belatedly going digital - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
belatedly going digital

Just got a digital camera, at last - checking out how this attaching pictures lark works

..... well that wasn't too difficult, but I think I can make it a bit bigger in future.

The picture is from my balcony / kitchen at dawn this morning. As with most dwellings in Thailand, the kitchen is not inside.

We have had a series of storms, and have hardly seen the sun, or a decent sunrise for several weeks now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Another wet dawn - June 12.jpg (19.1 KB, 138 views)

there are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists,
but you seldom meet an old bold motorcyclist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Michael; 06-07-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Nice pic michael.

Now you have a digital camera, get a photobucket or Tinypic account to host pics online. make them 600 or 800 pixels

post #3 of 29 Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Tinypic.com is way easier and 10 times faster than trying to upload to photobucket in my opinion....I tried both...

Welcome to the 21st century ole buddy

I DONT BELIEVE ANYTHING I READ AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT I SEE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to spdklls For This Useful Post:
Michael (06-09-2012)

post #4 of 29 Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 PM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Yes Tinypic is very good.

TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Good for any Neo Ludite

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
Michael (06-09-2012)
post #5 of 29 Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 AM

rsync -av Pictures_Folder remote_site:/dir

Yes, that's how I copy my pictures. Or some variation of that.(I host my own pics)

Photoblogs also let you host pictures as well. They can be organized the way you want in galleries, etc.

And welcome to the digital age. It's so much fun here.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-08-2012, 09:01 AM

What camera did you get?
post #7 of 29 Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, for the heads up on photo hosting. I'll be getting that sussed over the next little while. I had seen the term before, but it had me beat; now it starts to make sense.

With a new semester starting next week and a rugby match to watch this afternoon I have other immediate priorities. I'll be hoping either New Zealand or Ireland win the game......I have passports for both!

I got a little Olympus (edit!) Tough job. It can take a bit of knock, rain, and a shallow dunking.

I was looking at the Canon G series, or the Fujifilm Finepix X10 because they can be set manually, have an optical viewfinder, and the main controls are not too fiddly. In other words, not to dissimilar from photography as I know it, from the image capture point of view at least. I wore out a couple of Ricoh rangefinder 35mm cameras. However, they are a bit beyond my local salary. It would have been doable with funds from home, but something I prefer avoid doing.

The local Tesco supermarket had a stocktaking sale on, with the TG-310 going for a tenth of what I would have had to budget for a G12 or an X10, so it became an impulse purchase by my standards. I went back the next day. It makes sense to cut my digital teeth on.

Edit: Whats with this super polite "thanks" malarky that has popped up? A simple "like" button would be nice though.

Last edited by Michael; 06-09-2012 at 08:59 AM.
post #8 of 29 Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I went into the office today, to get some photocopying done, and then went for a ride. as the rain let up for a bit. I signed up to TinyPic this evening. Now lets see how things have turned out........ On editing I got it right it seems. Sorry the pictures are not that good. I am still learning to use the camera.

The surf is all all over the place after several days of storms, but once it settles down some Phuket beaches produce reasonable surf throughout the May to November monsoon. They can be dangerous for swimming though, with strong rips and undertow. It's not for nothing that it is often called the drowning season, with several already this year. From December to April the sea and the beaches are quite benign.

I was after a photo of the Honda Wave with a side car full of LPG tanks. I knew it was coming, and that it would not be going too fast. Just as pressed the shutter release the other bike zoomed into the frame. I'll have to suss scanning if I want action shots.... it's easier with an optical viewfinder and the camera against my face.

Lots of motorcycles parked in front of my office. They are all little 100 - 125 cc machines. I have seen only a few CBR150R's on campus, and have yet to see a 250. The bicycle is mine. It is used for day to day getting around within a 5 to 10 km radius of home. I have had it for 9 years, probably the best value for money $150 I have ever spent.

No one works in the office; it's too gloomy. Like my colleagues, I do most of my work at home. If I want to meet students I sit at a table under the trees.

Scanning practice needed again, and heavy rain didn't help. A common sight; three girls on a motorcycle.... They are not very big so there still room for more; one in front of the driver, and another perched on the back.

Last edited by Michael; 06-09-2012 at 10:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (06-09-2012), hondafan (06-30-2012)
post #9 of 29 Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
Which beach is that?

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
)
post #10 of 29 Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_to_ride View Post
Which beach is that?
Nai Harn, Phuket; there was quite a lot going on as people came out after the storm. A metre and a half depth of sand had disappeared from the beach. It will be dumped to create a bar a bit off shore, which should be good for the surf. Once the monsoon is gone the sand gets returned to the beach.

Last edited by Michael; 06-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page