Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my car recently broke and I ended up with no transportation, public bus is not for me. With my current job I can't afford to buy a car. Not having a car for few month I was able to collect 2000+ dollars.

So I've been looking into buying a motorcycle, since I'm noob and know nothing about motorcycle I did some research, spend endless hours on youtube and internet... researching about motorcycle and options that I have. At first I though I set my mind to buy CBR250R... But then it all changed...

Then I saw the dual sport or dual purpose CRF250l, engine based on CBR250R, after that I found out that Kawasaki came up with fuel injected Ninja(250) and I was like "omg... I don't know what do I really want to buy now"
So here is my options:

1. CBR250R
2. CRF250l
3. 2013 F.I. Ninja

now.... I'm really tired of asking my brother to give me a ride to work everyday, I was think to buy CRF for now but then again f.i. Ninja... really? It's a beast compare to cbr and crf. The problem is nobody knows the release date of ninja in US!

Would you guys(girls) share your opinions with me? Which bike would you buy and why? Would you wait for f.i. ninja?

Sent from my all seeing eyePhone...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EDIT: ill be using 2000 dollars as down payment lol as for safety concern im not one of those guys who is trying to show off, i mainly want to buy motorcycle for transportation/commuting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any of those are fine options. You'll need a reality check if you think you could get any of them for $2000. Even used will be tough to find in that price range for those particular bikes. Old Ninja 250 (meaning non FI) is more likely scenario

Despite this, if this is the first time you'll be operating a bike, you will need a whole lot of practice before even thinking about taking it on the streets... that is... unless you're interested in becoming a statistic.

Good luck

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure that the new Ninja will be fuel injected in the US; most resources I've seen say "Fuel Injection available in some markets". That's been true for a while, and the US is not one of them. I guess we'll find out. As far as price tag goes, $2k will go a long way towards down payment/gear but won't get you a bike outright. Another cost consideration is the fuel economy of the CBR. It's easy to get 70mpg while having fun and 80+ if you are working towards it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would go with the cbr250r, unless you are into dual purpose bikes then maybe you wanna go with the crf250l. I own a '12 cbr250r red/silver its a great all around bike. Just turned 2200miles and I have not had the first problem. Good luck with your quest to find the perfect bike for you!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Realistically you need about a 1300 dollar bike. 1300+tax&tag is gonna put you close to 1400, then 350 on gear will get you up to 1750. Another 20-30 for you license then if you have a good driving record you can pick up insurance for about 75 a year (maybe cheaper depending on year and where you live). So we're already up to 1900. That's about 100-150 bucks of wiggle room for your bike price or gear price. Unless you have a crap driving record or have to take a loan out for the bike and get full coverage.

For 2k with winter coming up, unless you live in a warm climate, a early 90's civic is the best bet IMO. A bike is a leisure item, a car really isn't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Realistically you need about a 1300 dollar bike. 1300+tax&tag is gonna put you close to 1400, then 350 on gear will get you up to 1750. Another 20-30 for you license then if you have a good driving record you can pick up insurance for about 75 a year (maybe cheaper depending on year and where you live). So we're already up to 1900. That's about 100-150 bucks of wiggle room for your bike price or gear price. Unless you have a crap driving record or have to take a loan out for the bike and get full coverage.

For 2k with winter coming up, unless you live in a warm climate, a early 90's civic is the best bet IMO. A bike is a leisure item, a car really isn't.
ummm where to begin? iwas thining to buy a scooter but then im 22years old and i think ill look silly on the scooter haha

4 years of driving, zero tickets.. i think it is considered as a good driving record :)

i live in sacramento CA, its always hot here

THANKS for the estimate :p

i went to the dealer and he said the price with the papers is 5k, then he told me if ill give 1000 dollars down payment they can tow the bike to my place today!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go with the cbr250r, unless you are into dual purpose bikes then maybe you wanna go with the crf250l. I own a '12 cbr250r red/silver its a great all around bike. Just turned 2200miles and I have not had the first problem. Good luck with your quest to find the perfect bike for you!
thanks for the advice, i was thinking CBR250R is great for mileage and all the that, but when it comes to the fun?(not as in racing and killing myself) i could ride CBR only in the city, my friends go to the sand dunes once in a while thats where CRF can come in handy!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Do you have your motorbike endorsement?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i went to the dealer and he said the price with the papers is 5k, then he told me if ill give 1000 dollars down payment they can tow the bike to my place today!
I hope that was 5k for the ABS model. If it isn't, shop around. You shouldn't have to pay that much for one of these. My bike, before tax, was about 4.3k. I thought that even that was a bit high ($200 over msrp). Don't let them strong arm you and tell you that they can't drop the price... they can always drop the price. msrp factors in shipping, assembly costs, overhead, and still leaves the dealer with some profit. Good luck, and a cbr250 would be an excellent choice.

