Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/)
-   Site News & Feedback (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/site-news-feedback/)
-   -   My first controversial topic (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/site-news-feedback/37722-my-first-controversial-topic.html)

5005 06-16-2014 07:59 AM

My first controversial topic

First I am not one to be a controversial topic started or talk about stuff like this, and I know This post Will leave piss soaked Wheaties in some members cereal bowls so I apologize , but I just got to say something , CHILL THE F OUT LOL

I have already read 3 topics since last night where members get all bent out of shape that some one ask a question that may had al;ready been answered like say 2 years ago lol.

It seems "1/3" of the members here get upset so easy ABOUT REPEAT POST TOPICS . I see people saying stuff to other members, like did you search the forum before you wrote this, who cares , help them and move on and don't be a dick head and I can't help but to read your comment and in my mind, your sounding like a old lady whining lol

I mean Good god who cares , really Man when I started riding my bike, I assumed people who rode sport bikes aka crotch rockets were chill and not so obsessed with silly stuff and I can't help but laugh at how upset they seem to get.

if someone writes something and if you don't like that it is a repeat of something already talked about LIKE 2 years ago then don't reply, no need to rip the member a new one for asking a Question. people will say well all they have to do is search the forum, they could search the internet too for that matter so if you all want to get upset over that then maybe the forum is a repeat of topics talk about on the internet and we shouldn't use the forum and just search the internet . seems to me at some point if we only search the forum and do not post then it will be a dead forum , let people ask questions for god sake !

then it seems some members get upset that someone brought a 2 year old topic back to life to ask a question, lol seems to me, your da:)mn if you do and Da:)mn if you dont lol

I am sure "1/3 "of you will disagree with me over this .

ANy ways all I want to say is CHILL OUT LOL and dont get so bent out of shape.

Joeboo 06-16-2014 08:04 AM

Seriously ..... Did you even try to use the search ??? Lol

5005 06-16-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeboo (Post 404770)
Seriously ..... Did you even try to use the search ??? Lol

lol maybe I should have searched the forum to see if this topic was already covered , repeat of topics

I am being a bit of a instigator here I know

Dalap 06-16-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Freedom and Liberty
Good to see an other European on here. :)

Keith 06-16-2014 09:31 AM

Dalap, you're like a moth to a light! I saw the word 'controversial' in the title and knew you'd be here.

Well said Billy.

Bikelife38 06-16-2014 10:06 AM

i definitely agree with you on this. some people get so bent out of shape. but i will admit i have seen some things people have posted that are pretty pathetic

MotoMike 06-16-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyapb1071 (Post 404762)
... seems to me at some point if we only search the forum and do not post then it will be a dead forum , let people ask questions for god sake...

Nothing wrong with asking questions Billy... at the same time, if someone wants to know something about Leo Vince exhausts, for example, there must be at least 30 existing threads about LV slip-ons. Easy enough to pick one of those threads and ask the question in that thread. Exhausts for the CBR250R are not like iphones or computers, they don't change or become obsolete every six months... info posted a year ago on an LV slip-on is just as valid today as it was when it was first posted. Ditto for 'How to change the oil & filter' or 'What's the the best oil for the 250R'... there is simply no reason to start new threads on topics like these. It's not that hard to dig up the existing thread and post your question there, especially when some of these threads are at the top of the forums as stickies.

Quote:

... then it seems some members get upset that someone brought a 2 year old topic back to life to ask a question, lol seems to me, your da:)mn if you do and Da:)mn if you dont lol...
I haven't seen anyone getting bent out of shape because someone bumped an old thread to the top of a forum by adding a new post... can you cite an example of this?

Quote:

... Any ways all I want to say is CHILL OUT LOL and dont get so bent out of shape.
For a member to suggest that another member use the search function for information that already has dozens of existing threads, doesn't mean they are 'bent out of shape'. For example, I recently suggested that a member check through the Parts & Accessories forum for info on saddle bags & mounting systems. Why?... for one reason, there is a lot of very good information already existing in that forum which other members who have hands on experience spent a fair amount of their valuable time writing detailed info on the subject... and two, Saddle Bags is a subject that is fairly specialized. You're not going to find a whole lot of members here who have their bikes set up with full luggage, so someone who starts a new thread on the topic may not get much in the way of replies based on who happens to see their thread or happens to be online at the time.

CBR250R 06-16-2014 11:37 AM

I have no problem with members who have at least made some kind of attempt to search for a topic and then have decided to ask for help when they've come up empty. There are a lot of issues discussed on this forum and many threads run real deep. Occasionally I will search for a topic that I remember from some time ago using key words that I thought were unique to the thread - and it still takes considerable time and effort to find what I'm looking for (I and too come up empty at times). So I can sympathize. But I inadvertently learn something in the process. In the course of searching for a topic, I end up learning a lot by browsing some topics that might be related to the topic I'm curious about. Even if I don't find my answer - I've actually learned something! I end up learning more about motorcycles and riding in general - and gain insight into the knowledge and experience of some of the more eminent posters on this forum.

I think it might be more appropriate for a member (new member?) to begin such a thread by writing something like: "I've searched this forum for _____ topic and for some reason I haven't been able to find the information I'm looking for. Can someone with more knowledge of this forum help lend me a hand? Perhaps post a link or lead me in the right direction?" This kind of request seems both considerate and respectful to me. And if I CAN help - I'd really feel compelled to do so.

With that said - in my humble opinion - I find it rather disrespectful to other forum members - and the overall culture of any online forum - as a new member - to ask a question that is remarkably easy to find using a quick, simple, and easy search. Does it upset me? No. And it probably doesn't upset relatively new members either - as they haven't had to witness these kind of requests with nearly as much frequency as the senior members here. It's easy for newer members to forget this.

In my experience - forum communities thrive on a nice balance of give and take. And it's disrespectful to join a community sporting a stout sense of entitlement that includes expecting others to serve you graciously - even when the topic has been asked and addressed repeatedly - and it seems like the question is straight-forward and innocuous. When you visit a new country or new community in your country that shares a different culture than yours do you make an attempt to learn a bit about the culture? Do you make some attempt to speak the language and show respect? Are you polite and respectful toward members of this culture? Or do you have no interest? Do you immediate start making demands and then when your demands aren't met politely you become angry and disparage the group because you don't want to put in the effort to learn about them and their values?

It reminds me of Pink Floyd's song "Have A Cigar". Apparently, the song was written about their experience with the "business end" of recording contracts. A "suit" says to them "Well, I've always had a deep respect, and I mean that most sincerely. The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way, which one's Pink? No interest or effort toward learning about the band.

For some members - they'd prefer to say "Give me the facts. I don't really care to learn more about this forum and the members who frequent it. All I want is some information and I want it now, and I have no patience if you won't serve me with a smile and not approach my question with the utmost courtesy. If you don't respond to my first post in a way that's to my liking - I will also respond with immediate anger, outrage, and startling indignance - further revealing that my initial disrespectful topic request didn't arise out of pure chance.

Mike

5005 06-16-2014 12:27 PM

at Mike , you wrote this > 'What's the the best oil for the 250R'... there is simply no reason to start new threads on topics like these. It's not that hard to dig up the existing thread and post your question there, especially when some of these threads are at the top of the forums as stickies.

Well we all could also search the internet google for the same answer and there would be simply no reason to have this forum at all then ! If forum members want to discourage questions being asked because they were asked before in this forum and the senior members want to encourage searching the forum for answers, then it serves no more of a purpose then google does and there is the Q, why even have the forum if members are going to say search the forum, hell search google then and get the same answers in most cases I bet !

I am not trying to be nasty but you all need to stop using the response to search the forum, if members wanted to search for a Q then they could use google to do that. It just makes this forum hostile when members act that way

Also yes I seen members ask why are old topics being brought up again like we just killed their grandmom, don't tell me you have never seen a member be a bit upset a old topic was brought up again

There is a difference in replaying to someone topic and saying this saddle bag could work for you and also you can also search the forum for more answers to what saddle bag works best, but I read some who simply say, could you please search the forum and not post a new Q here. sorry that is a hostile response

Also i just used saddlebag as a example ! it could be oil filters, tire questions etc

MotoMike 06-16-2014 01:00 PM

So let me ask you this Billy... what is the point of having stickies?

Or for that matter, what is the reason for having any threads on this website archived?

Would these forums be more useful if every thread were just deleted after a few days, that way we can all just start new threads just to rehash the same old "same old"?

Your argument that people shouldn't use the search function, or scroll through existing threads in the various forums to find info, sounds a bit like you're defending laziness.

The way I see it, if a person has the time to be online and active on this site, they obviously have the time to make an effort to do a little bit of research before starting a new thread that has very likely been covered previously in number of other threads.