Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am 5 ft 11in tall and weight about 260 lbs. I am looking to use this bike to get me to and from work witch is 35mile one way almost all freeway speeds. I am just wondering if this would be a good bike for me or would i need something a little larger? I sat on at the dealer and it felt ok. I am worried that I would be putting to much strain on the engine. it was also be nice to have power left over so on the weekends i can take the miss to a movie or where ever. Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm 5'10" 255lbs and think the bike is great. Not a problem getting to 70mph.

I another thread folks were talking about doing 60 mph and where the rpms were. I'm right there with them. No additional strain on the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cool, Do you know if the bike comes with helmet lock under the seat? I work at a school and would hate for a kid to take my helmet. Also is the abs worth the extra $500 that they are asking for? How does it handle in the wind?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Cool, Do you know if the bike comes with helmet lock under the seat? I work at a school and would hate for a kid to take my helmet. Also is the abs worth the extra $500 that they are asking for? How does it handle in the wind?
I doubt it but ask your dealer.

ABS is based on your preference.

I am a campus officer, that works with students but I bring my helmet into my office.

·
Registered
133 Posts
the bike comes with a plastic coated wire loop you can connect it to the d ring or just loop it through the visor aperture. it then hooks under the seat. it CAN be a bit of a pain to use.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the ABS model for the 2012. I can't speak to the braking of the non-ABS, as I haven't ridden it, but people seem pleased with the standard brakes. I'm in the Puget Sound area, wet roads are not unusual here! and the few times I've gotten caught with someone pulling in front of me, or a light going "prematurely red" the ABS has been outstanding. Short stopping distance and straight as an arrow. Anticipation and preparedness will always be your best braking accessories, but when you get caught in a situation the ABS is nice to have.

Helmet lock? I went to Target and picked up an inexpensive Bell short-length cable bike lock. It easily stows under the seat and it runs down into the bike and up through a full-face helmet in seconds. Easier than the cable supplied by Honda and a heckuva lot more secure. Securing the helmet is one thing. Keeping people from leaving trash, ice cream cones, dog droppings, etc., in your open helmet is a whole 'nuther matter, so you do need to be mindful of the surroundings.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 250 and it gets me along very nice at 60-70mph without struggling. I also have a 35 mile commute and one of the main reasons I got the bike is to save gas on that long commute. And yes mine came with the rubber covered cable lock for the helmet. It was in the tool bag under rear seat. It loops through the D ring on the helmet strap and then attaches to a metal tab under the seat and then you lock the seat back down on it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
wolfeman

I am 5 ft 11in tall and weight about 260 lbs.
im 5.6 and 154 lbs so a smaller dude but bigger guys than you say they are comfy. and im pretty sure that the engine would be more than happy with you.

I am looking to use this bike to get me to and from work witch is 35mile one way almost all freeway speeds. I am just wondering if this would be a good bike for me or would i need something a little larger?

The bike can get you to work in about 30 mins but you wont be the fasted thing on the road. in the UK you would be in the middle lane on the motorway because the fast lane is 90+ and this bike cant hold that speed. 70/75mph is happy all day. bike needs refil after 150+miles so every two day you fill up but only stick in ~9 litres for your 150miles driving so very cheap. good weather protection on this bike and not too bad vibrations either.

I sat on at the dealer and it felt ok. I am worried that I would be putting to much strain on the engine. it was also be nice to have power left over so on the weekends i can take the miss to a movie or where ever. Thanks.
not much in the way of power left tbh If the Mrs is the same size as you i think the bike would struggle. i have limited experience of pillions on this bike (a fat bird and an average bird) so i'm sure someone else can offer better feedback on pillion use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the replies, I am going to get my MFS course this weekend and then go and ask the dealer for a test ride.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Im on the highway every day 75-80mph is about 8000rpm from what I remember. If you are aggressive the speeds should be fine but you can split lanes only up to 70mph. If traffic is faster than that you simply cant get in and out fast enough to split safely, if there ever was such a thing in the first place. Overall, highway is fine, bike feels solid.

If you want to take your girl around, reconsider. This bike cannot haul two people very well. If this is your first bike, well, you shouldnt be hauling others around with you to begin with.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
6'1 240. Love the bike. You won't be straining the engine. Freeway speeds are not really a problem. No idea about riding with a passenger since my wife has her own bike and has been riding longer than I have. I suppose I would have opted for a slightly larger bike if I was planning on 2 up riding.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It can haul people fine. Their comfort level may be somewhat lacking, but most people I know enjoy the ride regardless.

You should focus on learning first though.

75MPH is around 8000RPM. It can do that and more for hours on end, trust me I know.:)(13 hours of it lol).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts