Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
as 'like' still doesnt work for me, a comment; that shot of the cared for motorcycle [representing freedom] inside the house, together with an image of its owner/carer [representing reality] on the wall above tells its own story.. about the motorcycle and the motorcyclist...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Replacing a few of the shots from this thread that Photofuckit messed up -

Before work began -

After clean-up and some minor painting -

As it sits, under the picture of The King on-board a black CA77 -

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Thanks Vic.

I am going to try to get some decent shots of it outside before winter comes. Just need some time and good weather.

EDIT: If you want to see all of the photos in this thread, you will need to install the "Photobucket Fixer" extension.

This is a link to a "Photobucket Fixer" extension for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...giikdkpmcpkaon

There is also one available for Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...obucket-fixer/

These do work! It makes all the dead photos alive again, so you can view them as usual. It works only for the computer that has it installed, and doesn't fix the thread itself.

Winning!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Beautiful!
There's a guy in my area that rides a restored early 1960s CB77 Super Hawk. I see him putting along every few days. Can't wait to run into him parked at a gas station or convenience store an see if he's interested in a straight-up trade right then and there...lol.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks!

Had a project Superhawk I got from the same guy that sold me this Dream, but it was pretty rough and I sold it (in the 90s) along with a Scrambler roller I got at the same time.

I admire the guys that can start with a rusted lump and make it look new again, I'm just not interested in going that far unless it's something really special (like a CB92 Benly). I've been lucky so far in finding projects that are not that far gone.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I find it really interesting that the "scrambler" concept is becoming so popular again. When Ducati came out with it's "Scrambler" line a couple of years ago, I was like "Huh?". It seemed like a segment of the bike market that nobody was really clamoring for, even though ADV bikes were really starting to take off. Now everyone from Yamaha to BMW is debuting their own version of a scrambler. BMW is even shipping their version with knobby tires, which also had me scratching my head. I mean why would you put knobby tires on a bike that will see so little off-road use in most cases? Scramblers have always seemed to me to be more about looks than off-road capability. It's a little surprising to me how many Gen X'ers are into this kind of bike now and the bike mags are always touting the "lifestyle" that goes along with it. Ducati even has a whole line of retro-looking apparel that "embraces the scrambler lifestyle". Who woulda guessed?
I know when I was a kid the Honda Scrambler was the bike we all lusted after. The high, shielded pipes didn't make a whole lot of sense if you were trying to avoid getting your leg burned off, but it sure looked "cool" and so different than the other bikes that were out there. It's so odd that the whole "scrambler" concept completely fell off the map for so many years, only to come back in recent years with such a vengeance. Obviously I'll never get rich predicting the "next big thing" in motorcycling anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I think you nailed it with the Gen-Xers and the "lifestyle" thing.

I've ridden with knobbies on the street - it sucks. That was on a Honda XL250R that was set-up for the dirt. I didn't have a trailer back then and had to ride it to the trails to chase my friends around on their KDXs.

The '70 CL450 Scrambler that I have is a tank - 400+ pounds for a twin! I guess that's was OK back then, and even now that's not really big (considering BMW boxers and all), but no way would i want to wrestle something like that in a real off-road situation.

Kinda like the big trucks with lift kits and huge tires that never go off-road.

Gotta have "the look"...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Wanted to include my favorite shot from the other day. Last shot of the day, the light is just about gone - which is almost always the best -

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just be really careful with those tires. Personally, for safety, I would put a fresh set of tires on before going on any long or fast rides. 20 year old tires I just wouldn't trust my life to.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Just be really careful with those tires. Personally, for safety, I would put a fresh set of tires on before going on any long or fast rides. 20 year old tires I just wouldn't trust my life to.
Those tires are original - so over 50 years old! I wouldn't ride around the block on them.

Because the bike is 90% original, I don't want to take them off, so the only option would be finding another set of wheels and mount new tires on them.

I'm really picky about tires, and just replaced a set of tires that were 5 years old but still looked fine.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts