Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fourm,

I feel like a total loser....got my brand new 2012 CBR250R with ABS and just went for my first ride. After 3.1 miles (about 10 minutes of riding), I was not able to get the bike going in first gear, it kept stalling. Is it possible I overheated the clutch?

I pulled over and could not even get the bike to go into neutral...nothing, i believe it is stuck in first gear. I have been riding for many years but am at a total loss to figure out what happened. The bike was running great for those brief 3.1 miles...and it was shifting just fine. It was a long walk home with the bike off, clutch engaged and rolling it back home. Talk about eating some humble pie! My old nighthawk was a tank....hoping this isn't a big problem with my brand new bike. The clutch is VERY sensitive and first gear is a lot tougher to get going in than the nighthawk...Thx for any suggestions/ideas...yeah, i know, this sounds crazy! :mad: matt

·
Registered
501 Posts
Seriously? First you should take it to the dealer, with 3.1 miles on it, they will have the correct answer for you.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
+1 on taking it to the dealer or having them pick it up. I'm reasonable certain it's a correctable problem. I am absolutely certain that the dealer should fix it immediately.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Wait!!! I live really close to my dealer...AND my first name is Matt.... Holy S*it! My bike wont shift!

·
Registered
167 Posts
some bikes here(india) experienced shifting lever bent problem,due to hard shift at the initial phase-100km

be gentle with your bike during the initial phase.take it to the dealer,dont do any work yourself,they will replace almost every part,if the bike has done only 3.1miles,and

also go with your test rider as pillion,if they are offering a new bike.atleast you can see if there are any stall issues,doing this.
Here test ride person goes around 10km to ensure bike is allright

·
Registered
167 Posts
one more tip.
Hope this is the problem.

fine tune the clutch,from lever side.in your case,tighten the clutch a little.
The guys who did initial check may have forgotten to lock the secure nut,and this may have caused sudden problem.

1.on lever side,just after clutch lever,(on handle side,not near engine)there are 2 nuts
2.loosen bigger nut(secure nut)by anticlockwise turning.
3.turn smaller nut by hand,anticlockwise till you feel a little tight clutch.
4.secure nut must be turned clockwise to
the end,and this ensures,no movement of small nut.
5.check staring the bike.
6.must not overturn small nut.frequent check,and selecting right setting will be the best

I have given it in detail to help him.others dont feel me like a fool

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
one more tip.
Hope this is the problem.

fine tune the clutch,from lever side.in your case,tighten the clutch a little.
The guys who did initial check may have forgotten to lock the secure nut,and this may have caused sudden problem.

1.on lever side,just after clutch lever,(on handle side,not near engine)there are 2 nuts
2.loosen bigger nut(secure nut)by anticlockwise turning.
3.turn smaller nut by hand,anticlockwise till you feel a little tight clutch.
4.secure nut must be turned clockwise to
the end,and this ensures,no movement of small nut.
5.check staring the bike.
6.must not overturn small nut.frequent check,and selecting right setting will be the best

I have given it in detail to help him.others dont feel me like a fool
Sorry, but this ^ is not the correct adjustment for the clutch lever... Honda specifies 10 -20 mm of free play between the lever and the perch. This ensures that the clutch is fully engaged when the lever is released. Without lever free play, the clutch will almost certainly slip during operation, and lead to premature wear of the friction plates. For those who have an extended warranty, clutch friction plates are considered a normal wear item, and short of catastrophic failure, are generally not covered under extended warranties.

Matt, as others have said in the previous posts, your bike needs to go back to the dealership... something may have failed in the transmission. Use that factory warranty that came with your bike.

Keep us posted as to what they find as the cause.

Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am a tech at an outboard dealer and Mitch is right-Don't put oil in it. The dealer will be more likely to find the issue the first time and from my own experience the factory looks down on customers who get caught in a lie. The tech will know it was a lack of oil issue from the discoloration on the internal parts and the chunks of metal that will be left behind from the lack of lubrication. It funny how many popped gearcases I see that are full to the brim with new oil...always makes me chuckle. But seriously the RIGHT thing for you to do is to contact your dealer and possibly a honda dealer representitive if you are not able to get satisfaction from your selling dealer. Thats really the end of story...it's under warranty and you should not have to adjust/fix anything until the first service.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I too have worked many years in the motorcycle industry, at both the dealership and factory level...
I'd be surprised if the oil volume was that low to cause this... it would have to be very low, to no oil. That said, if it was critically low, the dealer should accept responsibility for failing to notice and correct the oil level. Honda ships motorcycles with all fluids at the correct levels, so responsibility falls back to the factory as well.

I agree with the other's... With only 3 miles on the bike, I would not add any oil if it is low. By rights, this failure should have happened when the service tech test rode the bike. He would have also signed off on a pre-delivery form, which is an itemized check list. Not to assume anything here, but if the dealer didn't test ride the bike for 4-5 miles as part of the pre-delivery service... then they really dropped the ball, IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thx everyone for the replies (there are definitely some funny people on this forum). Hopefully this reply helps other riders, my lesson learned: DONT SHIFT TOO EARLY! My bike was "stuck" in 3rd gear, that's why it wouldn't "go". I got it locked in 3rd gear because I had been shifting too early. A buddy who has been riding for 25+ years came over to my place, got on it, took it for a ride and got it out of gear for me by getting it up to 30mph and then shifting the bike. I used to ride an old nighthawk that you shifted on pretty early...but you can't do that with the 2012 cbr's. They really run better at higher RPM's than a nighthwawk. Lesson learned :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts