Browser Hijacker? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-02-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Browser Hijacker?

Hi all,

over the last two days my browser gets hijacked when I'm on this site (and so far only on this site).
When clicking on a topic it will appear briefly and then the browser gets redirected to a fake warning like this:

It usually tells me to update my Java installation which is bullox of course and comes in several variations.
I made a full system scan with Avira and Spybot Search & Destroy which turned up nothing.
Could it be that this site is somehow infected?

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Garage
What browser do you use?

Simple fix is download a free addon called Adblock.

If you use Chrome, which everyone should now days, then it is easy to get for Chrome and once installed you'll never see ads again on any website and you won't ever get those re-directed links.

Not sure what browser that is in the screenshot, but doesn't look like chrome. Either way just Google "Adblock for XXXX Browser". I know for sure they make it for all the popular browsers.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

It's Firefox and I know there are adblockers, just not sure it comes from the ads. I usually don't use adblocks as the ads are often the means with which the sites I frequent finance themselves.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 01:26 AM

The Following User Says Thank You to beefsalad For This Useful Post:
Schroeder (11-03-2014)
post #5 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 08:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I usually don't use adblocks as the ads are often the means with which the sites I frequent finance themselves.
Never heard that one before. Anyways, they get paid when you click ads, not look at them.

Don't worry about this forums financing, they have plenty of $$ from all their forums charging people for memberships. If you want to help them with $$ get a membership. But dang, I never heard anyone say they actually want to see ads. Normally I install Adblock on peoples computer and they are excited to not see ads, and if the comp is slow or the internet is slow, pages load quicker since there is less to load.

Anyways, hope you figure out your problem.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrethul View Post
Never heard that one before. Anyways, they get paid when you click ads, not look at them.

Don't worry about this forums financing, they have plenty of $$ from all their forums charging people for memberships. If you want to help them with $$ get a membership. But dang, I never heard anyone say they actually want to see ads. Normally I install Adblock on peoples computer and they are excited to not see ads, and if the comp is slow or the internet is slow, pages load quicker since there is less to load.

Anyways, hope you figure out your problem.
The ads just need to show, there is no need to click on them. I know another forum and the owner said it's enough not to block them to generate some money (ad least with a google ad bar, not sure whether there are others or whether they would need to be clicked).

Last edited by Schroeder; 11-03-2014 at 08:21 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
The ads just need to show, there is no need to click on them. I know another forum and the owner said it's enough not to block them to generate some money (ad least with a google ad bar, not sure whether there are others or whether they would need to be clicked).
Well the old game server I used to run, we had multiple ads on our home page and we were paid depending on how much traffic goes to the website, and how many total people clicked was also how you'd get more $$. And the amount you get paid from it is very low, even with a high traffic website (At least 10,000 people per day on the server I ran, WoW Server ofc).

Believe me, you won't hurt anyone by blocking ads. They probably get paid around $0.0001 for your traffic. lol

Also it can't detect if you are running Adblock, so they would still be paid for your traffic if they are paid by how much traffic goes to the website.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot then.
The good news is the hijack hasn't reappeared so far.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
regular site user, no problem with firefox..

ads,, are deliberate brain manipulation
based on repetition of conditioning repeats..

the first step is - acceptance -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page