Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm using the 12oClockLabs Speedo DRD to heal the speedometer error on my US version CBR250R. I run longer gearing so the speedo, which was originally very close at 1.4% low, is now 8.6% low with the change to a +1 tooth 15T front sprocket. The Speedo DRD came with plug and play connectors which were correct for the bike so the install took about half an hour. I could do it again in about 5 minutes. Programming is also very easy by following the instructions. One button selects the menu choice and the digits of the percentage of the correction you need. Another 5 minutes and you are ready to fine tune it out on the road using a GPS speed read out such as your cell phone, or in my case where I put the emphasis on accurate mileage, the mile markers on a highway. Luckily the US bikes seem to read the same for speed and distance whereas the rest of world bikes come with accurate distance but 8% too high on the speed.
To install you just remove the left fairing and sneak the front of the black fairing from under the seat as in the photo.
There is a rubber boot covering several connectors. Find the one that looks like it will plug into the Speedo DRD and tug on the wire to make sure it is the correct wire coming over from the speed sensor which sticks straight up from the case inside of the clutch cable arm near the big ground wire as in the next photo.
Run the unit and wiring up the frame tube and mount to the body work near the fork with two sided tape and a tie strap. I put it there so I can still press the button and see the flashes whenever I want to change it again.
It can also read out the highest top speed since reset for top speed runs.
You can play with the initial programming before running it up and sticking it into place to get the hang of it and then stick it down to go out and fine tune on the road.
It isn't exactly cheap but the design is so well thought out that the simple install is worth letting them make some money. I am very happy to have my odo dead accurate and recommend the 12oClockLabs Speedo DRD.
12oClockLabs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hmm....the lack of accurate speed was a big reason why I didn't want to slap on a 15T for trips. I may need to reconsider.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Speedo DRD will obviously effect the speedo and odo by the same amount. There may be a trim pot for the speedo needle on the main circuit board if you tear the instrument cluster down that far. You could then use the signal generator function of the DRD to see where the needle is first, and then turn it down by the calculated percentage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heads up for ABS owners regarding the SpeedoDRD from 12oClockLabs ... I contacted 12oClockLabs and clarified that I had the ABS version of the 2011 CBR250R, and they said: "we do have a plug and play model for the 2011 CBR250R, it's model S1, but because the bike has ABS we don't actually recommend using the plug and play model on it, you can use it, but their [sic] is a possibility the altered speed signal may afect [sic] the BS algorithm on the bike, it depends on if the bike's ECU uses only the BS sensors on the wheel for it's calculations, or if it uses the Vehicle Speed sensor as well for ABS calculations. For ABS bikes we recommend model U1, which can intercept the signal right before it enters into the gauge cluster, model U1 does require wiring in 4 wires (positive, ground, signal in, signal out)"

Does anyone know which of the above scenarios of ABS the ECU of the 2011 Honda CBR250R with ABS uses ?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know which of the above scenarios of ABS the ECU of the 2011 Honda CBR250R with ABS uses ?
Good question. No way to know but to try it. I would make an educated guess and say that ABS will still work fine with the plug and play Speedo DRD. A bike with traction control and fly by wire throttle might not like it though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had the Speedo DRD for a while. My speedo was 9% high and it is now accurate compared to my GPS. Recently I did a check on my odometer to see how the Speedo DRD affected it. The odometer is now reading 9% low compared to GPS. Not a big problem and I would rather have an accurate speedometer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just installed my speedodrd today. Just want to note the great customer service I got from 12oclock labs.

I was under the impression that the there were 3 electrical connectors bunched together...and none of them matched the connector on the drd...so i emailed the company and i had a response with an pdf file with a picture of the connector from the honda manual. it turns out there were 4 connectors, and the only way i found the 4th, was by disconnecting the 3 in front of it. perhaps this will help someone (as dense as me) by saving a 1/2 hr or two of head scratching.

i did the initial run with a gps and found my speedo was reading 100/101 and the gps was at 91km/hr (canadian bike). I set the drd according to the instructions, but rain prevented me from a 2nd run to check the corrected speed. I was able to use the recall function to get the max speed...neat feature.

i do have one question. will this mod now affect the milage on the odometer by the same correction factor? I may do 20 runs to work and back this week. one with the correction value in place, and one with it cleared to check how the milage is affected.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
... i do have one question. will this mod now affect the milage on the odometer by the same correction factor?...
It took me a little while too, hunting down the connector to plug the DRD unit into.

