Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals I’m new to this site and a first time bike owner .
I bought my bike with 13198km
Was gonna change the oil and filter on it and use synthetic also was gonna change my filter to.a k&n.
How long can i go between intervals ?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Hi Knubs8 and welcome to the forum.

The owner's manual says you should change the oil every 12000km but some members here do it more often.
You can download the manual here -> Manual

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hi guys and gals I’m new to this site and a first time bike owner .
I bought my bike with 13198km
Was gonna change the oil and filter on it and use synthetic also was gonna change my filter to.a k&n.
How long can i go between intervals ?
Depends.

Do you do a lot of short trips or long highways rides?

Think of oil change intervals in terms of additive depletion. The harder you work the additives the less time between changes. Starting in cold temps and running for a short time is hard on additives, and adds a lot of contaminants to the oil. Hot starts and long rides are easy on additives.

The CBR doesn't carry a lot of oil, which increases the demands.

I personally wouldn't go anywhere near the recommended 8000mi/12000km interval unless I was commuting a long ways regularly. Probably half that in mixed riding, especially in cooler temps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think time between intervals needs to be considered too. If you are a casual rider but live where temps range between -50 and +100 through the seasons, it should be changed at least once a year even if you have only ridden a couple thousand miles. We have to winterize our bikes where I live, and putting fresh oil in in the Fall before we store them eliminates the old contaminated oil from sitting all winter in the crankcase, only to be circulated through in the Spring. Yuck. It is cheap insurance to do it more often.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I think time between intervals needs to be considered too. If you are a casual rider but live where temps range between -50 and +100 through the seasons, it should be changed at least once a year even if you have only ridden a couple thousand miles. We have to winterize our bikes where I live, and putting fresh oil in in the Fall before we store them eliminates the old contaminated oil from sitting all winter in the crankcase, only to be circulated through in the Spring. Yuck. It is cheap insurance to do it more often.
Exactly.

Changing the oil BEFORE storing is the best choice.

After changing the oil, start the engine and let it run for only about 30 seconds - then don't start it again until you are ready to ride in spring.

That circulates the fresh oil throughout the engine, coating and protecting the internals from corrosion while sitting.

Synthetic oil is also better for protecting an engine during storage (and most other times as well). Because it has a closed molecular structure, unlike conventional oil, it doesn't attract oxygen atoms and oxidize. That allows it to be exposed to air for long periods without degrading (unlike conventional oil).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts