belatedly going digital - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Garage
To stop killing cameras, I finally broke down and bought a Panasonic DMC-TS1, which was about as indestructible a camera as was on the market a couple of years ago. It has survived several crashes and still works despite a dent in front and a crack in the rear display screen.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
To stop killing cameras, I finally broke down and bought a Panasonic DMC-TS1, which was about as indestructible a camera as was on the market a couple of years ago. It has survived several crashes and still works despite a dent in front and a crack in the rear display screen.
The TG310 I got is at the bottom end of the Olympus Tough series, and pretty good value at about $US120. It seems they had just three left which they wanted to clear. The TG320 is now available at twice the price.

It is a good place to start, and good to carry around without having to take much care. I don't know how long it will last, but everything wears out eventually. I would be inclined to replace it with something more shock and water proof, and with GPS, when the time comes.

Before that, now my interest in photograpy is rekindled I'll probably acquire something like a Canon G series or a Fujifilm X series, with an underwater housing. They would require more care, but can capture better quality images.

there are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists,
but you seldom meet an old bold motorcyclist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This thread has been useful for me to learn from the suggestions of others and to try things out. Maybe it has been useful to others as well.

By way of keeping things together, here is a bit copied from my https://www.cbr250.net/forum/ride-rep...ning-ride.html thread. It seems to belong here.

Originally Posted by Empty Sea
I'm trying to figure out how to plot the map the way you did and then save it, but I'm not having the best of luck with google maps.

Thanks to Autfitt, spdklls, and etiainen for pointing me in the right direction.

First plot the route using the "Get Directions" function on Google maps. That gives the route marked in blue.

Then I took a screen shot as suggested by etaiinen for Mac. ERrunner tells how it can be done on a PC.

That left an image on the desktop to upload to the image hosting service. Once there it can be used just like any other picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer
How do you incorporate the photos with the words?

As I tell my students, it is all about taking time, and planing. When I went out I already had in mind what I wanted to do.

I chose the pictures I wanted to use, and uploaded them to Tinypic.

After writing the text off-line and planning where to put the pictures, I went on-line. There it was copy and paste the text, and formatting it as I added the pictures from Tinypic individually, in the appropriate places.

..... And then I appreciated the effort that others have put into their trip reports!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Michael; 07-10-2012 at 12:52 AM.

post #24 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I bought the Fujifilm X10 about a month ago, and was well pleased with it in use, and the results. No shutter lag to speak of, and much better quality pictures. As my pictures are used quite a bit to go with reports of Phuket cricket activities in the local press, and on the PCG website, getting sharper pictures to work from is worthwhile.

Still, being more delicate than the Olympus TG 310, the X10 is not the kind of camera I can just carry with me when I am out and about, in the rain or wherever..... but for now I am stuck with the TG310. After about three weeks a problem developed with the X10, so I took it back to the shop to get sorted. They reckon it will be about 6 - 7 weeks before they get it back to me!

Phuket, just bowled - TG310

Phuket about to bowl - X10

Hermine fielding - X10

From my desk - X10

From my desk; cropped

Pretty girl, flowery bicycle - TG310

Motorcycle rain gear - TG310

Last edited by Michael; 04-08-2013 at 10:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:
Wynne G Oldman (04-09-2013)
post #25 of 29 Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM

Hold on.... Phuket is a real place?!?!

Beware of Buffalos
post #26 of 29 Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 PM

Thanks for sharing, always neat to see different places.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 790 Posts
You are very lucky to have such a fantastic view from your desk Michael.

post #28 of 29 Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
I really miss Phuket

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
)
post #29 of 29 Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaShampoo View Post
Hold on.... Phuket is a real place?!?!
Yes, Phuket is for real; it's an island, and a province in Thailand, with motorcycles everywhere. They outnumber cars by about three to one.

Phuket is also the name of the young fellow in the picture. His father works for a friend who also has three kids of his own, is keen on sport, and does a great job of coaching youngsters. Since coming to Saturday morning cricket Phuket's self confidence and English have moved on, and he has been bumped up a class for English lessons at the state school he attends.

I am no cricketer (for us at a small rural school in NZ it was just an activity in the month between athletics and winter sport; we had no school team) but what like about the game is the social aspect. It can be played at various levels and is a great way for people of various social backgrounds to meet; and Phuket's population is quite diverse Most of the kids who come on Saturday mornings are the off-spring of ex-pats, but we have also introduced the game to kids at state, private Thai system, and "international" schools. It is great to get them all together to play against each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne G Oldman View Post
You are very lucky to have such a fantastic view from your desk Michael.
Yup, sure am....

And lucky that I don't have to sit in the office at work, windowless, air-conditioned and artificially lit. I do most of my work out of class in my naturally airy apartment, just 5 minutes by bicycle from campus. I am only on campus for classes, or when I need to meet students outside of class. Then it is outside, under some trees, not in that dreary office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_to_ride View Post
I really miss Phuket
A lot of people return to visit year after year, with good reason. More than a few come to settle here. For me it was happenstance rather than planned.

Would / will I miss it when I move on, as sooner or later I must?

Some aspects maybe, but I have lived in various places that have been good in different ways. It is a wonderful, and interesting world that we are blessed to live in.....!

Last edited by Michael; 04-09-2013 at 10:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:
LlamaShampoo (04-10-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page