Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I'm about to buy the 2012 in a few weeks, and I want to know some of your oppinions on the cbr's C-ABS vs. standard brakes. I was told that of course the ABS would make my insurance cheaper, but I want to know if it is really worth the $500.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Which ever one gives you the biggest boner.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
On 4 wheels ABS is a no-brainer. Slam on the brakes and you get maximum braking for the conditions. You can also steer because, with ABS, the tyres don't skid and lose traction.

On 4 wheels ABS can make up for limitations in driver skills.

On 2 wheels, with ABS you can brake hard confidently in any conditions, which may or may not be a good thing. However, if you are trying to change direction under braking you will be on your arse before the ABS kicks in.

On 2 wheels ABS can help in some situations, but it is no substitute for riding skills and roadcraft.

If there was a choice, and I had the funds, I would be inclined to give ABS a go for a bike (such as the CBR250R) to be used mainly on sealed roads. If there was no choice, and I just wanted/needed a bike I would not bother waiting, either way.

In my world, I just take whatever suits my needs, and my budget.

In the end, whatever rocks your boat.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Learn to use the search button first.
This has been hashed out in leeeeeeeeeeeeeength.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Getting a CBR250R with the ABS has been the problem. It might be a long wait. My Powerhouse dealer has two non ABS 2011 bikes on the floor. He is still asking $300 over list by the way which shows his confidence in being able to sell them. They are charging $230 over list for the two PCX scooters he has also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
An old, but good read on what ABS buys you on a motorcycle is at Internet BMW Riders - No Fault Braking, A Real-World Comparison of ABS Systems. After reading this, I felt I made the right decision when I ordered my CBR250R with ABS. Unfortunately, my impression when talking to the dealer is that bikes with ABS will probably be in short supply. So, I’m still waiting for mine to come in and hope they’re able to get me one with ABS.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
My dealer is not getting any ABS, so that helped shape my decision. But everyone I know who has ABS likes it. I probably or would have gone that route if he had both. That being said, either ABS or non-ABS is only as good as the rider that's using it. And if I did get ABS, I'd be doing a lot of testing and controlled 'panic' stops before I actually had to use it in a panic situation. 30+ years of non-ABS (and some of that was drums), so I'd really want to learn about the new system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My dealer is not getting any ABS, so that helped shape my decision. But everyone I know who has ABS likes it. I probably or would have gone that route if he had both. That being said, either ABS or non-ABS is only as good as the rider that's using it. And if I did get ABS, I'd be doing a lot of testing and controlled 'panic' stops before I actually had to use it in a panic situation. 30+ years of non-ABS (and some of that was drums), so I'd really want to learn about the new system.
I have abs and like it. It's fun to experiment with. Sometimes I ride the gravel shoulder then brake hard (at low speed with no traffic). The bike just stops; no drama. I have about 9500 km on it but have only felt the abs engage,maybe half a dozen times in regular street riding.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think ABS will make your bike more sale able when you decide to sell it. You will probably recover most of what the ABS cost you. Also, ABS includes a 3 piston front caliper, with the center piston linked to the rear brake pedal. All things to consider along with whether it works or not. I have it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Abs will help you a lot when the roads are less than ideal. Think hard braking coming up to a sudden red light where the lane is bumpy. Abs will take care of it so your not locking up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well my Southern Orlando Honda is a Powerhouse dealer. They're selling ABS and standard for $300 UNDER MSRP. So the price isn't too much of an issue. One thing I read about the C-ABS is that when u hit the back brake, the front is pulled automatically too. That seems like in a turn it could really **** you up...

Please correct me if I'm wrong... Is it the other way around? When you hit the front, the back is pushed too?

I suppose aside from that, the only other problem is whether or not I can get my hands on one with ABS.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
One thing I read about the C-ABS is that when u hit the back brake, the front is pulled automatically too. That seems like in a turn it could really **** you up...

Please correct me if I'm wrong... Is it the other way around? When you hit the front, the back is pushed too?

The rear brake operates one of the front caliper pistons (It has 3 )

The ABS front brake works alone, and is aided by abs and has a very nice caliper suitable for the bike.

If you are braking in a turn then there a whole heap of riding issues that must be worked on regardless of the motorcycle type, and if anyone 'hits' the rear brake then they certainly will be better off with abs.

ABS has taught me alot of things about braking (by feel at the lever/tyre grip) that would otherwise go unoticed- or end in tears.

Honda has done its homework on this and we are lucky to benefit.

The braking complaints threads on here are from the poverty pack model, not the ABS.

It works,
Its a bargain,
Its lighter than many other systems and is a no brainer for me.
We see ppl spending more than that money on parts that serve no purpose.

Many fads have come and gone in the motorcycle world, abs is here to stay.

It improves the motorcycle, but the rest is up to the rider.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with you Auffit....It can actually help your braking by allowing you to explore the limits safely. Turning an entry level rider off of ABS is irresponsible imho.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Abs will help you a lot when the roads are less than ideal. Think hard braking coming up to a sudden red light where the lane is bumpy. Abs will take care of it so your not locking up.
Sudden red light....!? Don't the lights go orange first (stop if you can do so safely, otherwise continue through). If the red light is sudden you are probably going too fast. And if you do decide to stop quickly for that "sudden" red light, you had better be sure that there is no one behind you with different ideas.

Less than ideal roads. Again you should be riding to the conditions, adapting your speed to the road.

There has been the odd time when I have hit the brakes hard in a car, though it has been rare. Cars are big so there are times when you cannot find your way around a problem. I have never driven a car with ABS; the most modern car I have driven was my sister's early '90s Honda Civic. The most modern car I have owned (1982 Honda City) didn't even have disc brakes, as I recall.

On a motorcycle, I cannot recall a time when I have been hard on the brakes on the road. I learned to ride off road at the School of Hard Knocks. I discovered that braking hard is, in general, not a good idea. A motorcycle is small, and a light one is quite manoeuverable. Light on the brakes to scrub off a bit of speed (I think they call it trail braking, but being an uneducated old fool I don't know for sure) and find a way around a problem is the way to go.

Be aware of what you want to avoid, but look where you want to go.

Undeniably, ABS does have the advantage that you can be confident about braking heavily under any conditions. For a prudent rider, ABS can certainly add a margin of safety (that most will probably never have to call on). However riders inclined to go hard and probe the limits, thinking that technology is their guardian angel, might have another think coming.

For that reason I suggest that ABS may, or may not, be a good thing. If you do go for ABS, ride like you don't have it.

My current ride has drum brakes fore and aft. I have only owned one bike with a disc up front.

That probably makes me a geezer who knows sweet Fanny Adams. Still, I have muddled along for a few decades and a few hundred thousand kilometres since I last had an accident on the road.... and that came from behind; braking had nothing to do with it.

Not my fault, but if I was more aware, and better positioned on the road that one could have been avoided.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do appreciate all the information guys. One thing I'm left wondering though now is... what would be the circumstance where I would only apply the front brake?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I do appreciate all the information guys. One thing I'm left wondering though now is... what would be the circumstance where I would only apply the front brake?
Everywhere, except when you are spearing off into the gravel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I talked this out with a bunch of long-term riders from the area and the basics that I kept hearing were that in a place like southern cali where the weather is pretty much nice 90% of the year, something like ABS is more of a luxury unnecessary item.

The reasoning I got was that it's most beneficial is sketchy riding like wet roads and since that is a rarity here, I would be better off spending the extra 500 on riding classes and learning how to brake properly instead of relying on technology to help me.

So I took the advice, saved the 500 off the bike and took the rider courses, which I felt were absolutely necessary now.

I def have ABS on my car though and I did originally intend on getting the bike with it, but in the end I couldn't find a 250 with ABS anyways.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought w/ ABS (and just found it it's delayed another month into April)...
Reason I did (even though the dealer thought it unwarranted since "the bike is so light, you shouldn't ever have to use the ABS..." He's not a big fan of the CBR250 in general... he likes the Ninja), was I couldn't find a downside, and if I only use it once in the life of the bike, it's paid for itself... Not to mention insurance and re-sale benefits.

It's showing up in more and more bikes, apparently. I wouldn't be surprised if it were just standard everywhere in ten years, as it's become in cars.

As for learning proper braking in class -- I think the MSF course should be mandatory. A third of my class were experienced riders that commented, repeatedly, on how much they learned about breaking, cornering, and crash avoidance in general, during the two days.

The instructor(s) both agreed on ABS, that it shouldn't be relied on. I agree with that as well... I don't rely on my backup regulator when I dive (octo), however, I like knowing it's there...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts