Suggestion - Spam Bots - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 09-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Just a guess, but this forum gets a lot of traffic. More traffic = more chances to make money on spam. Simple as that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
The question I've been asking myself lately is why the spammers seem to target this site. Do other motorcycle forums have this much spam coming into their sites on a daily basis? Is CBR250.net their chosen site to target for some particular reason? I could understand that something like a gaming site would be a likely target for the specific kind of spam we get here, the online TV & Movie stuff. We use to get a lot of spam that was all about selling electronics, iphones and such... those kinds of spam haven't been seen here in quite a while.

What is it about this particular website that draws the spammers here?

I wonder if the new Grom site gets its share of spam?
Spammers use Google searches and bot crawlers to look for sites worth spamming. The better the Google rank, the better the spam hopes.

Another way to limit spam is to force all users to stay post moderated until they post in the introduction forum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to jayuup For This Useful Post:
MotoMike (09-14-2013)
post #13 of 16 Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuup View Post
Spammers use Google searches and bot crawlers to look for sites worth spamming. The better the Google rank, the better the spam hopes.

Another way to limit spam is to force all users to stay post moderated until they post in the introduction forum.
As I recall, this is what they do over at the CBR600RR.net site.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

post #14 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 AM

They do it on the gixxer.com forum too, I see the same spammers on here as I do there. All the sites to spam are listed at the very bottom of this page under the "motorcycle.com network".

Give all the members ability to ban other members with less than 5 posts. We'll take it from there.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
Give all the members ability to ban other members with less than 5 posts. We'll take it from there.
Lol. From what I've seen, anyone starting an exhaust thread or didn't do a search would be banned for life. A lot of peeps here are too critical of content boring them to allow that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #16 of 16 Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah making it where either A. They need posts accepted before they can ever post if they have less than 1 post. Or B. You have to post in Introductions to be able to unlock your account but then you'll have spam bots just hit that section and then go on a spam spree.

Either way, All online boards have to deal with spambots. Speaking of, One is posting on here right now.

But yeah, I think Moderation Panel would be the best solution here, Like this morning our forums had a lot of bot posts but none went visible because of Moderation Panel.

This is how it ends up looking via internally and other forum members never seen them.

So yeah, I think an admin should think about it and make it where these forums don't have to deal with spam, A and B work and either would be great to have added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page