Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much for this bike holding it's value! As I tried to explain to a few people here, No bikes hold their value.. especially in a poor economy.

wOrM told me in a different thread that I will not be able to find a CBR next spring for less than $3500. He based this price on the fact that some dealer somewhere apparently paid $3500 for a used CBR on trade. I attempted to explain to wOrm that a trade in value has nothing to do with a private sale value.. that a trade in price is often inflated and added into the cost of the new vehicle you are trading for.... He did'nt get it.. but enough of that.

Based on this latest auction I have revised my earlier estimate. I had originally hoped to purchase a used CBR250r for about $2500 next spring. wOrm said I was wrong and nuts and did'nt know what I was talking about even though I never declared a fact which could be disputed.. I simply stated that I expected to spend around $2500 on a CBR next spring... but again wOrm couldn't seem to grasp the notion, He kept telling me I was "wrong". At any rate. I now expect to pay closer to $2000 for a used CBR250r next spring.

Here is the link $2800.
Honda : CBR250 - eBay (item 200628710506 end time Jul-16-11 16:32:35 PDT)

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On such a small budget
Yes, it makes more sense to budget small.. you have more money that way!:D and more bikes! and less bills and no debt and.. well you get the picture!;)
hopefully you'll be able to find an emergency sale, where the bike has to be sold in a few days, like that one. :rolleyes:
Right, it's the weather, the location, the fact that he was moving.. the alignment of the planets and on and on and on!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Yes, it makes more sense to budget small.. you have more money that way!:D and more bikes! and less bills and no debt and.. well you get the picture!;)
Personally I'd rather have what I want once I can afford it, and buy cash.

Life's good like that.

If you can't afford it just wait, no shame in it. Hopefully an emergency sale will pop up once you can afford it and you'll be able to buy the bike you want, hopefully in a good condition.

Right, it's the weather, the location, the fact that he was moving.. and on and on and on!:rolleyes:
I thought it was the way it had to be sold and picked up by Wednesday tbh.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i would have picked that up if i had come across it.would have had twins:D
i have family thirty minutes from there.
being the location(high dollar area)no wonder it was bought
cash and not a big deal to loose a couple dollars.(title in hand)
that sale is not the litmus for this market i'm sure of that.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Personally I'd rather have what I want once I can afford it, and buy cash.
.. You're doing it all wrong. If you are going to buy new, which is a waste of money IMO, than finance it. If you spend $5000 cash on a new bike you are spending it on a depreciating asset ( a poor investment) however, if you finance your new bike and take the $5000 cash and spend it on an appreciating asset (a smart investment) , You will be better off.. You'll still have the new bike but you'll also have your $5000 which is making you money. That's why wealthy people, who have the ability to pay cash for a home carry a mortgage instead. Don't tie up your money on a depreciating asset. Then again, in your situation, you might be a poor credit risk so paying cash might be your only option!

Life's good like that.
Good is not necessarily smart!

If you can't afford it just wait, no shame in it. Hopefully an emergency sale will pop up once you can afford it and you'll be able to buy the bike you want, hopefully in a good condition.
It's not an issue of limited finances. I'm in a great financial position- mostly because I don't buy new things that lose 40% of their value in 12 months! I invest in things that make 40% in 12 months.:)

I thought it was the way it had to be sold and picked up by Wednesday tbh.
That gives the buyer 4-5 days after the auction to pick it up.. That's plenty of time. Who needs more time than that? At least your ability or lack thereof, to reason is consistent.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that sale is not the litmus for this market i'm sure of that.
You're right the litmus is the fact that bike sales across the boards are horrible. We'll see other CBR250's selling for more and less. I'll get one of them that sells for less..:D wait and see wOrM.;)

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
^^ Guess I'm one of the lucky ones who can afford pretty much everything I want. Being based in Thailand = 2 full-time pay cheques for 1 job, which is good.

Personally I'd rather life be good (riding around on the bike you want, cash bought.) Than life be smart - going without a bike you want because you want to invest the massive $1000 depreciation you're hoping for in something that earns a few more $ per year. And waiting/hoping for an emergency sale.

But hey, each to their own. I'm gonna be happy riding around on my new bike, and you're gonna be happy hanging around waiting for an emergency sale on a hopefully good bike. Everyone's happy. Hooray. :)

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ Guess I'm one of the lucky ones who can afford pretty much everything I want. Being based in Thailand = 2 full-time pay cheques for 1 job, which is good.

going without a bike you want because you want to invest the massive $1000 depreciation you're hoping for in something that earns a few more $ per year. And waiting/hoping for an emergency sale.
"The music is nothing if the audience is deaf."

Personally I'd rather life be good (riding around on the bike you want, cash bought.) Than life be smart -
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something"

·
Registered
681 Posts
With all due respect, morphman, I didn't say anything like what you claimed. What I said was that it's not a waste of money to buy a new bike and that it does indeed hold it's value. I proved that with the link to a post where a member here traded in his with 1000 miles on it for $500 less than he paid for it.

The price on eBay is minus tax, license and shipping. Add those and it's easily going to be $3500 or more. There are dealerships selling them brand new for $3699 so that's hardly a huge disparity between new and used prices.

FYI, I sold cars for years so I'm very well versed in the ins and outs of the new and used vehicle market. It's how I made my living before I got into computers.

Finding one bike in the entire United States for less than $3000 doesn't exactly prove that the bike is dropping in value. Case and point, it's the only used one on eBay and it sold instantly. The guy could have easily sold it for more. Motivated sellers do foolish things all the time. Just look at how many bids he had in such a short time. It's all about supply and demand. If everyone wants one, getting top dollar isn't exactly difficult. You just have to understand what the demand for your product is likely to be.

I respect that fact that you want to get the most bang for your buck. There's nothing wrong with that. For me, getting exactly what I wanted was more important than saving a few hundred dollars. I sometimes make $500 a day (on good days). It's not like small amounts of money like are going to make or break me. I spend $2500 for a week of vacation. How is having the exact bike I want, months (or more) before I could find one on the used market, not worth only $500 or even $1000?

I'm honestly not trying to start anything with you again. I said some things in that other thread that I shouldn't have. If I offended you, I sincerely apologize. I'm just trying to help you understand that people here buying new bikes doesn't make them dumb. Everyone here has their own set of priorities and motivations.

Please try to respect others here the way you expect to be respected. That's all I ask.

·
Registered
221 Posts
.. You're doing it all wrong. If you are going to buy new, which is a waste of money IMO, than finance it. If you spend $5000 cash on a new bike you are spending it on a depreciating asset ( a poor investment) however, if you finance your new bike and take the $5000 cash and spend it on an appreciating asset (a smart investment) , You will be better off.. You'll still have the new bike but you'll also have your $5000 which is making you money. That's why wealthy people, who have the ability to pay cash for a home carry a mortgage instead. Don't tie up your money on a depreciating asset. Then again, in your situation, you might be a poor credit risk so paying cash might be your only option!
And this is the exact cause of our housing market bubble and crash. Look where we are now. In India people buy houses outright, lets just say housing prices NEVER depreciate, their is no way it can, a bubble cant even exist without loans.

$5k investment will get you a few couple hundred bucks not counting for inflation, really not worth the trouble IMHO.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And this is the exact cause of our housing market bubble and crash.
:confused: Say what? The housing bubble was created due to artificiality low interest rates and regulations and laws that forced banks to loan money to unqualified people. It was a manufactured bubble designed to transfer wealth from the public to the bankers.

a bubble cant even exist without loans.
A bubble can exist in any asset class completely independent of debt/loans.

$5k investment will get you a few couple hundred bucks not counting for inflation, really not worth the trouble IMHO.
Thank god know one consults you for investment advice. Official inflation is somewhere around 4%. True inflation is somewhere around 10%. My investments have paid me an average of over 30% annually over the past 6 years. In fact had you invested $5000 in a certian commodity last year you would have doubled your money in a 3-4 month period.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With all due respect, morphman, I didn't say anything like what you claimed.
You said exactly what I claimed.. you just don't realize it!

What I said was that it's not a waste of money to buy a new bike and that it does indeed hold it's value.
This statement is not only incorrect, it's contradicts itself. If new bikes held their value, you would have hedge fund mangers buying motorcycles for their clients.

I proved that with the link to a post where a member here traded in his with 1000 miles on it for $500 less than he paid for it.
You proved it all right. The problem is, as I attempted to explain, ad nauseum, that a trade in value has absolutely nothing to do with selling a used bike. You are TRADING not SELLING!

The price on eBay is minus tax, license and shipping. Add those and it's easily going to be $3500 or more.
Not even close. You are being disingenuous, once again.. Tax and license are state fees. distinct and separate from the price of the bike..and in this case would add up to about $190 for this transaction. As far as shipping. Why would you have us believe that the buyer is out of state and would have to pay to ship the bike? Sneaky little guy!:p

There are dealerships selling them brand new for $3699 so that's hardly a huge disparity between new and used prices.
Incredible! You add the tax, license and state fees and a bogus shipping cost to the used bike to inflate the price but do not include those charges ( plus addition DOC and freight fees from a dealer) in the price of the new bike. You are one dishonest little man.

FYI, I sold cars for years so I'm very well versed in the ins and outs of the new and used vehicle market. It's how I made my living before I got into computers.
This explains a lot!

Finding one bike in the entire United States for less than $3000 doesn't exactly prove that the bike is dropping in value.
You are correct. The fact that this example sold for $2800 does not prove it lost value.... What proves it lost value is the the entire history of manufacturing and retail, ie,commerce!:rolleyes:

Case and point, it's the only used one on eBay and it sold instantly. The guy could have easily sold it for more. Motivated sellers do foolish things all the time. Just look at how many bids he had in such a short time. It's all about supply and demand. If everyone wants one, getting top dollar isn't exactly difficult. You just have to understand what the demand for your product is likely to be.
There is not a single word, sentence or statement within this paragraph that makes sense.

I respect that fact that you want to get the most bang for your buck. There's nothing wrong with that.
Hey thanks!:)

For me, getting exactly what I wanted was more important than saving a few hundred dollars. I sometimes make $500 a day (on good days). It's not like small amounts of money like are going to make or break me. I spend $2500 for a week of vacation. How is having the exact bike I want, months (or more) before I could find one on the used market, not worth only $500 or even $1000?
Good for you!:D

I'm honestly not trying to start anything with you again. I said some things in that other thread that I shouldn't have. If I offended you, I sincerely apologize.
You did'nt offend me.. not in the slightest
I'm just trying to help you understand that people here buying new bikes doesn't make them dumb. Everyone here has their own set of priorities and motivations.
I certainly never said or suggested that the act of buying a new bike makes a person dumb. A person is dumb long before he buys a new bike!:D

Please try to respect others here the way you expect to be respected. That's all I ask.
Impossible! Respect is not something that is dished out in equal proportion. Some of us deserve much more respect than others!;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Morphman lives in his own little world where his ego is king. I'm tired of arguing this because no matter how hard I try with legitimate proven facts he'll make up random "facts" to try to tell me I'm wrong.

This auction you linked is so obvious. The guy is in a very bad situation and is just taking whatever he can get right away. It's like going to a Pawn shop, you know you're not going to get what it's worth but you're there because you have no choice. This is a very rare occurrence and 1 link to a nearly once in a lifetime find proves absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
His drum sounds like it has a hole in it.. he's banged it so much...
let him go ahead and buy a piece of crap thats been thrashed and trashed and he can think he's got the bargain of the century... everyone else can enjoy their ownership of a new motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts