Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for this long post but want to give as much info as possible.

I stupidly did not have the bike on tender this winter so went to start it last week and of course the battery was drained, jump started it and it turned on right away. Couldn't take take it out so turned it off connected the trickle charger for a full day. Next day checked it, lights and instrument panel lit up, horn was still weak so left on charger again.

Next day, got gas filled tank at least half way, probably more, Bike still lit up but would not turn on, jump started it and it immediately turned on. Disconnected it from jump cable bike stayed on so I decided to take it out to see if the battery recharges. I was out for about a 40 minutes, the whole time stopping at red lights on nuetral or in gear and bike stayed on. Then all of sudden bike lost power and turned off and i could not turn it back on. Called wife to come jump me again, again turned on right away so wanted to get home before it happened again AND after a shorter time this time it shut off again, repeated with jumping it, turned on right away and off again i was. Got a few several yards far and again lost power, turned off. Wife is following me the whole time. Jump started again this time absolutely nothing at all, no instruments lights, no headlight and of course it would not turn on. Would no longer turn on at all. I'm sure the constant jump of the battery screwed the battery or possibly something else? I don't know I'm no gear head. Took the battery out and wife took it and got me a brand new battery. Connected the battery, lights. instrument panel and horn were now at full strength i had juice AWESOME but that excitement was short lived when i went to turn it on but the bike will not turn on. Power to lights, horn and panels all good just will no longer start.

I got a friend to get me up in his pick up, brought the bike home, tired after this whole thing so i quickly looked up what it can possibly be and I THINK.. again i'm not a mechanic or have any real bike knowledge but THINK it's either the alternator or magnetic coil? Again from what i quickly researched. The bike is in excellent shape and does not make any weird or loud noises or ticks that would concern me and until now has had no troubles starting at all, no signs of anything.

Anyone know what they think it may be and or how i can determine what it could be..alternator/magnetic coil or possibly something else. What can I test that would tell me exactly what it is? As i said I'm not a mechanic but would take a shot at replacing a part or parts if i can find out what it is..I'm trying not have to find a mechanic and pay those labor costs. Any help or resources any could provide would be greatly appreciated and be very helpful.

Thank you
John L
Long Island, NYC

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
(SNIP)
Next day, got gas filled tank at least half way, probably more, Bike still lit up but would not turn on, jump started it and it immediately turned on. (SNIP)
I'm sure the constant jump of the battery screwed the battery or possibly something else? I don't know I'm no gear head. Took the battery out and wife took it and got me a brand new battery. Connected the battery, lights. instrument panel and horn were now at full strength i had juice AWESOME but that excitement was short lived when i went to turn it on but the bike will not turn on. Power to lights, horn and panels all good just will no longer start.

I got a friend to get me up in his pick up, brought the bike home, tired after this whole thing so i quickly looked up what it can possibly be and I THINK.. again i'm not a mechanic or have any real bike knowledge but THINK it's either the alternator or magnetic coil? Again from what i quickly researched. The bike is in excellent shape and does not make any weird or loud noises or ticks that would concern me and until now has had no troubles starting at all, no signs of anything.

Anyone know what they think it may be and or how i can determine what it could be..alternator/magnetic coil or possibly something else. What can I test that would tell me exactly what it is? As i said I'm not a mechanic but would take a shot at replacing a part or parts if i can find out what it is..I'm trying not have to find a mechanic and pay those labor costs. Any help or resources any could provide would be greatly appreciated and be very helpful.

Thank you
John L
Long Island, NYC
Did you fully charge the new battery before installing it? If not, try that first. Get a volt meter if you don't have one - that's the only way to know what's going on with a battery.

I posted this in another thread about battery issues. To check that the charging system is working -

Check the voltage before starting. It should be around 12.7V.

Then start it up and let it idle. It should read higher, like 13.5V.

Then take the revs to 5000. It should read just over 14V.

Those are estimates, but you get the idea.

Also, you may have fuel issues. It doesn't sound like you stored it properly. For long term storage you want to fill the tank completely, add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer, run the engine for at least a few minutes to get the stabilizer into the entire fuel system. Gas without ethanol is always the best, especially for storage. Changing the oil before storing, and running for a short period, is the best defense against internal corrosion during storage.

You may want to completely drain the tank before filling, as an empty tank can promote condensation and corrosion. There may be water in the tank that's causing some of the problems. Use 87 octane regular without ethanol, or any gas without ethanol, if possible and add 1oz per gal of a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate once per season to keep the injector, valves, and combustion chamber clear of deposits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you fully charge the new battery before installing it? If not, try that first. Get a volt meter if you don't have one - that's the only way to know what's going on with a battery.

I posted this in another thread about battery issues. To check that the charging system is working -

Check the voltage before starting. It should be around 12.7V.

Then start it up and let it idle. It should read higher, like 13.5V.

Then take the revs to 5000. It should read just over 14V.

Those are estimates, but you get the idea.

Also, you may have fuel issues. It doesn't sound like you stored it properly. For long term storage you want to fill the tank completely, add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer, run the engine for at least a few minutes to get the stabilizer into the entire fuel system. Gas without ethanol is always the best, especially for storage. Changing the oil before storing, and running for a short period, is the best defense against internal corrosion during storage.

You may want to completely drain the tank before filling, as an empty tank can promote condensation and corrosion. There may be water in the tank that's causing some of the problems. Use 87 octane regular without ethanol, or any gas without ethanol, if possible and add 1oz per gal of a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate once per season to keep the injector, valves, and combustion chamber clear of deposits.
Thank you for the reply. The tank wasn't empty, I got gas because I planned on riding it for a while to recharge the battery and wanted to make sure i had enough, Of course I don't know but I'm not sure it's a fuel issue as it started with no problem after i jumped started the old battery, didn't stall at all or had any trouble turning over. I rode for 40 minutes before power went out and it kept powering off every other time, it didn't seem or sound fuel related at all or as if fuel wasn't getting to where it needed to go. No stalls, surges or anything the power just shuts down the bike. The new battery is fully charged, lights, instrument panels are fully and horn is now loud again (wasn't the case before with the old battery) Which is why i thought it was the alternator or from what i read magnetic coil? i did smell something weird in the general area where the battery is, a smell like burning copper or something.. another reason why i'm thinking coil/alternator ?? I will definitely look into your suggestions but I'm just providing the information i have since I'm not knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Check the battery voltage and let us know what you get.

Make sure all connections are snug as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the battery voltage and let us know what you get.

Make sure all connections are snug as well.
Bingo i think that's exactly what it was made sure the battery was screwed in snug and it turned on with no problem, stayed on with no signs that it want to power off. The one thing......as a test i disconnected the battery while it was running and it stayed on for a about a second or two then shut off. Could that be signs of a bad alternator? Shouldn't it stay on? I connected the battery back on the trickle charger and will test again later.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Bingo i think that's exactly what it was made sure the battery was screwed in snug and it turned on with no problem, stayed on with no signs that it want to power off. The one thing......as a test i disconnected the battery while it was running and it stayed on for a about a second or two then shut off. Could that be signs of a bad alternator? Shouldn't it stay on? I connected the battery back on the trickle charger and will test again later.
I don't think that will tell you anything. Most engines need a battery in the system to function - especially a F.I. engine.

Fully charge the battery and check it in the ways I mentioned above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that will tell you anything. Most engines need a battery in the system to function - especially a F.I. engine.

Fully charge the battery and check it in the ways I mentioned above.
Sorry forgot to mention, I did check the voltage, while the bike was off it read 13.4, while running 14.4 and goes up when revving the throttle to 1000rpm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charging system sounds fine then.
If i'm understanding correctly i think so too but I also want to determine is whether or not the Stator is also reading the correct OHMs. Or is that even necessary?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If i'm understanding correctly i think so too but I also want to determine is whether or not the Stator is also reading the correct OHMs. Or is that even necessary?
I don't think it's necessary if you are charging properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts