Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im a newbie;

1. At a stop, perhaps having downshifted while slowing down into 2nd and with the clutch in put it into 1st (or thought so anyway b/c it certainly isn't in neutral), then try to start back up again and stall because it is in 2nd. This especially makes starting up a hill difficult.

Seems like you have to really stomp down to get it to go into first weather coasting, or stopped; when stopped sometimes you need to roll it a bit forward or back to get it to go into first.

Comments/ suggestions welcome

2. How high do you rev it generally before letting out the clutch in 1st. Not a maximum performace take-off, just a normal startup from a stop?

3. The owners manual has suggestions about when to switch gears, revs on these suggestions seem pretty low. Perhaps the suggestions are meant for the break-in period. How high do you generally rev before switching gears (say after break-in)?

4. Do you always know what gear your in? Or does it become sort of second nature? At this point I find myself counting.

Bike only has like 50 miles on it. I've had it about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When you are coming to a stop and you are not sure if you are on 1st or not, just continue shifting down until it won't shift anymore. That will almost ensure you that you are on 1st and ready to take off.

You really need to get more familiar with the bike and the speed you are going to kinda feel what gear you are in. On mine, when I am not trying to get away from cagers and just taking off normally, I shift up at around 5.5K r.p.m. I just kinda feel it when it reaches that engine speed and then i shift automatically. You have to ride your bike more and be familiar with it. I had my bike for about a week and a half and I think that I'm not riding it enough but I have a little over 200 miles on it.

Practice more and you'll be surprised how fast you will get it.:D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So Im a newbie;

1. At a stop, perhaps having downshifted while slowing down into 2nd and with the clutch in put it into 1st (or thought so anyway b/c it certainly isn't in neutral), then try to start back up again and stall because it is in 2nd. This especially makes starting up a hill difficult.

Seems like you have to really stomp down to get it to go into first weather coasting, or stopped; when stopped sometimes you need to roll it a bit forward or back to get it to go into first.

2. How high do you rev it generally before letting out the clutch in 1st. Not a maximum performace take-off, just a normal startup from a stop?

3. The owners manual has suggestions about when to switch gears, revs on these suggestions seem pretty low. Perhaps the suggestions are meant for the break-in period. How high do you generally rev before switching gears (say after break-in)?

4. Do you always know what gear your in? Or does it become sort of second nature? At this point I find myself counting.

dont focus on anything except your surroundings.
everything will come natural.
get use to the bike & the bike will get use to you.
dont forget to ALWAYS wear your helmet & gloves !
have fun , congrats on the new toy & be VERY careful because the stock tires are made to last but they are not made to grip !

·
Registered
210 Posts
So Im a newbie;

Have your clutch adjusted. No way you should mistake 1st for 2nd, thats why you must shift down for first and UP for 2nd.
This bikes' shift lever is lightest I've ever seen; could literally ride and shift barefooted.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
So Im a newbie;

While moving mine goes into 1st easy ....while stopped ...mine still goes into into 1st easy...just release the clutch out a bit and it will shift down...no embarrassing retarding looking rocking back and forth necessary .

I will admit I just pulled out and thru a 4 way intersection while in 2nd gear by accident this weekend at about 3 miles an hour while the guy on the other side who waved me to go sat there patiently..lol it happens :)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
On my bike I have to release clutch a bit for 1st gear, pops in nicely. When starting feel for friction point which makes for a nice easy take off. Also, if you have forgotten which gear you're in when slowing to a stop, just give an extra kick down; you'll then find out if you're in first or not.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I find myself counting if I'm not going to come to a complete stop and want like 2nd gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts