Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

2012 Honda CBR Honest question, is this bike a lemon?

8K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
While I've had my m2 for 5 year, I'm buying my first bike now. I'm looking at the 2012 Honda CBR 250r non-ABS and a Kawasaki 250r.

I know the kawi is tried and true with a bullet proof reputation for reliability and resale value, but how does the honda compare?

I hope I "posted" my question correctly in this forum, thee seem to be a lot of rules regarding forum etiquette.

#7 ·
except from those with the Indian made bike so as long as you're not in India
Care to explain the defects found in India pls?

but how does the honda compare?
We get both FI Kawi as well as FI CBR, so it doesn't matter much; we'd run several times on both Ninja & CBR; each time they tank up Kawi, we also refuel CBR, just that Ninja gobbles about 3-4 gallons, while CBR barely about 3 gallons.

Unless there's a long straights, CBR keeps up with Ninja 250R

Upto 63 mph, CBR takes the lead & after that Ninja takes the lead

If you ride on twisties, CBR is fun, a lot of fun; on bad (or offroading) nothing comes closer to the comfort of CBR.

CBR is more of city, offroad & touring motorcycle than the track oriented Ninja 250R.

Oh!!! BTW, what I shared above is my 14000 miles of experience in less than a year

#3 ·
If you want FI, ABS, and low end torque the cbr is the way to go. Honda also has a tried and true reputation. I've rode both the bikes and prefer the honda. Last bike show compaired craft-manship with the pastics and Honda won out. At the end of the day will be your choice as far as specs, comfort and looks.

#6 ·
Not sure why you use the term lemon with a bike you don't own...sounds like you already decided about it in your mind. That being said Fuel Injection/MPG was what beat the ninja out for me. Carbs aren't some evil thing BUT waiting to take off/feathering the choke in the morning wasn't fun on any carb bike I've owned. Combined with best in class fuel economy and it was a sure thing for me. Granted that sometimes I miss my bigger bikes...only to smile when I fill up. Hell I have only managed an average of about 65 mpg (I refuse to "tuck" at highway speeds mpg be damned-actually I did try to tuck and found @6'1" it was better for me to sit on the passenger seat :) )

#8 ·
I actually love the CBR more than the ninja. I just couldn't think of a better term then lemon to describe what I was asking. I guess I could have said:

Does the CBR has reliability issues?
or
Is the CBR a POS?
or
Does anyone regret their purchase over a ninja 250r?

Regardless, I think the CBR looks better and I enjoy the new technology it has.

#9 · (Edited)
Stay away from the Ninja 250r if you are smart. When you sit on it in the showroom it feels like a pig to be a 250 bike. You will feel instantly comfortable on the cbr250r. I had the same dilemma b4 I pulled the trigger on a bike UNTIL I SAT ON BOTH BIKES.

The ninjette is a 90's bike in pretty packaging with an old technology carb and playskool analog gauges. You will not get the extra low end torque like you will get on the cbr250r, so 0-40 will feel quicker on the cbr250r. The only real benefit to the ninja 250r is the little bit extra top end speed you get which isn't really worth it. Really, you will want the low end torque, especially for commuting.

You will really appreciate the fuel injection on the cbr250r on a really cold morning. I know what a pita a carb is b/c I had a scooter with a carb and I hated it. Also, with the honda you get a fuel gauge, clock and a 100% accurate digital Speedometer (radar and GPS verified), which is almost unheard of in the motorcycle world, most speedometers are off by at least 10%.

#10 ·
Also, with the honda you get a fuel gauge, clock and a 100% accurate digital Speedometer (radar and GPS verified), which is almost unheard of in the motorcycle world, most speedometers are off by at least 10%.
My CBR is about 10% off. As are a lot, from what I've been reading over the last few months.

#12 ·
That typical speedometer error is annoying when you have more than one bike. Oh yeah is this one 11% off or is this one correct? I always bought speedoDRD's to correct them... Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, whatever. Weirdly, I have 3 hondas now, 2-2011's and a 2012 and they all came correct (within a mile/hour).

#13 ·
Why do you ask if its a 'Lemon' 'POS' ?

test ride them both, see which one fits you.
they are both good bikes, big sellers, and only as good as their owners.

#40 ·
The Ninja does have a higher top end than the CBR, so it is more "track oriented" than the CBR. Not that such is saying much.

To the OP: There has been one cause for concern that I've seen:

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...r250s-engine-turns-off-when-downshifting.html This thread here.

I've had a new gen Ninja 250, and it is a very planted bike, and if you can deal with carbs and weren't planning on buying ABS, an excellent alternative to the CBR.

#20 ·
I have the CBR, my wife has a Ninja. She went with the Ninja cause she's Asian and wanted to say she rides a ninja, don't ask... lol - Anyway I prefer the CBR, and my wife does too, though she hates to admit it... Don't get me wrong, the Ninja is a great bike, but the the lack of fuel injection was my biggest complaint.

#24 · (Edited)
Some of us here have one vehicle too.;)

I get what you mean though and I know a lot of people who do just have lots of flashy vehicles to brag about them.

But they're missing out on the adventure. The bike is nice and all, but getting out there and exploring, seeing, and experiencing new things....now that's what it's about.:D

#32 · (Edited)
Well, I did say some for a reason! I like your posts; you do seem more aware of what is going on outside your Stateside backyard than some (that word again). I think you have an India connection..... I've yet to go there, but maybe some day. Aargee's trip was an inspiration; not one that could have been done easily on a lemon.

Not bragging Michael, just seeking clarification of the use of the term "Off Road".
As to having more than one bike, I can tell you that all my bikes were acquired through hard work. No "silver spoon" here. My CBR was the first new bike that I've purchased in the past twenty years. With the exception of my '94 XR650L, which I bought new after a year of saving up the money to do so (just as I did with my CBR), my other XR's were bought as used, neglected bikes. I fixed them up, maintain, and ride them all. Motorcycles are my passion, as they have been for over 40 years. I understand that you look at them strictly as a means to get for here to there. To each there own. For you to judge how I spend my discretionary time & money is just a little bit presumptuous on your part, don't you think?

As to my "10 mph on a little bit of gravel road"... it's only two tenths of a mile... good grief man, I'm in no big freaking hurry to get to the paved road. If I had endless miles of gravel road to navigate, I'd choose a more appropriate bike for that kind of riding, like an XR650L, for example. Gee, Michael, do you think that might be why Honda makes bikes like the XRL's and CRFL's, because they are more appropriate to certain types of riding and road conditions?

If I was limited to one "Do it all" bike, it wouldn't be a street bike. The XR650L is a do it all bike, and for quite a few years it was my only bike. With 18,000 miles now on the odometer, through 19 years of hard riding, the vast majority of those miles in true "Off Road" conditions.
Did I make a judgment on how you spend your hard earned money?

Perhaps you and a few others (dare I say it, most of them your compatriots) should be more aware that others may work just as hard, or harder, for a lot less, so have fewer choices open to them personally..... or in the market.

I am aware that Honda produces various types of motorcycle, but not all markets have the range of choice that you are fortunate to have in yours in yours.

There are at least ten motorcycle dealers within a 5 km radius of where I sit right now. 80% of them are Honda. They have maybe a dozen 250cc motorcycles available between them, and none larger.

They each have several dozen practical 110 and 125 scooters and under-bone machines, which make up the bulk of the more than 1.5 million motorcycles sold in Thailand each year.

I am happy to hear that the XL650L is not a lemon, and respect your opinion that it is (to you) a do it all bike. However it isn't, and never was, available world wide.

This forum, on the other hand, is probably available in just about all countries except North Korea. They make motorcycles there too, but not Hondas.

#29 ·
Go on any motorcycle specific forum, and you will be scared to death with all the "problems" that that bike has. In reality, this is a good, down to earth, very understressed bike that should go on forever, much like most Honda's ever built. People that have problems come on forums like this one to try and find solutions. You'll note that this forum only has a small amount of people as members compared to the amount of people that have bought this bike. Most of them are newbies that have never owned a bike before and don't know how motorcycles work. Most on here are very happy with it, a small minority have had a few problems. Most of them have come on here asking for advice instead of going to Honda to get it fixed under warranty. I'm very happy with mine, it's a great little bike, that will do everything you ask of it, and then some. ;)

#30 ·
The other thing to keep in mind about what is viewed in forums is that the Ninjette forum has an admin who is a dyed in the wool ninjette fan and deletes and bans posters that dare to criticize the Ninja250. This CBR250R forum is wide open so whenever an owner wants to get even with a dealer that has given them bad service they come on here and start dragging up year old threads all over the place so they can punish Honda by whining.

#31 ·
See_Bee_Are,

Welcome aboard.
Yes, your question is appropriate and posted just fine.
My answer would be no, the bike is not a PoS. From what I can tell from putting just 120 miles on ours and reading a lot of threads on this forum, it's a great bike with great features. It has one cylinder, so you have to expect it to be a little buzzy, and the "tool kit" is imaginary (I only wish they'd have included the shock pre-load spanner, but they're inexpensive, so no big deal; most bikes' tool kits suck these days, from what I can tell). Beyond that, fit and finish are amazing, maintenance will be a breeze for the most part, it gets insane fuel mileage, and it has plenty of pep to provide you with plenty of enjoyment. I recommend it highly. Of course, I have zero experience with the Ninja, or maybe I would recommend that, too, but I rather like the fit, finish, reputation, looks, economy, and features of the Honda. If we could, we'd buy a second one.
Spend some time with both bikes, take them for a good test ride, and pick the bike that you like better. I'm sure either will be just fine.
Best of luck with your decision and future riding enjoyment!

#33 ·
No one brand of motorcycle is a lemon. But all brands will have a lemon in the bunch. Some manufactures will have more due to poor quality issues. Its a fact of the manufacturing process. My CBR isnt one of the lemons, nor has any of the other motorcycles ive owned.

#36 ·
the ninja was going to cost me 5700$ Plus registration, while the cbr cost me 4350$ ( including taxes and registration and everything) . ONE BIG REASON I GOT CBR.

second , i realized the carb vs fuel injection thing and felt cbr was better anyways.

third yet really important was the feel. I sat on both for 10 seconds. ninja felt cramped cbr was heaven ( literally) .

I LOVE my CBR 250.

#37 ·
you are lucky you didn't get raped, that ninja is an inferior 80's throwback bike underneath. I can't believe KAw is so arrogant and continues to get away with raping newbs for their loot.

#42 ·
I did use the word some, Feliz.

I am happily multi-national; why do you suggest I have "country envy"?

I am even less envious of people who seem to have more money (or available credit) than brains, and feel they have to protect a heap of artifacts with their life.

Dare I say it, a lot of those seem to be a certain type of American, that even their compatriots have little time for..... but it can be fun to wind them up a bit! I do work and mix with a few Americans, who have ventured outside their backyard. Most of them are far more humble and altruistic souls. I had a beer with one last night.

We all have hobbies, and here we all have an interest in motorcycling, albeit different aspects for different reasons. I don't see what you have to be all defensive about. Enjoy your tinkering, as I also do on occasions.

#43 · (Edited)
I did use the word some, Feliz.

I am happily multi-national; why do you suggest I have "country envy"?

I am even less envious of people who seem to have more money (or available credit) than brains, and feel they have to protect a heap of artifacts with their life.

Dare I say it, a lot of those seem to be a certain type of American, that even their compatriots have little time for..... but it can be fun to wind them up a bit! I do work and mix with a few Americans, who have ventured outside their backyard. Most of them are far more humble and altruistic souls. I had a beer with one last night.

We all have hobbies, and here we all have an interest in motorcycling, albeit different aspects for different reasons. I don't see what you have to be all defensive about. Enjoy your tinkering, as I also do on occasions.
You would find the type of people you're talking about in any country, stop slagging on Americans I find it offensive as I would if they were bashing other nationalities.....something I don't see. You aren't the only one who has travelleled.

With my vacations and business travel I've spent a few years of my life in the the US in total and I have always been treated well and have never met an American I haven't liked. I can't say that for every country I've visited. This is a motorcycle forum not somewhere to vent your political/national frustrations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.