Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there.

Have owned multiple little Honda cars over the years. Currently have a 1990 CRX Si with a built 1.8L DOHC VTEC at 190hp that averages around 35MPG. My primary vehicle is a 2008 Chicane Silver S2000 with red/black interior that I absolutely love. Unfortunately, it only averages 27MPG, which is higher than rated but gets pricey for the amount I drive. Both also require premium gas...

The past couple months I've been averaging 3000-3500 miles and I don't see that amount of driving decreasing any time soon. That equates to $450-500+ in gas, per month, on top of the mileage that's being piled on the S2000. No thanks. On top of that, I need rear tires every 15,000-20,000 miles, and fronts every other rear tire change... At $350+ per rear tire change, it's not very economical.

Have always wanted a motorcycle, so decided I'd find one to cut down on my fuel costs. I've always wanted a CBR600RR, but was a bit dismayed by the 40-50mpg that seems to be common with "conservative" driving. When I factor in the cost of insurance and maintenance, it wouldn't save me any money.

I came across the CBR250R and it seems perfect. Not only are they dirt cheap, but 70+ mpg? Oh yes. My only concern is struggling with the 70-80mph speeds I need to keep up with traffic on my long daily commute and weekend drives out of state. From what I've read, it can handle it. I'm already strongly considering the 15T sprocket to lower the RPM at these speeds.

I pick it up next week in Georgia. The local dealership wanted $5700 out the door, while this place in Georgia will send me on my way for under $4300. I'm going to take a nice drive through the mountains in the S2000 with the top down, and have an experienced friend follow me back with the bike. Here's to hoping it doesn't get broken...

Hello, from Huntsville, AL.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome! They are GREAT little bikes and have more than enough power to maintain 70+mph on the highway. Mine is still breaking in with only a hair over 400 miles on it and I just got 71.8mpg this last tank! I know your pain as far as gas goes. I have a 70+ mile (round trip) commute 5 days a week and my jeep gets 14-15mpg so it was costing a fortune! It sounds like your local dealer is a real scumbag because that is WAAAAY more than what you should pay(obviously you already know that though). I got my 2011 leftover OTD for $4,160 and my wifes 2012 for $4,445. Anyways, welcome to the great forum here and you're gonna have a blast on your 250! Especially at the pump! LOL Post up pics when you get it. What color did you get?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings Jorsher,

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your New cbr. More smiles to the miles in your Future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I only have 50 miles on it, but am about to take it for a nice 20 mile round-trip once everyone gets home from work.

Keeping it on relatively light-traffic country roads until the rest of my gear arrives and I have the confidence to mingle with traffic.

Looking forward to commuting with it. It's not as slow and boring as I expected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts