battery?
Plenty of juice to power heated accessories... the electrical system puts out 350 watts.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Schroeder (11-22-2018)
post #5 of 10 Old 11-21-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have heated grips. I wouldn't be without them in this country.
Gerbing reckon their heated waistcoat consumes about as much power as an extra headlamp bulb would.

Test two today was a visit to Motorcycle Live, the UK's biggest annual motorcycle show. A round trip of 250 miles.
The temperature was 2 degrees C when I left home with occasional heavy rain on the way and plenty of spray from wet roads and heavy traffic.
To be honest after three hours of riding in those conditions I was pretty cold and tensing my shoulders and laterals to press the heater elements closer to my skin was a bit like huddling closer to an open fire to thaw out when you're already freezing. But that was very welcome if not totally effective.

The trip back was at least dry and 2 to 4 degrees C with salt spreader trucks indicating that a frost was forecast. I had to stop to refuel and took the opportunity to spend 15 minutes warming up by walking up and down the aisles of the nearby supermarket.
When I restarted I found several of my fingertips going numb despite the heated grips being turned up to maximum. A bit of shoulder tensing did seem to warm the blood enough that after a while I regained feeling in those fingers. I've never had that happen before. Usually once they're numb that's it until I stop and get back somewhere warm.

If I was going to ride long distance in those conditions regularly I'd probably invest in the heated leggings as my feet did get quite cold but this trip was a one off so I'll stick with the waistcoat which I'm very pleased with.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Why anybody would do a motorcycle event in November in the UK is beyond me. Why don't they do it during the "normal" riding season when people might actually come with their motorcycles?

post #7 of 10 Old 11-22-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Heated grips will solve that.
I know but I'm running on a tiny budget.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Why anybody would do a motorcycle event in November in the UK is beyond me. Why don't they do it during the "normal" riding season when people might actually come with their motorcycles?

November does seem like an odd time of year in the northern hemisphere for a big motorcycle show. Here in the US, late fall/early winter is when the winter sports shows (Snowmobile & Ski) happen... whereas the big motorcycle shows happen here in the late winter, typically February or March, in anticipation of spring and the coming new riding season.

As I'm typing this it's 16 F outside, with snow on the way tonight... reading Keith's description of his ride to & from the bike show had me loading some more wood in the fireplace.
Keith likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 11-22-2018 at 11:30 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-24-2018, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The big UK show has been in November for as long as I have been aware of it. Why? I don't know.
Maybe it's to get the following year's new models out on show as soon as possible after the big European show in Milan? Maybe attendance is better at a time when less people are holidaying or out enjoying warmer weather?

The organisers do offer free secure parking for bikes in a storage hanger. Car parking is 10. When I got there this year there must have been a couple of hundred bikes parked, presumably most of them far more local than me. When I rode up last year the weather was dry and around 15C. The bike park was packed then.

If you've got a bit of spare time and want to see some full on winter riding, take a look at this video.
Schroeder likes this.

Last edited by Keith; 11-24-2018 at 05:04 AM. Reason: To add video link
post #10 of 10 Old 11-24-2018, 06:12 AM

A funny French guy?

I thought only us Germans had humor....
Keith likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page