Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First things first, I tried a quick search and did not yield the results I was looking for, so here goes...

Has anyone run a 120/70/17 front tire instead of the 110/70/17 size?

I ask because although there are plenty of good 110/70 tires, my track bike (zx6r) runs a more common 120/70 tire and I would like to mount the track take-offs on the 250 when it's time.

With all due respect, I'm not really looking for don't do that because the manual says not to. I'm looking for first-hand accounts by those that have done it before. Did it work well? Any issues? And finally, good or bad idea if you were to do it all over again?

P.S. in case you missed it, I ride track on my zx6r, so I prefer grippy tires to the stock IRC's.

TL; DR ... do you run a 120/70 front tire?

·
Registered
16 Posts
CB, the 120 will do fine as we have used it on the track before. Do be advised though that the 110 will feel better as the 110 tire is spread across the wheel more and therefore allowing more of the contact patch of the tire to grip the track / road.

The 120 on the CBR250r wheel will have a SLIGHTLY high crown to it installed and not have as much contact patch on the track. An "A" or "B" compound & 29 psi to start with. TJ.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How about a 130/70 on the rear? Do you think it will have more contact patch than the 140/70 stock size? Or any rim issue etc... on it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
With a 130 on the rear the motor will spin up a little quicker.

But why change from the OEM recommended? Tire brand selections could be an issue. Are you saving a buck or are you at a limit as to where you reside? Is this the purpose for your question?

·
Registered
101 Posts
With a 130 on the rear the motor will spin up a little quicker.

But why change from the OEM recommended? Tire brand selections could be an issue. Are you saving a buck or are you at a limit as to where you reside? Is this the purpose for your question?
Somewhat saving, somewhat not. Also tire availabilty on my region. Just want to try a set of tires from Indonesia (FDR brand) but they only have 110/70 and a 130/70 set.

Maybe it will give some extra push. Like you said a little quicker. How about on cornering? Will the edge of the tire on the rim will cause some issues?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been running Bridgestones all season. I have an R10 front and it's awesome! However, they do not make an R10 rear and I'm limited to the BT003. The rear tire is where I need some improvement - with the speed and angles I'm at, the rear slides on a closed throttle and I even lost it once. So... I need a good suggestion for a dot-legal race tire with a better profile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts