Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m new to bikes and bought a used 2012 CBR 250r from a buddy of mine so I know it was fine when I got it. Rode it a couple months then all of a sudden it just doesn’t want to shift past 4th. When I go to rise the shifter it just doesn’t budge. Thankfully I only use it around town so I never need to go much faster, but I have needed to before so I’m just wondering what’s going on. Thanks!

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
744 Posts
Hello! I’m new to bikes and bought a used 2012 CBR 250r from a buddy of mine so I know it was fine when I got it. Rode it a couple months then all of a sudden it just doesn’t want to shift past 4th. When I go to rise the shifter it just doesn’t budge. Thankfully I only use it around town so I never need to go much faster, but I have needed to before so I’m just wondering what’s going on. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Do not use force. Maybe something sticks the forks in the gear drum. Warm the engine (be careful of heat, and burns), drain the hot oil and try to see what his color? If there is special residue? Maybe metal chips in oil? I would recommend rinsing the engine with cycle of new cheap semi-synthetic oil, warm up, drive a few miles on it, and empty it. If necessary, do an additional rinsing cycle with the cheap semi-synthetic oil. At the end I would even go for a full synthetic High quality oil.
After that procedure I hope your problem is solved for you.

·
Registered
744 Posts
That's not a common issue for the CBR.
YES
That's a common issue for all neglected motorcycles with a:
  • very old oil,
  • residue from burnt oil, metal chips, clutch pad chips...
  • or gear drum wear,
  • or poor quality oil...
That cause the gear drum to jam.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would look closely at the linkage,
NO
If first four gears are working good, including the neutral,
there is no reason to suspect that the linkage mechanism is not work properly.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
NO
there is no reason to suspect that the linkage mechanism is not work properly.
Really? You are that sure?

I don't think you can count-out possible binding of the linkage as a cause, even though it does shift into other gears.

Also -

there is no reason to suspect that the linkage mechanism is not work properly. oil is the cause.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Really? You are that sure? YES

I don't think you can count-out possible binding of the linkage as a cause, even though it does shift into other gears.
It is what it is.
IF "it does shift into other gears" THEN "binding of the linkage" can't be the cause.
Sorry, something is stopping the gear mechanism, "sticking" the drum.
And that happens in the transition between fourth and fifth gear.
This "something" could be any of the reasons I mentioned, and here he mentioned again:
  • very old oil,
  • gear drum wear,
  • poor quality oil...

·
Registered
744 Posts
And sometimes rinsing the gear-box with fresh oil (or a dedicated rinsing agent), or even replacing it with quality oil, and I recommend rinsing before adding quality oil ... so sometimes this procedure loosens the drum ...
Rinsing procedure it's so cheap compared to the alternative, nor is there any other way other than the hope that it will work out on itself, that's what is customary to do in this case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I've had a off-road bike did this with 3rd gear
Also a 250cc, managed to drive home slowly and had a mechanic take the motor apart, the gearbox had a broken chip on the tooth and this broken off piece was lodged in such a way that it blocked the gear from being shifted in to.

Perhaps this has happened to your bike too. Just worth mentioning as nobody else has

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi, I've had a off-road bike did this with 3rd gear
Also a 250cc, managed to drive home slowly and had a mechanic take the motor apart, the gearbox had a broken chip on the tooth and this broken off piece was lodged in such a way that it blocked the gear from being shifted in to.

Perhaps this has happened to your bike too. Just worth mentioning as nobody else has???
Exmoz yes, I mentioned that, and your detailed explanation is very helpful to understand it(y)

I just suggested before "mechanic take the motor apart", try a simple and inexpensive treatment:
Rinsing the gear-box with engine oil.

29-06-2022
30-06-2022
...and here he mentioned again:

·
Registered
744 Posts
check out this one I think it will work for you
Roger The principle of the spring in the Husqvarna is really similar to that found in the Honda.
The rest of the principles of the gear drum mechanism are similar as well In both brands.
At the Honda we also needs to remove the clutch cover and the clutch-basket to reach that spring.
Only that, and if I understand, our friend goldie has no problem with that spring.

P.S. At the Honda CBR250R(2013) the gearshift pedal is on the opposite side to the side of the clutch.
Like my Honda Innova125i (Start at 1:23):

·
Registered
744 Posts
And maybe in our CBR there is no need to disassemble the basket?
(Start at 7:48)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Roger The principle of the spring in the Husqvarna is really similar to that found in the Honda.
The rest of the principles of the gear drum mechanism are similar as well In both brands.
At the Honda we also needs to remove the clutch cover and the clutch-basket to reach that spring.
Only that, and if I understand, our friend goldie has no problem with that spring.

P.S. At the Honda CBR250R(2013) the gearshift pedal is on the opposite side to the side of the clutch.
Like my Honda Innova125i (Start at 1:23):
Thanks for sharing bro. This video is better than going to Honda service.

·
Registered
744 Posts
And there is that too:
Font Line Auto part Parallel Motor vehicle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts