Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been having this issue since I changed the battery.

When i first turn up the engine, the dash turns on and there’s no issue. However once i put it on gear and start accelerating, the dash just cuts off as if there is no power although the engine runs just fine.

Only when i stop the bike, but the bike on neutral and release the clutch, the dash display turns back on. But then it shuts down again the next time I accelerate.

I also notice that it would progressively take more speed for the dash to shut down. First it shuts down around 15km/h, then 20, 25, 30 roughly and at some point maybe 10m into riding, the dash does not shut down anymore.

Not sure if this also relates to battery damage, the last new battery i put in got all swollen up and stopped working at around 2 months.
Does anyone know what issue this could be?

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
559 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been having this issue since I changed the battery.

When i first turn up the engine, the dash turns on and there’s no issue. However once i put it on gear and start accelerating, the dash just cuts off as if there is no power although the engine runs just fine.

Only when i stop the bike, but the bike on neutral and release the clutch, the dash display turns back on. But then it shuts down again the next time I accelerate.

I also notice that it would progressively take more speed for the dash to shut down. First it shuts down around 15km/h, then 20, 25, 30 roughly and at some point maybe 10m into riding, the dash does not shut down anymore.

Not sure if this also relates to battery damage, the last new battery i put in got all swollen up and stopped working at around 2 months.
Does anyone know what issue this could be?
Check charging, you probably do not have charging. At idle RPM you need to measure on the battery terminals above 13.2 V DC.
Most often the problem is with the coils, so if there is no charge check the alternating voltage on the coils, there should be 17V AC on each(separately) of the 3 coils - / + 5%.( LINK)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Congratulations on your preparation!
[Off Topic]
My dear cts, I'm glad you read and find interest in my contents.
Thank you very much.
Preparations for what?
Full explanation: I've been a YouTuber since 2011, it's not a profitable business, for me it's a hobby. The idea to buy a CBR250R has been with me for at least ten years, now it worked out for me so I bought a second hand one. It was clear to me that I will continued to combine my two hobbies (photography and editing on YouTube with my "new" motorcycle, the CBR250R). At first I posted my CBR videos on my INNOVA125i YouTube channel, but they explained to me that it was not recommended, and so it turned out that I had opened a separate channel for the CBR. They were right and I'm glad I separated the two channels. When I started looking for contents for the CBR I also came across this excellent forum, and now I combine them all. It's not something that was prepared, it's something that just happened, and is happening now too.
Unlike the common image, most YouTube creators lose money and do not make money. To my CBR new channel has no expected profits. Zero profits. And there may never be any profits, depending on whether my new channel crosses the "barrier" set up by YouTube.
For reference: My old channel has a "profits" something like $ 40 a month. It's not a profit, it's a small gift that YouTube gives for a lot of creators' investment, I'm not complaining, I say thank YouTube! it's a hobby, and for a hobby you pay money and do not make money. So everything's fine.
[Off Topic]

·
Registered
4 Posts
[Off Topic]
Preparations for what?
Ehm... "preparation" in Italian means "expert", "connoisseur", "teacher" ... I also opened a small channel on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt3Hzml9sSHONU3sDt545fA/videos , but there is never time to mount and post all the videos that I have turned in the meantime (7 videos...) ...
I only had the time to create a very complete site on the Honda CBR 250R, but it's in Italian: ITALIA Honda CBR 250R

Your advice is always valuable, consistent, thank you for all the help you give about this forum!
Unfortunately the (english) language is a bit an obstacle for me, only that ... I like this forum!
I read (and appreciate) you always.

Ciao.
[/Off Topic]

·
Registered
559 Posts
[Off Topic]

Ehm... "preparation" in Italian means "expert", "connoisseur", "teacher" ... I also opened a small channel on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt3Hzml9sSHONU3sDt545fA/videos , but there is never time to mount and post all the videos that I have turned in the meantime (7 videos...) ...
I only had the time to create a very complete site on the Honda CBR 250R, but it's in Italian: ITALIA Honda CBR 250R

Your advice is always valuable, consistent, thank you for all the help you give about this forum!
Unfortunately the (english) language is a bit an obstacle for me, only that ... I like this forum!
I read (and appreciate) you always.

Ciao.
[/Off Topic]
[/Off Topic]
Ciao THANKS!!!
At the beginning of my journey I was faced with a similar dilemma. I had a motorcycle site written entirely in Hebrew. Israel is a small country, about 9 million residents, and the number of riders in it is small accordingly, and out of the small number of riders there are perhaps a few who would go in to read about motorcycle content I would upload on my site. At the same time I opened the video channel on YouTube. As far as I remember I closed the site in Hebrew after maybe three years? And on YouTube I am active till this days. I'm not good in English language either, but I use a Google translator, and check it with the knowledge I have in English. If Google offers me an English word that I do not know I check. The translation process is slow and clumsy, but in this way I built my contents, and I continue to build an audience for my contents from all over the world. Every artist wants an audience for his work. You have on your site the Italian audience, you are almost 60 million residents in Italy, and it is one of the most famous that you have a love for motor skills, so I can guess that your content in Italian has much more demand than content that I wrote at my old site in Hebrew, and because your site is better and more invested. It's never too late to go out into the wide world, if you decide to make that move you will have to choose an international language, I chose English.

OK preparazione = "expert", "connoisseur", "teacher"

Now, I was pleased with the words "expert", "connoisseur", "teacher" 😊, just as it was pleasant for me to share what I shared according to my first understanding "preparation".
[Off Topic]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check charging, you probably do not have charging. At idle RPM you need to measure on the battery terminals above 13.2 V DC.
Most often the problem is with the coils, so if there is no charge check the alternating voltage on the coils, there should be 17V AC on each(separately) of the 3 coils - / + 5%.( LINK)
thank you so much for your response
I just measured and it was 17V DC on idle. perhaps the battery is being overcharged?

·
Registered
559 Posts
thank you so much for your response
I just measured and it was 17V DC on idle. perhaps the battery is being overcharged?
17V DC on idle???
If it's a DC voltage that you measure on the battery terminals it's obviously too much (Probably need to replace the regulator / rectifier), usually measured no more than 14.2VDC at 5000RPM, and according to to Hondas' service book it should not be more than 15.5VDC at 5000RPM.
At idle(1400RPM) ~13.2VDC is OK.

The 17 volts on idle are measured on the phases of the stator, on the coils.
It's NOT DC there you are measuring AC.

Please & Sorry, if this subject, if this job, is beyond your ability, do not hesitate to contact a qualified mechanic in your area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts