Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy starting to shop looking at the 2012 cbr250 ra , last bike was a 76 kz900 put 55k miles on it laid down hard stopped rideing havent rode much since long story short cabin fever and mid life time has me wanting a city bike again, dont want highway bike cbr looks fun ,has anyone rode the bike with abs ? is abs something you would consider must have , lookforward to your opinions
thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings rideuprite,

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of Posts about the subject of abs on the Forum.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Well, ABS is only ~$500 more than non-ABS. If you're financing, that adds up to a few dollars a month that could potentially save your life.

I'd say go for it.

Think of it as the cheapest insurance you could possibly get. It will also help out the resale value, assuming you dont drop this one as well. ;-)

Be safe.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
We only opted for our non-ABS bikes because we got them for much less than list price. If the difference is $500 or even $1000, definitely get the ABS.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I say save $500 . When i brake i want all control . I dont want anything controling my front or rear brake but me. Im sure the goverment will require ABS on all motorcycles in the future. I say take motorcycle course I learn to brake properly & still save money.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Unfortunately, TBCs opinions about ABS on motorcycles are not based on facts. There was a study (I think in California) involving motorcycle police. They were trying to improve the safety of and found that departments that switched to ABS bikes had significantly fewer injuries. You would have to google it to find out the details.

I have to say, though, that I used a cost/benefit analysis of it and opted for the non-ABS, but that was because we simply couldn't afford 2 ABS bikes. The cost difference for us would have been about $2000.00 because our dealer was trying to unload the older, non-ABS bikes to make room for more ABS models.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I meant to add to the above post, that expert riders (meaning professional racer caliber riders) may, under perfect road conditions, have better braking results without ABS than with it. So TBC has something of a point about riding skills being a factor. Definitely take the MSF course, learn all you can, and then buy the bike with ABS.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
ABS or not, safety is more about attitude than technology.

On 4 wheels ABS is a no brainer; ABS can make up for limitation in driving skills.

On 2 wheels ABS can help on sealed roads, but it is no substitute for sound basic skills and road-craft.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Who said ABS was a substitute for skills? No one. The question asked was is ABS a "must have" and my reply is: yes, if you can afford it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd say if you've dropped your last bike and considering buying this bike with abs get it. Just don't convince yourself you can't drop it cause it's got abs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the info I have not felt what abs on a motorcycle does , the laydown was not my first in 55k miles of rideing the kz and was glad I could lay it down once when car pulled out in front of me and no where to go but trunk or down . I will have to test drive one and feel the difference ,hope it doesnt complicate the brake system beyond what the average mechanic can do without expensive diagnostic tools ,as I enjoy pulling wrenches on my own machine. Ride Safe enjoy the breeze

1 - 13 of 13 Posts