Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pix of my current project, a '64 Honda CA77 Dream 305 -

I've owned it for over 20 years. That's easy to remember, because I started taking it apart when my oldest boy was born. He's now 20...

I've been digging through boxes of parts I haven't seen in 20 years, and finding a few surprises. Just found that I have a set of the correct gold wing tank badges I didn't know I had. Seem to have most of what i need to get it back together, but there are a few areas that need some minor paint work first (that's why i took it apart in the first place).

CA77s aren't super-rare or anything, but this one is special because of how original it is - and will be when completed. I would say it's going to be about 95% original when done, with the exception of a few repainted areas and maybe the seat cover. Even the tires are original! Hard to believe they are not all cracked by now, but they are pretty good. Not planning any road trips or anything, but all the replacements are either blackwall or wide-whitewalls that don't look right.

I've got about 3/4 of it cleaned and detailed, and plan to fire it up after doing the paintwork. Luckily, I have a set of the correct original Honda mufflers that would probably be difficult to get now. Need to order a few things, but it looks like what I need is out there.

Here I am on it back-in-the-day -

People always tell me I looked just like Elvis...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looks like it'll be great when it's finished. I hope all the oil seals have lasted as well as the tyres.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it'll be great when it's finished. I hope all the oil seals have lasted as well as the tyres.
Thanks.

I hope so too. It's been stored with fresh oil, and kicked over occasionally, so I hope the engine is still in good condition.

Got a few things to do first, then I'll get the exhaust on and give it a go.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
reminds me of my cb72 250, long gone,
terrific motorcycle.. ended up with full
'racing' fairing etc, but had to make way for
cb450 for interstate runs etc..

sure would have liked to have had
them all locked up somewhere...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Oh wow, that's nice.
First bike I ever rode (as a passenger) was an old 1960s Honda Super Hawk.
If I had unlimited funds I'd love to find and old Super Hawk or Honda Scrambler to restore, but man are they ever rare and expensive these days.
Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Tossed the tank and seat on just to see what it should look like. They haven't been on it in 20 years -

Need to get a rebuild kit for the petcock and a new seat cover (has a 1"x 1/2" gash in the top), both of which are available. Found a box of NOS parts I bought years ago, and put on a NOS grip and a few other small items I needed.

Paint touch-ups are next, then I'll start reassembly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your old Dream looks a lot better than my shabby Super Hawk. I hope you enjoy that CA-77 for a long time.
My first Honda was a 1963 C-77 (like yours but with flat bars of painted sheet metal, and turn signals!).
I won't show you a picture of me on it, because I looked more like Maynard Krebs than Elvis.

Keith (the one in Florida, not the one in Merrie Olde England)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your old Dream looks a lot better than my shabby Super Hawk. I hope you enjoy that CA-77 for a long time.
My first Honda was a 1963 C-77 (like yours but with flat bars of painted sheet metal, and turn signals!).
I won't show you a picture of me on it, because I looked more like Maynard Krebs than Elvis.

Keith (the one in Florida, not the one in Merrie Olde England)
Thanks Keith.

When I bought this it came with 2 other bikes - a Superhawk and a Scrambler. Both were really rough, and I sold them - which pretty much covered the cost of the Dream.

I really like the more unusual Dream models like your C-77. They are really rare, and I don't think I've actually seen one in-person. They made a number of different Dream models, some with high pipes and a dry sump engine.

Come on - post a photo of you on it back in the day!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

Got some time to do a little work on it, so I thought I'd get the fender repaired and painted. I wouldn't have done anything with it, except it had some scuffs and a few small spots that were starting to rust. I'm not "restoring" the bike to perfect, just doing spots here and there that need attention. My intention is to keep it as original as possible and not worry about it being "perfect".

After the paint is good and dry I'll do a little polishing - but not too much! The texture (orange peel) of the paint is about right, but the gloss needs to come up a touch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hard to believe those tires are originals. They look like they're brand new!

Also, I seriously thought it was Elvis on a similar bike until I read your post!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hard to believe those tires are originals. They look like they're brand new!

Also, I seriously thought it was Elvis on a similar bike until I read your post!
Unfortunately the age of the tires prevent me from actually riding it, so I've sprayed them with a chemical protectant that moisturizes the rubber and gives them a "wet" look while hopefully keeping them from cracking. You'd never do that if you were going to ride it.

Elvis lives!

EDIT: Here's a better pic -

Dam! I really do look like Elvis!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately the age of the tires prevent me from actually riding it, so I've sprayed them with a chemical protectant that moisturizes the rubber and gives them a "wet" look while hopefully keeping them from cracking. You'd never do that if you were going to ride it.

Elvis lives!
Very true. Even if they look fine from the outside, they may have cracked and the protective oil may have evaporated over the years making them unsafe to ride on. Keep up the awesome work on the bike!

Yup! The king lives on!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Worked on removing the dents in the side cover -

Tried to recall my old bodywork training, and work the dents out with a pick hammer and file so I don't need to use any filler. Slow, but eventually got it.

After paint -

Still needs some polishing when it's fully cured, but I'm happy with it. The little circles at the bottom of the cover are factory spot welds, so I didn't want to "fix" them.

Trying hard to keep all my repairs from standing out - so they can't be too good.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It took me 20 years, but i finally got the frame painted!

I started sanding on it 20 years ago, then it sat and rusted -

After more sanding to remove the rust and some chemical metal prep -

After primer and a few coats of gloss black -

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Making some progress -

Got the side and center stands, rear brakes linkages, peg mounts, shocks, chainguard, and pipes on. So far I've been lucky, and have had all of the parts I've needed. Bought them way back when I started the project. The biggest thing I located back then were the NOS mufflers. I've seen a few restorations with the wrong mufflers, and they stick out pretty bad.

Probably going to pull the carb and look it over, then fire it up. Changed the oil and cleaned the "filter" (just a centrifugal separator) when I removed the inspection cover on the left engine case to redo some areas that were corroded.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hasn't been run in over 20 years, and it fired-up 1st kick!

My oldest boy (pictured) was home from college, and always likes the challenge of getting an engine running again -

Electric start isn't working, but it looks like it's the relay. Clutch wouldn't disengage, but we eventually got it free. Made some basic carb adjustments and now it's idling smoothly. I was expecting some challenges to get it running, and maybe a shop full of smoke - but no such problems.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts