Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello All, I am a new proud owner of a Black CBR250R, I took delivery last week, I haven't been on a bike in over 30 years - I do have one question I am sure you guys could answer - I live in Randolph NJ 07869 and I need some one on one coaching to get back into ridding again. Let me explain, I have been in the car tracking lifestyle for the past 20+ years - I got into a bad wreck last year and could no longer afford to play in that space, which brings me to the sport bike arena - I am having a hard time with getting comfortable with ridding as I once did so many years ago. If there is anyone close to my home in Randolph, please contact me so we can discuss some one on one coaching to get me back in the sport bike life. Thank you all in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Welcome!

Practice makes perfect! No one can make you feel comfortable while on a bike. You either are or you aren't.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome, RJMDAD! I'm new to riding had my bike for a month and logged 440 miles. :) While I don't have previous experience, I can understand the desire to want to feel more comfortable/confident on the bike. From my very limited experience, I can honestly say that each and every time I ride I discover more of what I'm seeking. Building my skills, overcoming fears and learning how to handle my bike. I take it easy and trust the machine, my training and remind myself that I CAN do this!

Also, I'm an information junkie, but another member on this forum told me about an excellent book: "Proficient Motorcycling" (v. 2) by David Hough. I, too, HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.

Good luck, ride strong & be safe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome! The cbr250 is my first bike and it took me some time to get use to. You just have to take it out and play around with it for a while to get comfortable. You can also do a MSF where you can use your own bike.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I agree that you either are or are not comfortable. Further training will assist in building skills which in turn builds confidence. I find that the older people are when they learn a new skill and in this case, riding a bike, the more aware they are with their mortality. This reality can either help with riding by not taking stupid risks or impede the new riders confidence. Go to a reputable school who will teach you the proper techniques. If you are terribly afraid then perhaps riding is not the way to go. Perhaps the serious accident that took you out of racing cars is playing a role??:confused:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Welcome. Take the MSF course, talk to your dealer about other, private, riding schools, get comfortable on the bike. If you get comfortable on the bike, sign up for a track day next spring/summer. Practice practice practice. <--- all tips given to me as a new rider (and I'm, apparently "older" too) Frankly, if you can't get comfortable, maybe it's not the right thing for you. I bet you can get comfortable, though. I sure hope you do. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Comfort is one thing but don't get too comfortable.

Complacency can be a killer.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
^ AOP is correct. by "comfortable" i meant "not frightened"

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Welcome. Take the MSF course, talk to your dealer about other, private, riding schools, get comfortable on the bike. If you get comfortable on the bike, sign up for a track day next spring/summer. Practice practice practice. <--- all tips given to me as a new rider (and I'm, apparently "older" too) Frankly, if you can't get comfortable, maybe it's not the right thing for you. I bet you can get comfortable, though. I sure hope you do. Good luck.

No you're nooooooootttt! Pashaw!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have not been on a bike for twenty years either. I got my CBR two weeks ago. After riding for about a week I came to the conclusion that I am a "bike type of guy". Maybe I am going through a minor mid-life crisis but I really have always loved being on a bike. Even back to the bmx days as a kid. Being older, my biggest piece of advice to myself is don't get proud and ride well within my capabilities. Maybe I should make this a new thread but what type of bike did you learn on? My step dad taught me on his Honda Shadow 500. It's amazing I am alive. I was 16 and did not even have an endorsement!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts