Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot of references to this bike being delivered with either bias-ply or radial tires. I assume the rims are the same, though this may not be the case. My bike's owner's manual says to use bias-ply tires. The bike was delivered with bias-ply IRC RX-01 tires.

Does anyone know if the rims are good to go for either? Also, was anyone's CBR250R supplied with radials?

I will probably just stay with bias-ply tires, but it would be good to get the whole picture.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which Bridgestones?

Model?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure the rims are good for bias and radial as long as they're both "TUBELESS" tires.

The only real difference between them is belt design. Radials are belted from the bead at a 90 degree angle and bias are angled at a 30-40 degree angle.

Bias have stronger sidewalls and are more puncture resistant but radials last much longer, are more stable at high speeds and have less rolling resistance.

I have so far been unsuccessful at finding radial tires in our size. All I see (here in the States anyway) are Bias Ply.

I don't think we have to worry about the high speeds but I wish I could find radials in our size for the longevity.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An observation...

I have a 2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT with radials, and frankly the CBR250R's bias-ply tires seem more stable at high speeds. Not by a lot, but there's certainly no sense of instability with the Honda.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a 2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT with radials, and frankly the CBR250R's bias-ply tires seem more stable at high speeds. Not by a lot, but there's certainly no sense of instability with the Honda.
Sorry, when I said high speeds I meant triple digits.
A Bias is every bit as good as a radial in regards to stability at the speeds the 250R generates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

That was my impression too. I don't race the bike, so 75 mph is about the top speed I see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tires are an extension of your suspension system. As per Motorcycle-USA.com:

"Bias belted and radial tires have different construction types and therefore have different abilities to carry side and peripheral forces as well as having varied damping characteristics. The introduction of radial tires required changes to certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The development of the radial tire led to frame modifications, new steering geometries and suspensions. That's why it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. Do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it has the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Best bet is to use the type designated by Honda (bias ply). I'm personally a fan of Pirelli. They do have tires that will fit (Sport Demon). General idea is don't plan on or even bother with (if you do manage to find) Z rated tires. With the amount of money you would spend to get a CBR250R to do 186+ mph you might as well buy a Y2K bike. ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts