Riding pants for commuting - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 07-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madd-trapper View Post
You guys take this stuff way to seriously. Shorts and Crocs for me.
With that outfit you'll fit in great out in Sturgis. Maybe a H-D wife beater to top it off?

~Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madd-trapper View Post
You guys take this stuff way to seriously. Shorts and Crocs for me.
It doesn't take much to wind some people up. Challenging religiously held mantras does it nicely; you gotta love it.

there are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists,
but you seldom meet an old bold motorcyclist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Michael; 07-22-2011 at 07:23 PM.
post #23 of 28 Old 07-23-2011, 11:27 AM

I'd gotten a good set of First Gear road leathers (not race) sized to fit over regular clothing. Served really well for 15+ years and counting but not so convenient for those times when the ride is not the main reason for going somewhere.

IMHO, the advent of 'armored' textiles that were designed to go easily over clothing has made it much more convenient to wear something to help out in case of a slide.

That said, I've gotten a set of low priced Cycle Gear Bilt 'race' jacket and pants leathers (they are not really good enough to have the word 'race' associated with them) and commute in those. I sized them to fit over clothing. Getting out of them after arriving at work only takes about a minute.. They are perforated and are probably good for up to 90 degrees F before I'd want to go textile.

Last edited by furious_blue; 07-23-2011 at 11:31 AM.

post #24 of 28 Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 PM

Isn't NGAOTT (No gear any of the time) a religiously held mantra as well..
lmfao, sure sounds like it to me
post #25 of 28 Old 07-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVOKNIO View Post
With that outfit you'll fit in great out in Sturgis. Maybe a H-D wife beater to top it off?

lol

~w0rM
2011 Black CBR250r
2006 Silver Alloy Nissan 350z
post #26 of 28 Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdklls View Post
Isn't NGAOTT (No gear any of the time) a religiously held mantra as well..
lmfao, sure sounds like it to me
Oh I see, you want a response.

Having ranted on about me being a loony lefty (therefore presumably unworthy of an opinion or voice) I would have thought you would have taken RVOKINO's advice and put me on your ignore list.

Having been raised a hill country farm hick, and spent over 25 years of my working life as a farm labourer, my neck is redder than many. A career change a dozen years ago is the result of being aware and adapting to circumstances, rather than being a bland reactionary numbskull.

At no stage have I advocated No Gear Any Of The Time, though a butt naked blast along some beach might be a fun thing to do.

Wearing kevlar gear and riding with a bulletproof attitude is a recipe for disaster.

when that dogs jumps out from behind a bush from 5 feet away or or there is 3 cubic yards of gravel from someones driveway in your lane in a sharp corner and theres oncoming traffic...getting the picture?...

Yup, I get the picture. All that and more around these parts, and other parts I have lived. Nothing is unexpected.

Expect nothing and you will not be surprised..... There's a nice mantra for ya'll.

there are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists,
but you seldom meet an old bold motorcyclist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Michael; 07-24-2011 at 12:16 AM.
post #27 of 28 Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Garage

~w0rM
2011 Black CBR250r
2006 Silver Alloy Nissan 350z
post #28 of 28 Old 07-24-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

I was afraid it would go this way. Since I started it I'll summarize and the forum folks can lock it if you want.

1. Wear gear, but don't expect it to make up for shortfalls in awareness.
2. Wear appropriate gear. If going for the twisties or high speeds, leather. If commuting, gear up if you want, but be prepared to accept the consequences if you don't. A short 30mph jaunt to the local restaurant maybe doesn't require much more than jeans.

I mostly started this thread to level set and find logic in it all. I haven't ridden in 20 years, and when I did I had what would have been a fatal accident without a helmet. I was feeling a bit like a cooked duck with everything on all the time. The other bikers I saw were riding in jeans and the occasional pair of shorts making me question my potentially overbearing choices.

I DID benefit from this thread, no matter how much it weaved in and out of reality. For that I thank you all.

'njoy,
awk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page