Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
I've been riding 45 years in CA. Given the 30 or so motorcycles I've had over the years, I ALWAYS hold the rubber boot and ALWAYS watch the gas go into the tank. NEVER fill to the very top (you can come close).

If you have a problem doing this then you can buy a McCuff at mccuff.com

Works very well.

I just wonder what it will be like getting gas in NJ (awaiting delivery of my CBR). You are not allowed to pump your own gas where I live. I may have a problem standing the bike upright and some momo jacks too much gas into the tank and all over me! I am a really particular person so these guys better hand over the darn nozzle or should I carry a rag just in case.

Anyone have an experience of this nature?

Don't have to stand it upright to get it full, the filler is in the middle so the "full" will be the same at any upright angle.

I just wonder what it will be like getting gas in NJ (awaiting delivery of my CBR). You are not allowed to pump your own gas where I live. I may have a problem standing the bike upright and some momo jacks too much gas into the tank and all over me! I am a really particular person so these guys better hand over the darn nozzle or should I carry a rag just in case.

Rantoul! In the states where you are not allowed to pump your own gas they make exception for motos and will hand you the nozzle........Not where you live?

That's good to know, TY. Obviously I need to get aquainted with all aspects of the bike. I'm a bit of a Type A personality so I am usually guilty of thinking things out too much in advance. I do have one question I would like to pose to anyone who knows. Much to my surprise my girlfriend expressed an interest in getting on back but her concern was how high up the rear pegs were and would it cause here to hold an extreme squat while there. Can you adjust the rear pegs for different size passengers?

This gas tank is crazy trying to fill it up with gas, my other bike had similar structure but you could put the nozzle in no problem, this one, it keeps making the gas quit because of back pressure and not to mention the back splash even going very slow.:mad:

I am in NJ and and every time I have gone for gas they have handed me the nozzle. I am sure that you will be fine.

Like 88 said, any bike where you pump the gas directly into the tank, you have to hold back the accordian thing. Even when the bar thing isn't there, putting the nozzle all the way in until it works means the end of the nozzle is half way to the bottom of your tank! It's going to shut itself off at about half a tank, so you have to hold the rubber thing back anyway, if you want more than half a tank of gas.

Have Fun,
Java

We don't have any rubber on our nozzles around her. It's still a pain to fill though, backsplahses all over when anything above a dribble. As said though, not to big of a concern when you only have to add a couple of gallons anyways.

You guys are hilarious. I think with or without that little metal bar across, it is not advisable to go full pressure with the gas nozzle. But I mean, even if you spreay it real bad, there's paper towels at the pump and gas evaporates anyway!

There is one thing to keep in mind, if you're gas cap drops with your key in it, your key is ****** LOL :).

Sorry to bring this post back up but I thought I should point something out.

There is most likely a good reason for the bar. I'd be willing to wager that this bike is set up similar to the new Triumph Tiger 800s. They have the fuel pump inside the tank below the filler neck and have a bar going across that prevents the pump nozzle from entering and hitting and possibly harming the fuel pump.

I believe the best filling method is as stated above, pull the boot back on the nozzle if it has one and put the nozzle in a short ways, not enough to block your view of the filler neck and apply light pressure to the trigger then when it kicks on back off the pressure a little to just enough to maintain a nice slow pour that doesn't cause splash or splatter.

Like pretty much everything in life, it requires practice, practice, practice. Eventually it becomes second nature.

yikes, i hadnt even looked... i only put 15 miles on 'er so far

keep me posted though :)
By the way, can someone answer this question... Where do you put your Gas Cap?
Where ever you can find a place to set it down. Normally I set it on top of the pump. There is no holder on the bike. Should have been on a hindge so you could just swing it back and leave it on the bike. Poor design if you ask me

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.