Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Gets the front wheel up quite easy, can only imagine what a 40t rear would do too.
:D well that sounds awesome. i am just looking forward to not having to downshift out of 6th so much. my girlfriend surprised me and ordered the sprocket while i was at work :) so now i just have to save up and buy the drd

·
Registered
229 Posts
:D well that sounds awesome. i am just looking forward to not having to downshift out of 6th so much. my girlfriend surprised me and ordered the sprocket while i was at work :) so now i just have to save up and buy the drd

I don't get enough torque to pull the front wheel but the benefit you seek, not having to downshift into 5th on the highway, is probably the biggest thing. You have enough power to pass in 6th and pull hills without downshifting.

I installed the DRD last night. Double check the error with a smart phone app first to see if its worth it. I am also going to retest mine today with a speedometer phone app which is free to see if I got the correction right. I'm most concerned about the odometer.

It really takes some time because you need to study the process to understand how to get to the right connection in the bundle.

It's not as easy as some would leave you to believe unless you have experience with these things like removing the fairings and disconnecting the bundles. ( Glad I have the shop manual). Be sure to find the 12 o'clock labs on line video and calculator, which is referenced in the instructions. You can do it but just be sure you get the right connection and figure out how it disconnects by depressing the locking tab on one side.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
... i am just looking forward to not having to downshift out of 6th so much...
You'll notice a big difference in how much better this bike performs at high altitude with the 13T sprocket.

I'm just up the road from you (in Eldorado, just outside of Santa Fe). Riding mountain roads like the ones going up to the S.F. Ski Basin, the Sandia ski area, and up in the Jemez Mountains (IMO, one of the best motorcycle roads in northern New Mexico) with a 13T sprocket for the past two years... trust me, you'll never look back at using the 14T sprocket.

I know a lot people are happy with the performance of the 14T sprocket, but they don't live & ride at high altitude... for anyone riding at 6000 ft. and above, I think changing to the 13T front sprocket is mandatory on the CBR250R.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I installed the DRD last night.....
It really takes some time because you need to study the process to understand how to get to the right connection in the bundle.

It's not as easy as some would leave you to believe unless you have experience with these things like removing the fairings and disconnecting the bundles. ( Glad I have the shop manual).

:confused::confused: it seemed fairly simple from what i can attain from the internet. the fairing is just a series of bolts and the bundle is just a sleeve around the connection, and then match the correct connector with the two ends on the drd. pretty plug and play by the looks of it, or is it more complicated?.. isn't there a video online showing how to install it? or am i mistaken?

You'll notice a big difference in how much better this bike performs at high altitude with the 13T sprocket.

I'm just up the road from you (in Eldorado, just outside of Santa Fe). Riding mountain roads like the ones going up to the S.F. Ski Basin, the Sandia ski area, and up in the Jemez Mountains (IMO, one of the best motorcycle roads in northern New Mexico) with a 13T sprocket for the past two years... trust me, you'll never look back at using the 14T sprocket.

I know a lot people are happy with the performance of the 14T sprocket, but they don't live & ride at high altitude... for anyone riding at 6000 ft. and above, I think changing to the 13T front sprocket is mandatory on the CBR250R.
yes, i have yet to get up to jemez with my bike but i used to take my subaru back there all the time :) definitely a beautiful area.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you are doing all this for the first time it just takes longer than half an hour. More like a couple of hours to figure it out and do it right. I just don't go yanking stuff off my bike without reading the manual and knowing what I am doing, like with the fairing clips since all the clips on bike are not the same. Its not that difficult to do but there is some trial and error involved in locating the right connection within the bundle because its a very tight space and the right one is not easy to find at least on my bike. Read some of the comments on the forum about this process. That helped me or I might still be looking for it.

I could do it now within an hour because I know what to look for and where everything is located.

You have to input the right error percentage and know what that it is by calculating it which is easy if you are using a GPS odometer app on your phone and measure the correction error before you install. But I would not just plug in the sprocket sizes and tire sizes, which is an option in the 12 o'clock calculator and use those values.

I did 154 miles today and my odometer had a 1% variation from the GPS, so the DDR correction is working.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
well i assumed it was going to take longer than half an hour. hmm. correct me if im wrong, but from the looks of it, this is the process right? id like input from someone ike you who has done this process :)

1. Remove the three hexbolts on the fairing, the visible one, the one hiding near the bottom, and the one up front under the turn signal (kind of)

2. Gently tug on the fairing, and it will come off after all the hex bolts are removed (am i missing any clips?)

3. remove the turn signal

4. remove the front seat to expose the little black fairings bolts, remove those bolts (again, missing anything?), remove small black fairing

5. locate the bundle of connections, which apparently looks like an upsidedown wine glass sans the bottom.

6. unclip the front three connectors, which will give you better clearance to the speedo connector.

7. study how the drd connects in order to properly disconnect the stock speedo without damaging it.

8. plug in drd, one end in the stock female connector, one end in the male connector

9. program via gps, secure drd

10. replace fairings

does thta sound alright? this is just what i can attain via the internet and others previous experience. does this sound comprehensive enough? (this question is open to anyone whose done this process)

·
Registered
229 Posts
well i assumed it was going to take longer than half an hour. hmm. correct me if im wrong, but from the looks of it, this is the process right? id like input from someone ike you who has done this process :)

1. Remove the three hexbolts on the fairing, the visible one, the one hiding near the bottom, and the one up front under the turn signal (kind of)

2. Gently tug on the fairing, and it will come off after all the hex bolts are removed (am i missing any clips?)

3. remove the turn signal

4. remove the front seat to expose the little black fairings bolts, remove those bolts (again, missing anything?), remove small black fairing

5. locate the bundle of connections, which apparently looks like an upsidedown wine glass sans the bottom.

6. unclip the front three connectors, which will give you better clearance to the speedo connector.

7. study how the drd connects in order to properly disconnect the stock speedo without damaging it.

8. plug in drd, one end in the stock female connector, one end in the male connector

9. program via gps, secure drd

10. replace fairings

does thta sound alright? this is just what i can attain via the internet and others previous experience. does this sound comprehensive enough? (this question is open to anyone whose done this process)

I did not disconnect all the other connectors but fished the correct one out although I could see how this would make it easier to find. I also did not take out the middle fairing but took out the hex bolt and snuck the left main fairing out. Otherwise you got the install. Assume you are visiting their website to calculate your error and input values. The 13t sprocket is in your situation a great mod and this speedo corrector is also worth the effort.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
awesome :) i just ordered the drd today. both should get here soon :) just gotta get some anti-seize grease and a torque wrench and everything will be great

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
oh ok cool. i was not quite sure. thanks for clearing that up :) do you know off the top of your head what size the rear axle nut size is?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
well wow :D installed the 13t just now. did it by myself so it took about 45min, but wow what an amazing difference this thing makes. i only have just went around my block but wow what a big difference in 2nd and third. after my calculations my speedo was showing an indicated 29mph at a gps 26mph, which equates to a roughly 10% error, which will be corrected by the speedoDRD that i will be installing tomorrow :) big thanks to everyone who helped me, and a special big thanks to Aufitt for his killer tutorial thread.

Reactions: Aufitt

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
big thanks to everyone who helped me, and a special big thanks to Aufitt for his killer tutorial thread.
Well done! Then once you get used to it, you will be looking at the throttle mod too. :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wait until you get on the road. More gain to me in the higher gears like 5th and 6th. After 15,000 miles starting to feel like some of the juice has been flogged out of my bike. I also read the thread about the guy who bought the 600rr. So, have to agree with his judgement. Those bikes are really designed for the track. You can rarely use that power around town. The CBR250 is great for 95% of my riding, but I would like to have a good SV650 in the garage for adventure touring.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wait until you get on the road. More gain to me in the higher gears like 5th and 6th. After 15,000 miles starting to feel like some of the juice has been flogged out of my bike. I also read the thread about the guy who bought the 600rr. So, have to agree with his judgement. Those bikes are really designed for the track. You can rarely use that power around town. The CBR250 is great for 95% of my riding, but I would like to have a good SV650 in the garage for adventure touring.
i use my bike for in town riding. max 40 miles a day :) and thats a busy commuting into the big town day. i recently got a chance to go on the highway, and was impressed with how much i was able to now overtake in 6th :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts