Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the bikes are the same but I am wondering if any of the issues are less prevalent in the 2012 (bugs worked out) or if they are about the same in that respect.

I am looking at a used 2011 and I am wondering of a 2012 would be better with regard to stalling or rattling or the like.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
As long as you plastic dip it or buy the OEM Honda blanket, (not the ebay aftermarket ones), you will be fine with it.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
My 2011 has prevalent Bugs on the windscreen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Manufacturers do tweak little things on their assembly lines as they run, so their products tend to get a bit tighter over time. But I would expect no significant mechanical difference between even early run 2011 bikes and the latest 2012s.

Resale value is another story, with consumers often not subscribing to logic. They discriminate against earlier year models, particularly the first year of a new model.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow thanks for the well thought out responses. Madd-Trapper you sound really wise. Thanks for showing your intellect.
It's because this same thing has been talked about over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over on here and I've only been on here a hair over a month! LOL

99.999% of the people on here don't have the engine stalling issue and a LOT have no rattle either so they're not exactly "bugs" that need worked out. My wife and I have a 2011 and a 2012 and NEITHER of them rattle or stall. You can't make thousands of bikes a month or week and not have a couple here and there that weren't 100% so you're bound to get one here and there that has a small rattle or hiccup every now and then. And for all the "rattles" out there not one has led to any kind of mechanical failure yet or left anybody stranded and is believed to be nothing more than plastic vibrating at just the right frequency, hence the reason it does it at specific rpm ranges. At most both are a mild inconvienance and nothing to "avoid" a bike over.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry Stephenmarklay... fair question... redundancy just seems to produce IQ regression, drooling, twitching, and calluses...

To your question, I have a 2012, and haven't had any of the issues reported on this board, with the exception of the slight buzz from the windscreen at high revs (which goes away when you slip a little rubber (insulation, rubberband, whatever) into the sliver of space between the windscreen and front fairing... acts as a gasket/dampener... Otherwise, no issues at all...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Only have around 82km on mine (2011) -- This was the first weekend I broke her out for a ride, however I didn't notice anything I'd call a rattle nor did it stall when I downshifted.

To the OP: Always keep in mind that 99% of the posts will be about people complaining, NOT saying all is great (when in reality, an extremely low percentage probably have any issue at all). The Internet tends to distort these things, so everything needs to be taken with a grain (or two) of salt.

·
Registered
534 Posts
^EXACTLY!!! The only ones you hear are the people with problems so it seems MUCH worse than it is. The only threads ever started talking about how fine their bikes were running ended up going an ugly direction(although that was mainly due to the OP's attitude). LOL

·
Registered
878 Posts
I know a few people that own these bikes, all 2011 bikes, and no one I know or even spoken with has had one issue, including me...nada. No doubt manufacturers tweek bikes over the course of a production run but I wouldn't expect a lot of changes in an already good bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Depends on where you live...

Here in Georgia, my 2012 bugs are *bigger*...

Florida will offer a good supply of love-bugs..... How I DON'T miss those

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only have around 82km on mine (2011) -- This was the first weekend I broke her out for a ride, however I didn't notice anything I'd call a rattle nor did it stall when I downshifted.

To the OP: Always keep in mind that 99% of the posts will be about people complaining, NOT saying all is great (when in reality, an extremely low percentage probably have any issue at all). The Internet tends to distort these things, so everything needs to be taken with a grain (or two) of salt.
No doubt. Thanks for that insight.

I am looking at a 2011 biken with 2k on it. All in all it is about a 700-800 savings over buying new plus it has the first service which is 100-200 depending. So it does offer some savings plus a few extras. That is not THAT much of it makes sense to get a 2012.

New model years are at the very least a flag. They can also be great buys hindsight if they work out. After a few runs often parts are produced cheaper or resourced etc to keep profits going. That may or may not impact the bike. VW is doing this with cars. They are making them cheaper and cheaper to build. I have not noticed that they are being impacted as far as the user is concerned however.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts