Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
281 Posts
101 : That does look good! I think the black version lends to a lot of possibliliteis for revision.....Oh, and I'm sure you are forgiven........

·
Registered
400 Posts
****,now that is nice.how much does it cost to get the rims blacked out?and whats the best way to go about getting it done?powder coated? shiny black or flatte black?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think a semi gloss to flat black. As for the physical act of getting the wheels blacked out the right way, I have no idea. Hopefully someone that knows how to have this done correctly will chime in with their ideas and options. Just painting over the existing silver wheel would leave room for peeling paint problems in the future, one would suspect. What would powder coating involve? Anyone?

·
Registered
400 Posts
yes,anyone?also what is a good way to paint your exhaust cover from silver to black(flat),of course sanding and ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
A new and really cool way to paint your wheels is with a product called PlastiDip. You spray it on like regular paint (comes in a paint can) and taking it off is so easy, shouldn't take long to get back to where you started by peeling off the plastic paint.

see here...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh... I knew about that stuff but I didn't know it came in an aerosol form. Thanks. It gave me a few ideas.

As for using it on wheels... I was thinking along the lines of more permanence. Eventually it would be neccessary to redo it... and I don't want to mess with wheels more than once.

Keep the good ideas coming.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think powder coating the wheels a gloss black would look really good. I like black wheels on bikes and this is one thing I think the Ninja beats out the CBR on.

·
Registered
636 Posts
looks good dave101..i might go that route as far as blacked out wheels..i'll have to give a little more thought as far as the rest..

·
745 Posts
Powder coating would look good - but that process does add weight. Enough to throw off balance? I don't know.

I'm thinking anodized black with a red tracer painted or striped on. If I do it at all, I'll wait until I need tires.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
BTW that's the thai CBR150 in the picture. among other things the frame is completely different and the rims are smaller.

I painted the rims on my Thai 250 black and put on some rim tape.

picking up the all black fairing tmro.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I were to change the color of my rims Id go with powder coatin them!.. Plasti Dips purpose is for adding grip to tools and other items alike!.. The least you could do is blast it with a can of Krylon but not Plasti Dip!..

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ugh I've been wanting black/red wheels since I bought mine. The Ninja next to it at the dealer had almost identical wheels with black/red....... I was just like "why aren't those wheel son mine??" I mean the ninja was white.... it didn't look right.

·
745 Posts
Revising my previous post - discussions with a friend and that knows much more about metallurgy that I do convinced me. The concern is that the alloy used in the wheel will not take the dye evenly.

Another rider recommended a ceramic paint that needs to be heat-cured, but my wheels won't fit in my oven....

Power coating or paint, I guess.....

·
Registered
706 Posts
Revising my previous post - discussions with a friend and that knows much more about metallurgy that I do convinced me. The concern is that the alloy used in the wheel will not take the dye evenly.

Another rider recommended a ceramic paint that needs to be heat-cured, but my wheels won't fit in my oven....

Power coating or paint, I guess.....
With a lot of prep work it would be possible to anodize I'd think, not worth it though. Powder coating would really only be a few ounces per wheel. I've done this myself on some wheels. My only reason I haven't powder coated mine is that I don't have a good way to put this style wheel in an oven. The nice thing about powder is that one coat is all it takes and it covers thoroughly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts