Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

2011 CBR250R ABS for $1700: A Great Deal, or Too Good to Be True?

6K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  dgray5150 
#1 ·
Hi all, new user here. I just got my motorcycle license and am ready to buy a bike, so along with visiting dealerships, I've been perusing Craigslist (with caution, because I've learned the hard way it's not particularly trustworthy).

I found a black 2011 CBR250 with ABS and 1000 miles for $1700. The seller claims no damage or it having ever been laid down, and provided ~20 pictures to prove it. Is it worth checking out, since the seller might simply not know the value of his bike, or should I chalk it up to a scam and move on? After all, it's about half the KBB value.

If it's simply a great price, I'll go for it for sure.

#9 ·
I agree, run the VIN, ask to see title and check for liens.... a lien would be something like if the bike was used as collateral for another loan... the owner would not have the title free and clear until that loan was paid in full.... Good luck keep us up on the latest.

#11 ·
Wow, it really sounds like a great deal, I just can't figure out WHY they are selling soooo cheap.... Go take a look in person if possible like someone already suggested take a experienced rider with you. You should be able to tell a lot not only by seeing the bike in person but also by meeting the seller in person.

#12 ·
...and it's abs too. Along with what others have said, I'd be asking for the reason of sale. 1700 is below asking price

#14 ·
I'm ruling out stolen bike since the VIN comes up clean. My dad is coming with me to see it since he not only knows about bikes but is definitely in a position to kick the ass of a potential kidnapper/Somali pirate.

I'll definitely be keeping you all posted on how this goes, and watching the thread for more input/opinions/suggestions.

#18 ·
Sounds fishy..doesn't hurt to go look though. Make sure if it's legit and you decide you want it, you get a signed contract with him stating there is nothing wrong with the bike. If he won't sign a written agreement..there is your deal-breaker.

Do you have the link for the sale?

#22 ·
Also...the Autoexpresssouth website has no motorcycles listed.

They guy on the ebay page claiming to be Tom looks 'English' (Not that that's 100% evidence, but along with other red flags, I think it may stand out)

But, as others have said, if you can go to look at the bike in person and he can give you evidence that the bike is in his sole name to sell it to you, then go for it.

Just make sure you have the bike before you hand over the cash.

Good luck

#23 ·
Common sense here - don't hand over a penny (no deposit, nothing) until you've got keys in hand and are loading the bike onto a trailer/truck etc.

Not sure how this scam works but it s more than fishy with someone else's photos, WAY too low price, and different listings.

I'd go out of curiosity, but I'd leave my cash at home and bring a friend.

Let us know how this plays out.

#24 ·
I would definitely leave the cash at home and ask him to meet you in a neutral site with the bike, i.e. mall parking lot. There have been some craiglist robberies in my area where the buyer goes to see the bike at a personal residence. When the buyer gets there, he sees the bike up at the top of the driveway and everything seems fine. Then the buyer gets robbed of the cash. Turns out the house was a foreclosure and was abandoned. be careful!

#36 ·
Made offer, bringing neighbor - who is a cop with me.

This is the reply from seller:

Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 3:04 PM
Subject: RE: 2011 HONDA CBR250R - $1700

Hi,
The bike is in perfect condition, no electric problems, no accidents/liens/loans. No scratches, never been repainted. I have all the bike manuals, title,documents. I'm selling this bike because my child of only 25 died 4 months ago in a car accident, a drunk driver hit him and his fiancee. He was with his fiance's car coming to our home at his little brother birthday of 14 years old. The bike belonged to my son and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it. The final price is $1.700. Me and my wife travel a lot with our business and we want to make this deal through eBay's Buyer Protection Program. Please tell me if you are interested.
We hope to hear soon from you.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this e-Mail if you don't have the amount available, or if you don't intend to be serious.
P.S. For more pictures please click the link : http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums/t486/2011HondaCBR/?albumview=slideshow

Thank you for your interest!
Jordan and Nina Elwood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.