Attention - Changes to the site newsletter. - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

6Likes
  • 2 Post By Administrator
  • 2 Post By Big F1 Fan
  • 1 Post By MotoMike
  • 1 Post By Administrator

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-21-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Attention - Changes to the site newsletter.

Hello,

We are pleased to announce we will be implementing a new method to send out site newsletters. The new newsletter will have a cleaner template and will be sent to participating forum members once a week. We have added an example below of how it will look. This change will not have any negative impact to current newsletters and will not lead to any site downtime. If you have any questions please post them below.

Thank you

Community Support
TrueFaith and Bluerider like this.

If you need Admin assistance please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 AM

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
Sorry for the tongue in cheek question, but who is it that thought "gap's" was the correct way to use the word in the sentence "Anyone who has found a way to fill the gap's?"

The more time I spend online, the less hope I have for a literate next generation. I know it's just online conversation, and that online banter is regarded as a less formal way to communicate - but dang. Grammar and spelling rules were instituted for valid reasons, and I can't decide if the schools aren't teaching them or if folks just don't care. I drilled the fact that "words mean things" into the head of my daughter as she was growing up, and like it or not she WILL be judged by people on how she speaks and writes as she goes into the world of higher education and then on to her chosen profession, and I'm proud to say that it seemed to have stuck with her. I wish I could say the same about her friends and others in her peer group.

Again, I'm sorry to put this early morning rant by some anonymous internet grammar crusader in such a strange place, but I just had to vent a little after seeing this so early this morning.

Patiently waiting for Spring weather to arrive but happy for F1 to start up this weekend-
Big F1 Fan
Keith and sactoCBR like this.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....

Last edited by Big F1 Fan; 03-23-2018 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling error, word omission
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

LOL! I totally agree with you @Big F1 Fan and, rest assured, the word "gap's" was just an overlooked typo! I'm not sure who put together the sample Newsletter, but I'll be sure to give them a hard time about their spelling/punctuation. I'm sure mine is not perfect either (I tend to overuse the comma when I write), but "gap's" is a pretty obvious one!

I second your motion for a real spring - bring it on! Enjoy your weekend.

Cheers,

Erik

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-24-2018, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big F1 Fan View Post
Sorry for the tongue in cheek question, but who is it that thought "gap's" was the correct way to use the word in the sentence "Anyone who has found a way to fill the gap's?"

The more time I spend online, the less hope I have for a literate next generation. I know it's just online conversation, and that online banter is regarded as a less formal way to communicate - but dang. Grammar and spelling rules were instituted for valid reasons, and I can't decide if the schools aren't teaching them or if folks just don't care. I drilled the fact that "words mean things" into the head of my daughter as she was growing up, and like it or not she WILL be judged by people on how she speaks and writes as she goes into the world of higher education and then on to her chosen profession, and I'm proud to say that it seemed to have stuck with her. I wish I could say the same about her friends and others in her peer group.

Again, I'm sorry to put this early morning rant by some anonymous internet grammar crusader in such a strange place, but I just had to vent a little after seeing this so early this morning.

Patiently waiting for Spring weather to arrive but happy for F1 to start up this weekend-
Big F1 Fan
On the positive side, at least it wasn't written as "Anyone that has found a way...?".

Can't tell you how often I see people use the word that in place of the grammatically correct who on internet forums. On various motorsports forums, the classic example I frequently see is something like "I went by the local dealer that was selling those (fill in the blank) for ($XXXXX)."
Big F1 Fan likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #5 of 10 Old 03-25-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
On the positive side, at least it wasn't written as "Anyone that has found a way...?".

Can't tell you how often I see people use the word that in place of the grammatically correct who on internet forums. On various motorsports forums, the classic example I frequently see is something like "I went by the local dealer that was selling those (fill in the blank) for ($XXXXX)."
Hmm.... I think I've just learned something.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2018, 04:35 AM

Garage
As a regular on several cycling forums I far too often see people writing 'peddles' instead of 'pedals'. Is there no hope?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Their is none...

Kevin
Keith likes this.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
@Administrator - I'm sorry if it looked as if I thought you were responsible for the error Erik. I was fairly sure that you had just copy and pasted a template that you'd found elsewhere, and that the mistake wasn't your own. I also think I have a tendency to overuse commas when I write, unfortunately. I am well aware that I make my fair share of mistakes when I write, but I really hope that they're not as obvious as most of the ones that I see. One more blatant error I feel compelled to complain about here, since I've seen it multiple times today and countless times lately, is the substitution of "loose" for "lose." I so wish that seeing that ridiculous mistake didn't do such horrible things to my blood pressure, but, it does, and it truly drives me nuts. Argh!
As far as Spring, the weather up here near Chicago seems to be stuck in the high 30's to low 40's. Just on the edge of seeming to be comfortable enough to get out and ride, then turning to regret about 3 miles down the road after I realize that it just really needs to be about 10 degrees warmer to be comfortable. I've never been as ready for a Spring to arrive as I am now, my first one as a motorcycle rider, so of course since I'm anticipating it so much, it's going to seem like forever to arrive, but then I'll appreciate it that much more when it finally does. At least that's what I keep telling myself, haha.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-26-2018, 01:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Their is none...

Kevin
Your write, where fiteing a loosing baddle.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Another really common misspelled word is ridding, instead of riding. Also the often mixed up use of their, they're, and there. Another one I notice quite often is Add instead of Ad as the abbreviation for Advertisement.

Education failing miserably.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page