Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first bike, so maybe this is normal... But why is there a metal bar going directly across the hole where the gas is supposed to go?

When i take the gas cap off and look into the tank there is a straight bar going across the hole where the fuel pump is supposed to go in.

Because i cant even get the pump in a little, when fueling i have to use my free hand to push the rubber upwards on the pump to engage the gas to start flowing, and i have to keep stopping and starting fueling because the bar in the tank is causing splash back.

Why is this there?

·
Registered
282 Posts
it's there to stop you stabbing the fuel pump with the fill nozzle.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think it's more of an issue in California with those rubber accordians on the nozzle. I have the bar but it has no effect on filling my tank. There is a recent thread on here discussing this.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Some pumps have either off or full blast.

But most let you pump it slowly. If you do it slowly it won't splash everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I wonder if the peeps running the gas stations out in Cali, with the vapor reclamation nozzles, would mind if a guy just took out his pocket knife cut that rubber boot right off of that nozzle. Seems like you'd be doing them a favor, since they are going to get rid of them anyway. Just a thought, although one that could have you running afoul of the law. Never mind...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I wonder if the peeps running the gas stations out in Cali, with the vapor reclamation nozzles, would mind if a guy just took out his pocket knife cut that rubber boot right off of that nozzle. Seems like you'd be doing them a favor, since they are going to get rid of them anyway. Just a thought, although one that could have you running afoul of the law. Never mind...
Some of those old school vapor recovery nozzles have a switch inside that prevents the pump from working if the sleeve isn't compressed.. so if you're going to slice them off, bring some electrical tape along too so you can splice the switch wires together. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts