4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
1,305 Posts
$2k for awesome mpg for work commute....

great stuff

·
Registered
493 Posts
For around town motoring, that would beat a scooter/moped any day!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I got the cbr it was almost the cheapest bike I could buy bar a whoflung , a cbr125, and one of those horrible (but good looking) Megelli things.

If life ever ever gets so poor but I still want to be on 2 wheels this cb125 might just keep me mobile, better than a scooter.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
That's a great deal. I'll probably never see one in the US though. They won't even import the CBR125R here. The top selling bike maker in the US is Harley.
I've just had a look at your Fuelly link and I'm interested as to what sort of speeds you ride at normally. You fuel consumption is amazing. Most of my riding is 50% at 30 - 40 mph, and 50% cruising at 70 mph and so far I'm averaging 82 mpg. I used to have a CBF 125 that used to average 146 mpg at 30 - 40 mph, but that would drop quite a bit if I was cruising at 60 - 70 mph.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I've just had a look at your Fuelly link and I'm interested as to what sort of speeds you ride at normally. You fuel consumption is amazing. Most of my riding is 50% at 30 - 40 mph, and 50% cruising at 70 mph and so far I'm averaging 82 mpg. I used to have a CBF 125 that used to average 146 mpg at 30 - 40 mph, but that would drop quite a bit if I was cruising at 60 - 70 mph.
I average 68mph. The key is riding in a tuck.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Specifications – GLH125
Engine Type 124.1cc Air-cooled 4-stroke 2-valve OHC single
Bore x Stroke 56.5 x 49.5mm
Compression Ratio 9.0: 1
Ignition DC-CDI
Transmission 5-speed
Dimensions (LxWxH) 2,026 x 765 x 1,094mm
Wheelbase 1,286mm
Seat Height 767mm
Ground Clearance 145mm
Fuel Tank Capacity 14 litres
Front Tyre 80/100–18 M/C 47P
Rear Tyre 90/90–18 M/C 51P
Front Suspension Telescopic fork, 118mm axle travel
Rear Suspension Swingarm, 70mm axle travel
Front Brakes Hydraulic single disc
Rear Brakes Internal expanding shoe
Kerb Weight 137kg

·
Registered
35 Posts
From those specs it seems to be almost identical (Engine is the same but the chassis and styling are different) to the Honda E-Storm.. According to that PDF it's roughly 7kw and that 14l will get you 684km's.

That would still be OK For City use. Wouldn't want it in my area though. My CBR250R has trouble getting up some of the hills!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Having recently moved to the cbr250ra from the scooter world. Just curious why some of you say this 125cc bike is better than a scooter? Love my cbr but for the utility a scooter is superiour in storage/carry capacity. Even a small displacement scoot (like the Derbi 150cc i had) has storage underseat and flat floorboard and bag hook.

I could carry quite a load of groceries with that bike. And thats excluding a top box(which i never added because i felt it would ruin the look of the bike)

My previous (50cc) bike had a top box. so i had even more carry capacity. My bike prior to the cbr was a Piaggio X9 and that thing had a HUGE underseat storage plus a large top box. never had to use the bag hook on that bike but the option was there.

so for one that only has 2wheel transport for general grocery getting the scooter is the better choice. That is about the only thing i miss about the scooter.

I dont miss the small wheels. the poor suspension/handling, the Derbi was not too bad but i Hated the unsprung weight of the motor on the swing arm with the X9.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Having recently moved to the cbr250ra from the scooter world. Just curious why some of you say this 125cc bike is better than a scooter? Love my cbr but for the utility a scooter is superiour in storage/carry capacity. Even a small displacement scoot (like the Derbi 150cc i had) has storage underseat and flat floorboard and bag hook.

I could carry quite a load of groceries with that bike. And thats excluding a top box(which i never added because i felt it would ruin the look of the bike)

My previous (50cc) bike had a top box. so i had even more carry capacity. My bike prior to the cbr was a Piaggio X9 and that thing had a HUGE underseat storage plus a large top box. never had to use the bag hook on that bike but the option was there.

so for one that only has 2wheel transport for general grocery getting the scooter is the better choice. That is about the only thing i miss about the scooter.

I dont miss the small wheels. the poor suspension/handling, the Derbi was not too bad but i Hated the unsprung weight of the motor on the swing arm with the X9.
I had an Aprilia SR50 before my CBR250R--that thing was a beast when it came to carrying groceries. Well, it was a beast at pretty much everything it did, in terms of scooters. Wish I still had it (along with my CBR, not instead of)...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I average 68mph. The key is riding in a tuck.
When I look on Fuelly, it says that you are averaging 103 mpg imperial. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you filling up with US gallons and entering it on Fuelly as imperial gallons? If I convert my average mpg (82.5 mpg imperial) to US mpg, it comes out at 99 mpg US, which isn't far off what you're getting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts