Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery, ignition coil, spark plug, spark plug cap and the starter motor at this point have all been replaced. Still it will not start. Everything powers up just fine. I hear the fuel pump kick on as it should. Still it will not fully crank. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
29 Posts
My friend had the bike sitting for about 2 years, gas was not treated while it was sitting. Before starting the bike I put some seafoam to dilute the rust and we jumped the battery to a friend's car battery because the battery was dead. Then I got a new battery and would try and start the bike multiple times. and noting. Then I cleaned out the tank and the whole fuel pump assembly and put in a new aftermarket pump of eBay. Then I replaced the spark plug still nothing. I have the same problem. Everything works. I have spark, I get fuel to the injector. It will crank but not start. Am I supposed to be getting a v-shaped mist spray from the injector and should I replace the engine oil and air filter? The bike will start for as short amount if I spray starter fluid into the air box.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
That's a lot of new parts...

What do you mean by will not fully crank?

Is it spinning over rapidly? Is the battery fully charged? Do you have a volt/ohm meter? Have you confirmed you have spark? How fresh is the gas? Have the cycle been sitting for any length of time?

·
Registered
29 Posts

Is it spinning over rapidly? Is the battery fully charged? Do you have a volt/ohm meter? Have you confirmed you have spark? How fresh is the gas? Have the cycle been sitting for any length of time?

my fuel pump pumps gas, my spark plugs get spark. I put new gas in their with a little but of seafoam to dilute if anything of the rust is still thier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yea it is spinning over rapidly. I just wont crank. And at this point yes it has been sitting. I am going to replace the fluids and filters and things of the sort. Yes i have a meter. Battery is fine. I havent personally checked for spark because i assume its there since the coils and all were profedsionally replaced.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yea it is spinning over rapidly. I just wont crank. And at this point yes it has been sitting. I am going to replace the fluids and filters and things of the sort. Yes i have a meter. Battery is fine. I havent personally checked for spark because i assume its there since the coils and all were profedsionally replaced.
It was professionally worked on, had a bunch of expensive parts replaced, and they gave it back to you not running?

Pull the plug and check for spark. A spark tester is handy, but not usually required.

Is the voltage at 12.7 or more? If not, charge the battery.

How old is the fuel? If it's not brand-new, drain the tank completely and refill with fresh 87. I'd also add 1oz per gal of Techron Concentrate to the new gas.

If you confirm you have spark, remove the air filter, hold the throttle wide open, and try to get a splash of gas into the intake. You can also use Starter Fluid. If you get any type of running you know you aren't getting fuel.

The injector may be clogged-up if it was sitting and the fuel was not treated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will replace the fuel injector and hopefully that was the only problem. Once I do that I will let you know what happens. Thank you very much.?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I will replace the fuel injector and hopefully that was the only problem. Once I do that I will let you know what happens. Thank you very much.?
I wouldn't do that quite yet.

Check everything else first. If you have spark, and get some fuel into the engine, it may run enough to partially clear the injector. That's where the new fuel and Techron come in. If the injector is indeed sticking or gummed-up the Techron will free it up most likely.

Also, open the throttle slightly, and vary the position, as you are cranking. Some times that will help get an engine started that is on the edge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't do that quite yet.

Check everything else first. If you have spark, and get some fuel into the engine, it may run enough to partially clear the injector. That's where the new fuel and Techron come in. If the injector is indeed sticking or gummed-up the Techron will free it up most likely.

Also, open the throttle slightly, and vary the position, as you are cranking. Some times that will help get an engine started that is on the edge.
I know I have spark and fuel comes out of the fuel injector but it does not spray a v shaped mist. When I add starter fluid to the intake it starts up and then dies right away even if i hold the throttle open. Should I take out the injector and add a little amount of gas inside that port?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I know I have spark and fuel comes out of the fuel injector but it does not spray a v shaped mist. When I add starter fluid to the intake it starts up and then dies right away even if i hold the throttle open. Should I take out the injector and add a little amount of gas inside that port?
OK - that's good news.

As long as the injector is spraying you have a chance to get fresh fuel into the combustion chamber.

There is still old gas still in the fuel system and lines that needs to be removed. If you can get a small spray bottle or something to use to get fuel directly into the intake you may be able to get it to run long enough to move the old fuel out of the lines and injector. If not, you could pull the injector and clean it. I don't think it needs to be replaced.

Make sure you have drained the tank completely and added Techron. Once the new fuel gets into the engine I think it will run, and the Techron will eventually clear the injector.

The un-atomized gas from the obstructed injector may be wetting and fouling the plug. You may want to check that it's not wet. With the plug out you can crank the engine over to blow out any raw gas that may be still sitting in the chamber.

Also keep track of the battery and make sure it's fully charged after cranking and short running.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK - that's good news.

As long as the injector is spraying you have a chance to get fresh fuel into the combustion chamber.

There is still old gas still in the fuel system and lines that needs to be removed. If you can get a small spray bottle or something to use to get fuel directly into the intake you may be able to get it to run long enough to move the old fuel out of the lines and injector. If not, you could pull the injector and clean it. I don't think it needs to be replaced.

Make sure you have drained the tank completely and added Techron. Once the new fuel gets into the engine I think it will run, and the Techron will eventually clear the injector.

The un-atomized gas from the obstructed injector may be wetting and fouling the plug. You may want to check that it's not wet. With the plug out you can crank the engine over to blow out any raw gas that may be still sitting in the chamber.

Also keep track of the battery and make sure it's fully charged after cranking and short running.
When ypu day plug do you mean spark plug?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
When ypu day plug do you mean spark plug?
Yes. The spark plug can get wet if the injector is not spraying properly and not fire.

Make sure you use the correct plug as well. It's kind of odd if I recall correctly, and the replacements aren't exactly the same. It's rare, but spark plugs have been seen to go bad as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes. The spark plug can get wet if the injector is not spraying properly and not fire.

Make sure you use the correct plug as well. It's kind of odd if I recall correctly, and the replacements aren't exactly the same. It's rare, but spark plugs have been seen to go bad as well.
Okay I will try to let the water or fuel come out if the camber where the spark plug is when I get a chance and I already replaced the spark plugs with the same ones that manufacturer recomandes.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I took out the spark plug and cranked the bike and it still would not start. after that I sprayed some starter fluid and it would eventually die. when I sprayed gas it would eventually die as well. How do I upload a video to show you how it sounds like? I am working on the bike right now.

When I kept trying to start the bike it died quick and the volts dropped to 11 volts( it's a lead acid battery ). Do I have to get a new battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts

When I kept trying to start the bike it died quick and the volts dropped to 11 volts( it's a lead acid battery ). Do I have to get a new battery.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
See reply #6

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have spark, I have fuel coming out of the fuel injector, I got a new battery, and still at square one lol. I can send a video to one of you guys somehow if that is allowed. I can not upload a video on this page.
PM me a video if you can, or I will send you my email address via PM.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts