Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How should you break in a new motorcycle? 1st 600 miles, 2nd 600 to 1500 miles and 1500 to 3000 miles?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Forget the 'stay below a certain RPM' nonsense for a start.

Don't overheat the engine at the start. Let the engine get to riding temp and ride for 20 minutes with lots of engine braking and high RPMs, don't lug it or baby it. Stop and let it cool down.

Repeat.

This should be the first 100-150km.

Change oil and oil filter.

Get back onto it and nail it for a few hundred km.

Keep the RPMs varied at this stage and don't sit on one RPM for extended periods, ie. highway riding.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The owner’s manual says that during the first 300 miles:
- Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration
- Avoid hard braking
- Ride conservatively
I’ve had more specific recommendations (such as rpm limits) with previous motorcycles I’ve owned. Therefore, in addition to the above, I’ve chosen to do the following with my CBR250R which I’ve owned for less than a week.
Stay below 5500 rpm for the first 100 miles
Stay below 6000 rpm for the next 200 miles
The rpm limits above are arbitrary and just based upon the 10,500 rpm red line, my gut feel for what the limits should be, and break-in guidance I've had with previous motorcycles.

Once I have 300 miles on her, I plan to finally enjoy full throttle and rpms well into the power band. I know there’s a “ride it hard” break-in camp, but I’ve always had good results with a gradual break-in and that appears to be what Honda suggests with their vague guidance.

Just my 2 cents which is influenced by my previous motorcycle experience which includes 6 Hondas, a Yamaha, and a Kawasaki.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I should have also mentioned two things. First, the type of break-in I've chosen for my bike isn't appropriate for a lot of roads as speed at 5500 rpm is only about 50mph. Second, it's advisable to assume that the tires on a new bike are slick until scuffed up on the road. I found that out on a CBR954RR I used to own. After having a new set of tires put on and after being warned that they'd be slick, I set out on the highway. Even though I took off at what I thought would be a rate of acceleration at which the tires wouldn't break loose, the rear tire did. I quickly backed off the throttle and didn't go down. Before leaving the parking lot with my new CBR250R, the dealer warned me the new tires would be slick. I didn't notice them being slick, but I avoided aggressive cornering just in case. I now have 107 miles on the bike which I figure is more than enough to scuff up at least the centers of the tires. Now, to work on gradually narrowing those "chicken strips".

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Havnt we played this song a billion times before?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
^^ enjoy.

I found the IRC were okay on the twisties when really warmed up. Better than I expected.

The change to Pirelli though after 18,000km was like black and white.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Throw it off a cliff.. that should break it.

Or just read the owners manual.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I believe Honda is backing off the baby-it philosophy... I agree with Redline, above.

No mention of RPMs, or anything else... Not lugging it is common sense.
Other than that, I ran it through every pace I could think of during its break-in, except red-lining it... It's behaving fabulously...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Take the common sense approach: ride carefully, it's a new bike to you with new tires and new brakes and new everything else.

1.) Don't lug it down

2.) Vary your rpm a bit (I had a hard time with this because I was freeway riding)

3.) Don't redline it

4.) Completely warm up the engine before you ride, until it's broken in.

It's all in the manual. Basically, just ride it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't give it more than 90% throttle for the first few hundred miles. Or go WOT once in a while, it probably doesn't matter, it's a Honda! :D

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Jeeezuz, people will be frothing. Half the lads on here thinks it's gonna melt if you take it past 6000rpm.

One idiot who was spouting off about being a total expert on everything engineered was telling people not to past 4000rpm for the first 500km. He was a Indian lad on one of the other forums. Needless to say many of the Indians on that forum had messed up bikes pretty **** soon. Think his top speed topped out at 138kph indicated once he decided to open her up.

He even had (and still has) a few fanboys on this forum. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts