Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first road bike 2011 cbr250 2 weeks ago :) and have since done 900 klms.
I have started to play around with it a little now that it has broken in and booked in for the 1000 klm service tomorrow.

The first thing i did was remove the air filter inspection cover
I took it for a 70klm ride. There was a massive increase in induction noise and sounds much better under acceleration.

There was a noticeable difference in performance, the engine seemed to breath alot better and had more top end power. It didnt seem to be working as hard at 100klmh.

I think this added with an exhaust and remap would give a much better increase.

I am planning on designing and building my own exhaust in the future so i will ad to this as i go.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Now, wouldn't that damage the engine to cause all the pollution to enter inside the cylinder? Or did you use a after market intake?

·
Registered
576 Posts
that filter cover lid is for easy access to changing the filter.
most ppl dont know alot of noise comes from the intake
side of the cyilinder.that lid would dampen quiet a bit
of noise.the air intake is mostly rubber in a nonsymetrical
tube that cuts almost all the noise.
i'm going to try with out the cover today to see the difference myself.
easier breathing= better gas mileage i would think.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, wouldn't that damage the engine to cause all the pollution to enter inside the cylinder? Or did you use a after market intake?

Just to clarify I only removed the access cover to the airfilter. The air filter is still in.
You only gain induction noise it still sounds the same at idle or when the throttle is closed but the was a big difference in performance

·
Registered
636 Posts
sounds kinda cool but it looks like you bought an after market pipe and took a hack saw to it..to each thier own though..

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Can we get back to the pros and cons of removing the airfilter cover?

Sounds easy, why do they have one at all if it doesn't protect the air filter?

I'll probably remove it and see how she feels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's there simply so you can access the air filter it reduces 90% of induction noise removing it has had no I'll effects that I can find

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Mine is off now

Can we get back to the pros and cons of removing the airfilter cover?

Sounds easy, why do they have one at all if it doesn't protect the air filter?

I'll probably remove it and see how she feels.
I took the cover off of my air filter yesterday. It is much louder at certain rpms and loads. I like it though. when riding through town, it tells you if you are lugging to low of a gear. Open throttle between 3-5000 is the loudest. Most other conditions, the sound didn't change. Should be an improvement in top end power without hurting fuel economy. May even help that too. The O2 sensor will automatically compensate for the improved flow. It's nice not having jets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did it. Big difference in sound. I can't believe I didn't think of this, considering I had the seat off a few days ago. Can't wait to take it to check up on the performance difference.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts