Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
You should follow with "she also likes the bike called Ninja as well"
u made my day sir :D

I had to google the term "lemon" in this case. But I ride (actually am learning to ride smoothly) my cbr and because I use it to travel at 80km/h max (I think) so the seat position of the cbr is better than the ninja (more comfortable for cruising). I don't have a chance to ride a ninja but I think its aggressive look is a big plus compare to the "good guy" cbr :D

What do you mean by "off road"?

I really can't imagine anyone thinking that a CBR is suited to off road use. I have several Honda XR's, Dual Sport and Off Road models. Maybe your definition of off road is different than what we here in the US think of as an off road motorcycle? I have to ride 0.2 of a mile on gravel road from my house to get to the paved road, which I navigate at about 10 mph on the CBR. Any faster than that would increase the possibility of dropping the bike.
In defence of Aargee.....

Yes, you would be right in guessing that he uses language slightly differently to you in the States. People do that in different parts of the world, and for some English is a second language.... and they often have a different point of view.

By off road I would pick that he means off the highway or main road. Having seen some of his photos, he could well mean, off sealed roads.

The Indian assembled CBR250R has a lower state of tune than the Thai version, so more sporting or motor-sport oriented types in India could well be drawn more to the Ninja.

If anybody has the right to call the CBR250R a lemon, it could well be Aargee. As I recall he had a serious problem with the engine of his early on, which Honda sorted under warranty. He then went on to do this trip:

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-c...ourteen-days-hands-solo-ride-north-india.html

You won't find many pictures of motorcycles in his report, and none of his own. He seems to see his bike as a means doing things rather than focusing on the machine (which is just a soulless heap of metal and plastic, from my point of view at least).

Good grief, 10 mph on your little bit of gravel. If I went that slow on the miles of gravel road that I have sometimes traveled, on various sized road bikes, I would have spent the best part of half a day (or more) just getting to work.

Some of you flash guys in the States seem to like to brag about all the vehicles you have for different purpose, or sometimes no real purpose at all. You like to show off you new hardware and think everyone should respect you for it. Bear in mind that there are others out in the big wide world, who may have only one vehicle, and it has to serve multiple functions...... an artifact to show of how much money, or credit, they have access to may not be one.

Some of us here have one vehicle too.;)

I get what you mean though and I know a lot of people who do just have lots of flashy vehicles to brag about them.

But they're missing out on the adventure. The bike is nice and all, but getting out there and exploring, seeing, and experiencing new things....now that's what it's about.:D

Care to explain the defects found in India pls?
Off the top of my head I recall seeing complaints about lower quality parts and/or manufacturing for the earlier models made in India and I seem to recall reading something about Honda stepping it up over there after many complaints. The most severe reports (in my opinion) were voiced by a forum member either here or on the .org forum with some serious rust issues.

Good grief, 10 mph on your little bit of gravel. If I went that slow on the miles of gravel road that I have sometimes traveled, on various sized road bikes, I would have spent the best part of half a day (or more) just getting to work.

Some of you flash guys in the States seem to like to brag about all the vehicles you have for different purpose, or sometimes no real purpose at all. You like to show off you new hardware and think everyone should respect you for it. Bear in mind that there are others out in the big wide world, who may have only one vehicle, and it has to serve multiple functions.
Not bragging Michael, just seeking clarification of the use of the term "Off Road".
As to having more than one bike, I can tell you that all my bikes were acquired through hard work. No "silver spoon" here. My CBR was the first new bike that I've purchased in the past twenty years. With the exception of my '94 XR650L, which I bought new after a year of saving up the money to do so (just as I did with my CBR), my other XR's were bought as used, neglected bikes. I fixed them up, maintain, and ride them all. Motorcycles are my passion, as they have been for over 40 years. I understand that you look at them strictly as a means to get for here to there. To each there own. For you to judge how I spend my discretionary time & money is just a little bit presumptuous on your part, don't you think?

As to my "10 mph on a little bit of gravel road"... it's only two tenths of a mile... good grief man, I'm in no big freaking hurry to get to the paved road. If I had endless miles of gravel road to navigate, I'd choose a more appropriate bike for that kind of riding, like an XR650L, for example. Gee, Michael, do you think that might be why Honda makes bikes like the XRL's and CRFL's, because they are more appropriate to certain types of riding and road conditions?

If I was limited to one "Do it all" bike, it wouldn't be a street bike. The XR650L is a do it all bike, and for quite a few years it was my only bike. With 18,000 miles now on the odometer, through 19 years of hard riding, the vast majority of those miles in true "Off Road" conditions.

Off the top of my head I recall seeing complaints about lower quality parts and/or manufacturing for the earlier models made in India and I seem to recall reading something about Honda stepping it up over there after many complaints. The most severe reports (in my opinion) were voiced by a forum member either here or on the .org forum with some serious rust issues.
As far as I know there haven't been issues here in Colombia with the Indian CBRs, it is good to mention that there are not many around (here we are full of yamaha fz16 and bajaj pulsars, Indians as well :D) but the few owners are pretty happy, just 2.5 months being sold here so let's wait how things go, anyway the local market is very difficult for 250cc segment, most people buy smaller displacement machines and the ones that have more money go for 600cc and up.

The ETA for the tricolor is October, I can't wait :D, btw we only get the ABS version here.

Cheers.

Go on any motorcycle specific forum, and you will be scared to death with all the "problems" that that bike has. In reality, this is a good, down to earth, very understressed bike that should go on forever, much like most Honda's ever built. People that have problems come on forums like this one to try and find solutions. You'll note that this forum only has a small amount of people as members compared to the amount of people that have bought this bike. Most of them are newbies that have never owned a bike before and don't know how motorcycles work. Most on here are very happy with it, a small minority have had a few problems. Most of them have come on here asking for advice instead of going to Honda to get it fixed under warranty. I'm very happy with mine, it's a great little bike, that will do everything you ask of it, and then some. ;)

The other thing to keep in mind about what is viewed in forums is that the Ninjette forum has an admin who is a dyed in the wool ninjette fan and deletes and bans posters that dare to criticize the Ninja250. This CBR250R forum is wide open so whenever an owner wants to get even with a dealer that has given them bad service they come on here and start dragging up year old threads all over the place so they can punish Honda by whining.

See_Bee_Are,

Welcome aboard.
Yes, your question is appropriate and posted just fine.
My answer would be no, the bike is not a PoS. From what I can tell from putting just 120 miles on ours and reading a lot of threads on this forum, it's a great bike with great features. It has one cylinder, so you have to expect it to be a little buzzy, and the "tool kit" is imaginary (I only wish they'd have included the shock pre-load spanner, but they're inexpensive, so no big deal; most bikes' tool kits suck these days, from what I can tell). Beyond that, fit and finish are amazing, maintenance will be a breeze for the most part, it gets insane fuel mileage, and it has plenty of pep to provide you with plenty of enjoyment. I recommend it highly. Of course, I have zero experience with the Ninja, or maybe I would recommend that, too, but I rather like the fit, finish, reputation, looks, economy, and features of the Honda. If we could, we'd buy a second one.
Spend some time with both bikes, take them for a good test ride, and pick the bike that you like better. I'm sure either will be just fine.
Best of luck with your decision and future riding enjoyment!

Some of us here have one vehicle too.;)

I get what you mean though and I know a lot of people who do just have lots of flashy vehicles to brag about them.

But they're missing out on the adventure. The bike is nice and all, but getting out there and exploring, seeing, and experiencing new things....now that's what it's about.:D
Well, I did say some for a reason! I like your posts; you do seem more aware of what is going on outside your Stateside backyard than some (that word again). I think you have an India connection..... I've yet to go there, but maybe some day. Aargee's trip was an inspiration; not one that could have been done easily on a lemon.

Not bragging Michael, just seeking clarification of the use of the term "Off Road".
As to having more than one bike, I can tell you that all my bikes were acquired through hard work. No "silver spoon" here. My CBR was the first new bike that I've purchased in the past twenty years. With the exception of my '94 XR650L, which I bought new after a year of saving up the money to do so (just as I did with my CBR), my other XR's were bought as used, neglected bikes. I fixed them up, maintain, and ride them all. Motorcycles are my passion, as they have been for over 40 years. I understand that you look at them strictly as a means to get for here to there. To each there own. For you to judge how I spend my discretionary time & money is just a little bit presumptuous on your part, don't you think?

As to my "10 mph on a little bit of gravel road"... it's only two tenths of a mile... good grief man, I'm in no big freaking hurry to get to the paved road. If I had endless miles of gravel road to navigate, I'd choose a more appropriate bike for that kind of riding, like an XR650L, for example. Gee, Michael, do you think that might be why Honda makes bikes like the XRL's and CRFL's, because they are more appropriate to certain types of riding and road conditions?

If I was limited to one "Do it all" bike, it wouldn't be a street bike. The XR650L is a do it all bike, and for quite a few years it was my only bike. With 18,000 miles now on the odometer, through 19 years of hard riding, the vast majority of those miles in true "Off Road" conditions.
Did I make a judgment on how you spend your hard earned money?

Perhaps you and a few others (dare I say it, most of them your compatriots) should be more aware that others may work just as hard, or harder, for a lot less, so have fewer choices open to them personally..... or in the market.

I am aware that Honda produces various types of motorcycle, but not all markets have the range of choice that you are fortunate to have in yours in yours.

There are at least ten motorcycle dealers within a 5 km radius of where I sit right now. 80% of them are Honda. They have maybe a dozen 250cc motorcycles available between them, and none larger.

They each have several dozen practical 110 and 125 scooters and under-bone machines, which make up the bulk of the more than 1.5 million motorcycles sold in Thailand each year.

I am happy to hear that the XL650L is not a lemon, and respect your opinion that it is (to you) a do it all bike. However it isn't, and never was, available world wide.

This forum, on the other hand, is probably available in just about all countries except North Korea. They make motorcycles there too, but not Hondas.

No one brand of motorcycle is a lemon. But all brands will have a lemon in the bunch. Some manufactures will have more due to poor quality issues. Its a fact of the manufacturing process. My CBR isnt one of the lemons, nor has any of the other motorcycles ive owned.

Some of you flash guys in the States seem to like to brag about all the vehicles you have for different purpose, or sometimes no real purpose at all. You like to show off you new hardware and think everyone should respect you for it. Bear in mind that there are others out in the big wide world, who may have only one vehicle, and it has to serve multiple functions...... an artifact to show of how much money, or credit, they have access to may not be one.
You may, or may not be aware of this, but I have not posted a single photo of any of my so called "flash bikes or hardware" here. I have no need to. No "amazing" avatar. No pic's of my latest and greatest helmet, jacket, etc. In fact if you go to the thread "Show us your helmet", you'll see a tongue in cheek post there. You might appreciate it.

To be fair, I know that I am very fortunate to have had the choices, and the opportunities available to me living here in the US. The vast majority take it for granted, or even worse, feel entitled.

Where I go off road riding, there are no gawkers, no one to tell you how "amazing" & "cool" your bike looks, how "awesome" your helmet is... none of that b*ll sh*t. When I ride off road, I go out into the middle of nowhere, just up the road from the end of the world, to get away from some of the shallow BS culture that seems to be all the rage here in the US. All I am saying is don't paint everyone with too broad a brush. I'm one of those guys who could give a rats a** about all the "Flash". And for what it is worth, I am very aware of what goes on in the rest of the world, every day.

Well, I did say some for a reason! I like your posts; you do seem more aware of what is going on outside your Stateside backyard than some (that word again). I think you have an India connection..... I've yet to go there, but maybe some day. Aargee's trip was an inspiration; not one that could have been done easily on a lemon.
Hah! Just wanted to make sure I represented those some.:)

Michael, I actually enjoy your posts as well. You say it how it is. I feel like some here just apply their own "ethnocentric" view to everything you say and to them it becomes offensive. (E.g. the sandals. Hell, I learned how to ride a bike in sandals in India. There wasn't any gear available for me to wear. Everyone wears sandals and street clothes. I guess for people here that is a weird thing to imagine. I wear gear here, but it is easily accessible to me.)

Of course, most people haven't been outside the US or maybe the next state over. I've even seen posters here say that they're scared to leave the country because they'll be thrown in jail or some other BS. There are a lot of people that I've met that need to open their mind a bit to the world around them.

You're right about my Indian connection. I've made references in a few threads but I haven't explained it. My parents are immigrants and I've been on quite a few trips all over India, along with living there for two summers. I'm pretty "Americany" but I have had the opportunity to visit many different places around the world and I am very grateful for that. I was "cultured" with a motorcycling ideology common India and Asia as you know. Essentially that my bike is a mode of transport and not a toy. It gets me where I need to go. Of course I enjoy it as well, but I don't think of my bike as a device to be "cool".

the ninja was going to cost me 5700$ Plus registration, while the cbr cost me 4350$ ( including taxes and registration and everything) . ONE BIG REASON I GOT CBR.

second , i realized the carb vs fuel injection thing and felt cbr was better anyways.

third yet really important was the feel. I sat on both for 10 seconds. ninja felt cramped cbr was heaven ( literally) .

I LOVE my CBR 250.

the ninja was going to cost me 5700$ Plus registration, while the cbr cost me 4350$ ( including taxes and registration and everything) . ONE BIG REASON I GOT CBR.

second , i realized the carb vs fuel injection thing and felt cbr was better anyways.

third yet really important was the feel. I sat on both for 10 seconds. ninja felt cramped cbr was heaven ( literally) .

I LOVE my CBR 250.
you are lucky you didn't get raped, that ninja is an inferior 80's throwback bike underneath. I can't believe KAw is so arrogant and continues to get away with raping newbs for their loot.

EX250 Ninja track orientated?

seriously?
The Ninja does have a higher top end than the CBR, so it is more "track oriented" than the CBR. Not that such is saying much.

To the OP: There has been one cause for concern that I've seen:

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...r250s-engine-turns-off-when-downshifting.html This thread here.

I've had a new gen Ninja 250, and it is a very planted bike, and if you can deal with carbs and weren't planning on buying ABS, an excellent alternative to the CBR.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.