Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

2012 Honda CBR250-Rusting Issues

12K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  KRA5H185 
#1 ·
Hi all !

I purchased my CBR250 C-ABS Triple Heron Variant on 5th May,2012.Got the first servicing done on 5th June,2012 with an odo reading of 492 Kms.Just 25 days and 200 kms of the first servicing I discovered that the entire length of the chain was rusted and the rear disc plated had developed some rust spots.Took the bike to the service wing of the dealer but to the disappointment I was refused the replacement of the faulty parts as directed by the superiors in the regional office.The dealer encouraged to escalate the matter which I did by personally calling up the Zonal office who said that these items are not covered under warranty but ssaid to wait for 3 days as a discussion is still on with his superiors for the final verdict.

The HMSI people are taking customers for granted by providing low quality materials and then creating a scene regarding warranty.The most important thing is that they lack basic courtesy on how to handle customer grievances.If the decision is not in my favor I am sure to sue them in consumer forum and also see that their callousness is well highlighted in the local media.

Any advice here would be most welcome

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Seriously what all you guys been drinking???? You don't read the posts and start blabbering.

What you said is right..chain maintenance is my responsibility,agreed.The owner manual says to lube the chain every 1000 kms or when you ride it hard and my bike has just made 690 Kms,there was PDI while delivery and the first free servicing was just 20 days/200 kms prior to this discovery.Clearly written in my manual is that for lubricating chain n all parts contact your dealer's service.I paid then extra 650 bucks for cleaning and lubricating the running parts during first FREE servicing,then also if I rant I am having a problem.I was having heavy work load and had not rode my bike for 6 days,its not that I was irresponsible storing my bike which was under a shade all covered up except for some exposure at rear end.It's just 3 days rains arrived in my state and am not living in any saline area.My area is perfectly alright coz I am having many vehicles and they are all in pristine condition.
I have a 2002 Yamaha Enticer, the chain was lubed 6 months ago and its been sitting right next to bike laughing to it's heart content to my plight and the sin of replacing her.Until unless abused a disc brake plate never
gets rust.

I dont want to be rude coz you people are trying to help out and are more experienced but please read carefully the post and give me sound advice coz Honda does not maintain the same quality in India as it does abroad.I am not the only one ,there are thousands of low quality issues and even the first batch of CBR250s delivered in India were recalled due to severe rusting issues.The customer service is **** and you wont believe that many service mechanic for the Honda CBR dont even a know what a torque wrench is.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Dont blame Honda for a neglected motorcycle, and with those miles on it its sad.
Take some pride in your machine man or it will kill you.

Seriously... do you know what an owners manual is?
I know exactly what an owner's manual is,but nowhere it is written that even after lubricating you chain twice within a span of 700kms under normal riding conditions you get rust for free.I have 3 motorcycles which are perfectly right except for this one which has serious quality issues.1 have 2 Yamahas and guess what they are enjoying their stay with me for the past 10 years.Please google my problem in Indian websites to see the double standards Honda is maintaining.

Within a week of delivery several of the nuts in the fairing were loosened and the seat was not locked properly till I did it myself.My visors all scratched up..to be replaced,there are cuts in the fairing stickers..promised to be mended...my ignition key hole does'nt lock or open sometimes.After paying 200 grand INR you get all these **** from Honda coz they say "I enjoy the quality".I am no cry baby.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
So you jumped on an internet forum with your first post saying you'd never lubed the chain in 25 days but you want to blame Honda lol.

:D
My dear it's the company who's creating the fuss,at the dealer end they completely support me as they have identified the low quality issue.This problem was solved once before me and Honda gave the replacement quietly as they guy was some big shot.

I am a member in many CBR forums just that I wanted different views from as many people as possible.If it's my mistake I am ready to accept.But after paying a hefty sum (200000 INR is a big amount most most Indian consumers)you don't expect things like this.I loved the bike thats why I bought it not to rant about it's quality here n there.

Discussion starter · #17 ·

You seen not even the nuts and bolts are spared,any ideas how to lubricate them regularly.Almost all the metallic parts at rear end are rusted.The company people told they are really concerned as this has happened for the first time to any of their bike.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
That's assuming there was lube on the chain leaving the dealer. Also, while the miles are low, the bike also sat... and sat... and sat.
The bike was idle only for 6 days not like eternity as you would describe.I mean during the servicing the chain was properly lubed and there was no rain for the first 3 days out of the 6 days mentioned.The bike was ridden during heavy rain within the first 500 Kms and there was no rust and after that it was re-lubed during the servicing.Until unless the chain is of inferior quality this wont happen.I have talked to many CBR owners who dont ride frequently and do rough use but there's no problem for them.I happen to be very unlucky.Even the down sides of my grab rails are rusted.Please don't support Honda for all this.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
A chain will start to rust in a day if given the right conditions. You are in temperate climate. The chain should be lubed every two fillups or 500-700 km and more if it gets wet. While the products in India may be inferior you know this so you should be proactive in preventing more damage. In short, lube the s**t of of it all the time.
Its this particular bike that has serious low quality standards in India and only Honda can manage this level of callousness.You buy a Bajaj. ..just one complain they'll run after you if you shoot a mail to the senior executives.In Yamaha they dont even allow that to happen, pity that theres no 250cc segment in Yamaha in India else who gives a **** to Honda compared to Yamaha.Honda fanboys take no offenece its just my opinion.(Not comparing engines of both camps they both r great in their own way)

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Discussion starter · #42 ·
the only other reason i can see for rust forming, other than leaving the bike out in the rain, is a high presence of acid in the area. do you work near a galvanizing plant or some sort of chemical facility? i know acid removes rust from metal but if certain metals are left out in the presence of acid they can rust also.
I live in a perfectly beautiful area with no hazardous elements around except for the rains which are hazardous to all uncared metals.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
^^ This.

Even dodgy Indian workmanship can be prevented with maintenance.
Its up to the owner.
You should live in India buddy for quite some time & by the next time you utter ..up to the owner you will bite your own tongue.The manufacturers will get so dependent on you so badly even you will have to paint your ride every month as it's your duty to maintain.That's why we have a standard maintaining organization and some times with these foreign companies the standards have twin head when foreign investment is very seducing.Pardon me but that's so very true from where I come from.

Honda was not able to sell bikes in India with their brand name and they had to tie up their name with Hero and with Indians having the reins ..they know the medicine for their type of flu and result..the brand's bike have the most resale value in the market and is the largest selling brand in the whole world.Honda alone with this attitude would have perished without a trace.:cool:

Discussion starter · #46 ·
I am really sorry folks..it's just that I am really depressed as the I haven't seen the bike for for a week (at the dealer's service wing) and dearly missing it.When things are not working out..it's kinda gets frustrating.
Thanking all members for their honest replies and no hard feelings if I was rude to anyone.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
You haven't been rude. {well, not very rude} The picture of the rear wheel and all of the other rusting bolts, etc., does make your point about the manufacturer's quality issues. There are enough cultural differences that I wouldn't begin to judge how best you can get this resolved.

Is there any chance that your bike was exposed to acid vapors during manufacturing or transport?
I have no idea regarding the manufacturing or transport conditions.

Good News! Got a call from Honda India and they have decided to replace the rusty chain and disc out of good-will
( I don't know what does that mean) but due to unavailability of some spares the replacement gonna take 7 -8 more days.Relief at last ...got my bike from the dealer and asked him to call me up when all the spares are available together to replace them under my supervision.The ride to my home was very emotional and electric.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.