Reactions: Noob Saibot

·
Registered
242 Posts
iwas thining to buy a scooter but then im 22years old and i think ill look silly on the scooter haha
Scooters are a great way to start riding on two wheels. I've owned two of them, 600cc and 250cc, and still have one. After looking at the CRF230L for a couple of years but never buying, the new CRF250L is tempting as well. That would be on the short list for my next ride. Enjoy your search; there are a lot of interesting choices out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scooters are a great way to start riding on two wheels. I've owned two of them, 600cc and 250cc, and still have one. After looking at the CRF230L for a couple of years but never buying, the new CRF250L is tempting as well. That would be on the short list for my next ride. Enjoy your search; there are a lot of interesting choices out there.
thanks, i had my eye on PCX150 ;)

·
1,305 Posts
I can't comment on the CRF,

you know what you are gonna get with the CBr250 and the ninjette... both are quality bikes and would serve you well

have you been to sit on both bikes yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't comment on the CRF,

you know what you are gonna get with the CBr250 and the ninjette... both are quality bikes and would serve you well

have you been to sit on both bikes yet?
if had choice between CBR and Ninja id definitely choose CBR, ive heard bad things about carb engines like you have to clean them and they are not that that good at cold weather...

and i had a chance to sit on all of the bikes i mentioned in my first post :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
If this is going to be your MAIN mode of transportation, Im not sure I would opt for the CRF to go play in the dunes. Im not sure a bike is the right choice for you in your circumstances. I agree with the reply that a good used car for a main means of transport may be the better option. Get the bike you want at a later date when you are more settled, and then you wont have to sacrifice to get something quick.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If this is going to be your MAIN mode of transportation, Im not sure I would opt for the CRF to go play in the dunes. Im not sure a bike is the right choice for you in your circumstances. I agree with the reply that a good used car for a main means of transport may be the better option. Get the bike you want at a later date when you are more settled, and then you wont have to sacrifice to get something quick.

ditto this...

·
Registered
164 Posts
if this is going to be your main transportation, you should not consider a motorcycle... You will be pretty miserable if you have not commuted in the winter time. Plus you are not going to afford anything nice if you only have $2000. your best bid is to go lease subcompact car and buy a POS motorcycle to learn on. You can find a beat up Ninja 250 from the 80s or 90s for cheap

·
Registered
242 Posts
if had choice between CBR and Ninja id definitely choose CBR, ive heard bad things about carb engines like you have to clean them and they are not that that good at cold weather...

and i had a chance to sit on all of the bikes i mentioned in my first post :D
Fuel injection vs. carburetors is one of those issues that could cause quite a stir on some forums. I generally agree with your observation and made a decision that any new street bike would have fuel injection. My off-road bikes have carbs, but since they are usually in use only on warm days, cold weather starts aren't as much of an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if this is going to be your main transportation, you should not consider a motorcycle... You will be pretty miserable if you have not commuted in the winter time. Plus you are not going to afford anything nice if you only have $2000. your best bid is to go lease subcompact car and buy a POS motorcycle to learn on. You can find a beat up Ninja 250 from the 80s or 90s for cheap
well i need some sort of transportation now, i dont wanna go for an old car because then ill be paying like 450+ just for liability insurance plus if something breaks i have to tow it to the shop, i had that experience with my old 97' volvo 850 :( and weather is not really a concern, in Sacramento we dont get heavy rain or snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the FOG is disappearing and i see something... i see a motorcycle... hold up... ITS A HONDA CBR250R!

Thank you guys for all of your advices, i think ive finally made up my mind... ill go for the CBR :p

1 - 20 of 37 Posts