There is no reason why it shouldn't apply the same correction factor programmed into the SpeedoDRD unit for the speedometer, to the odometer and trip meter... it's the same signal, which is being supplied from the speed sensor in the transmission. I'm using a SpeedoDRD to correct for the 13T front sprocket I installed. I've noticed that as my rear tire has now worn down quite a bit, my speedo has gone off a small amount... I'm not going to bother reprogramming the SpeedoDRD until I replace the tires. Hoping to get another 1000 miles on this set.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
This talk about throwing out the odometer to get the speedo reading properly makes me wonder if there is a way for the dealership to reset a value in the ECU to get both to read accurately. driving around Australia for the last month I'm beginning to wonder how many vehicles have their speedos out by 8%. I have been using a Garmin for navigation and have been using it's GPS for a speedometer because the van's was out by... 8%. I found that if i used the GPS I would be passing 85% of the people on the highway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"we do have a plug and play model for the 2011 CBR250R, it's model S1, but because the bike has ABS we don't actually recommend using the plug and play model on it, you can use it, but their [sic] is a possibility the altered speed signal may afect [sic] the BS algorithm on the bike

My ABS seems to work just fine with the plug'n'play speedoDRD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 13T sprocket is on the way, and I just want to ask if other people (now that it has become so popular!) with an ABS cbr250r has had any issues with the speedoDRD and if what tpaparsons wrote in post #6 is so important or not?

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I'm waiting for my healer to show up any day now. I have the ABS version and will be doing some testing also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just to bring this up for conversation purposes. On my GSXR the speedo was off from the factory however the odometer was not. They use the same signal point but it is calibrated differently for mph and trip odometer. So therefore on a stock bike if you bought a speedo healer your speed would be corrected but now your odemeter would be off. Read below for further explanation, it may be different on the Hondas however I doubt it

"The sensor, in conjunction with the rotor at the front sprocket, produces a square wave signal that goes to the cluster. The cluster counts the pulses and increments the odometer every X pulses, where X is a scaling factor for pulses to miles. The cluster also measures the time interval between pulses (frequency) and produces a MPH value from that, via another scaling factor. The scaling factors are such that, with OEM tires, gearing, etc., the odometer is pretty much dead on and the speedometer reads high by around 7%. The cluster has no problem doing this as it's making two separate measurements/calculations. There's no reason that the scaling factors have to be consistent with each other.

A consequence of this is that if you ride down the road at an indicated 60 MPH for an hour, the odometer will only advance about 56 miles instead of the expected 60 miles. Note that I said INDICATED. It doesn't matter if the speedometer is calibrated or not or if the gearing has been changed. This can only mean that Suzuki knew about this all along and purposely set the speedometer to read high.

The Speedohealer takes the sensor signal, changes its frequency according to the user setting, and sends it on to the cluster in place of the OEM signal. The cluster will count pulses faster or slower according the the user setting, and this affects the odometer. It will also measure a different time interval between pulses according to the same user setting, which will effect the speedometer. As the cluster and its scaling factors are unchanged, the Speedohealer's changes will equally affect both the odometer and the speedometer.

So decide which one you want to read correctly. The other will be in error.

The only way to get around this is to hack the cluster or buy a Translogic, etc. dash. The first has yet to be done and, unfortunately, probably never will. The second is expensive."

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
That has already been brought up. Unfortunately the only way to have both correct would be to get the factory to re-flash the ECU or as I mentioned, get a larger rear tire that throws out the speedo reading by the same amount as the error. Then they would negate each other and the odometer wouldn't be affected.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Received and installed my 12oClockLabs Speedo Healer tonight on my 2012 CBR250RA. It was a piece of cake and took less than half an hour to install and program. I had to put in a conversion factor of -15.1% to get the speedo to read within 1% of my GPS. That accounts for the 8% that the Canadian speedo is out and the 7.1% that the 13 tooth front gear causes. I tried various different braking scenarios to see if the ABS was affected by the conversion factor but couldn't find any difference. I will keep an eye on it for the next week or so.

Reactions: CBR_Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
^^ Thanks so much, would be great to hear more about the product and how its going with the ABS model. -15.1% sounds like a big adjustment for the speedo. Is it just the Canadian model CBR which has it's speedo 8% out from the factory, or is this something which is standard??

Also, I don't have a GPS unit to calculate how much I would be out by, is there another way to do this or should I start asking some friends to borrow one? How do you use the GPS to calculate the % the speedo is out by exactly?

·
Registered
192 Posts
^^ Thanks so much, would be great to hear more about the product and how its going with the ABS model. -15.1% sounds like a big adjustment for the speedo. Is it just the Canadian model CBR which has it's speedo 8% out from the factory, or is this something which is standard??

Also, I don't have a GPS unit to calculate how much I would be out by, is there another way to do this or should I start asking some friends to borrow one? How do you use the GPS to calculate the % the speedo is out by exactly?
Just about any smart phone will have a GPS app available...I taped my nexus 4 using.painters tape to do my runs...worked perfectly.

And.apparently all NON US models have the Speedo out by 7 to 9.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts