Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

2012 Honda CBR250-Rusting Issues

12K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  KRA5H185 
#1 ·
Hi all !

I purchased my CBR250 C-ABS Triple Heron Variant on 5th May,2012.Got the first servicing done on 5th June,2012 with an odo reading of 492 Kms.Just 25 days and 200 kms of the first servicing I discovered that the entire length of the chain was rusted and the rear disc plated had developed some rust spots.Took the bike to the service wing of the dealer but to the disappointment I was refused the replacement of the faulty parts as directed by the superiors in the regional office.The dealer encouraged to escalate the matter which I did by personally calling up the Zonal office who said that these items are not covered under warranty but ssaid to wait for 3 days as a discussion is still on with his superiors for the final verdict.

The HMSI people are taking customers for granted by providing low quality materials and then creating a scene regarding warranty.The most important thing is that they lack basic courtesy on how to handle customer grievances.If the decision is not in my favor I am sure to sue them in consumer forum and also see that their callousness is well highlighted in the local media.

Any advice here would be most welcome

#2 ·
There is nothing faulty about those parts rusting except the owner's neglect of not riding and not maintaining the chain.

Surface rust happens on all brake rotors if they are let to wet, stored outside, and not ridden enough. This is why, if you park your car a while, the brakes "growl" the first time you apply them.

Surface rust happens on chains when the owner fails to maintain them properly. I suspect you've been letting it sit outside, or rode it in the wet, and did not lube the chain immediately afterwards to renew its protection from the elements.

Opinions needed on chain lube! - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

#4 ·
#5 ·
According to my manual, you should clean and lube your chain every 500 mi(805 km). Since I ride 70 mi(113 km) a day, I do mine every weekend. If I fail to do so, I start to see rust within a day or two and the chain starts to make more noise. I have not had to adjust the chain tension yet, so I know it is not wearing badly. We have not had much rain where I live and yet it will still rust within that time. The OEM chain may just be high maintance. I called to price a replacement and for a few more $ I can get a coated chain that would resist rusting longer. As for the brake disk, my bike doesn't sit still long enough to rust. I've had new rotors on a car rust in a couple of days before. I would say if the environment where you live is wet and/or dirty, you may have to service the chain more often. TX.

#8 ·
my 2011 with rust

Bought my one year old bike with 480 miles on it two months ago.

Very light coating of dusty smudge everywhere, not really noticeable until I cleaned it. Seller was unaware, it sat in storage since last October.

The chain was 100% dry, with some rust beginning to appear on most links. I sprayed it down with chain lube, so its no longer dry. Problem stopped.

I was not thinking that 500 miles had not arrived yet. Does the manual really say that? One should not ignore an obviously dry chain.

They appear to be shipping these with dry chains. The O-rings are a fine thing, but the outside should have been lubed at factory. Nice white waxy spray would have been a good thing at about USD $0.02 per machine at the factory. Or $1.00 at the dealer considering all costs.

My brakes look brand spanking new.

#9 ·
They appear to be shipping these with dry chains. The O-rings are a fine thing, but the outside should have been lubed at factory. Nice white waxy spray would have been a good thing at about USD $0.02 per machine at the factory. Or $1.00 at the dealer considering all costs.
It is the dealer's setup tech's responsibility to lube the chain as part of the setup process... but it is ultimately the owner/operator's responsibility to ensure the bike is maintained properly. Lubing the chain isn't one of those kinds of things that you can really avoid DIY-ing in order to keep it up.

#10 ·
Dont blame Honda for a neglected motorcycle, and with those miles on it its sad.
Take some pride in your machine man or it will kill you.

Seriously... do you know what an owners manual is?

#14 ·
I know exactly what an owner's manual is,but nowhere it is written that even after lubricating you chain twice within a span of 700kms under normal riding conditions you get rust for free.I have 3 motorcycles which are perfectly right except for this one which has serious quality issues.1 have 2 Yamahas and guess what they are enjoying their stay with me for the past 10 years.Please google my problem in Indian websites to see the double standards Honda is maintaining.

Within a week of delivery several of the nuts in the fairing were loosened and the seat was not locked properly till I did it myself.My visors all scratched up..to be replaced,there are cuts in the fairing stickers..promised to be mended...my ignition key hole does'nt lock or open sometimes.After paying 200 grand INR you get all these **** from Honda coz they say "I enjoy the quality".I am no cry baby.

#11 ·
Seriously what all you guys been drinking???? You don't read the posts and start blabbering.

What you said is right..chain maintenance is my responsibility,agreed.The owner manual says to lube the chain every 1000 kms or when you ride it hard and my bike has just made 690 Kms,there was PDI while delivery and the first free servicing was just 20 days/200 kms prior to this discovery.Clearly written in my manual is that for lubricating chain n all parts contact your dealer's service.I paid then extra 650 bucks for cleaning and lubricating the running parts during first FREE servicing,then also if I rant I am having a problem.I was having heavy work load and had not rode my bike for 6 days,its not that I was irresponsible storing my bike which was under a shade all covered up except for some exposure at rear end.It's just 3 days rains arrived in my state and am not living in any saline area.My area is perfectly alright coz I am having many vehicles and they are all in pristine condition.
I have a 2002 Yamaha Enticer, the chain was lubed 6 months ago and its been sitting right next to bike laughing to it's heart content to my plight and the sin of replacing her.Until unless abused a disc brake plate never
gets rust.

I dont want to be rude coz you people are trying to help out and are more experienced but please read carefully the post and give me sound advice coz Honda does not maintain the same quality in India as it does abroad.I am not the only one ,there are thousands of low quality issues and even the first batch of CBR250s delivered in India were recalled due to severe rusting issues.The customer service is **** and you wont believe that many service mechanic for the Honda CBR dont even a know what a torque wrench is.

#12 ·
it may have been helpful for you to put your location in so people know where you are from. there have been threads on here questioning the quality of the indian bikes, but obviously nobody knew that's where you were from with no location mentioned....

#13 ·
Hi all !

I purchased my CBR250 C-ABS Triple Heron Variant on 5th May,2012.Got the first servicing done on 5th June,2012 with an odo reading of 492 Kms.Just 25 days and 200 kms of the first servicing I discovered that the entire length of the chain was rusted ...BLAH BLAH ......

Any advice here would be most welcome
So you jumped on an internet forum with your first post saying you'd never lubed the chain in 25 days but you want to blame Honda lol.

:D

#15 ·
My dear it's the company who's creating the fuss,at the dealer end they completely support me as they have identified the low quality issue.This problem was solved once before me and Honda gave the replacement quietly as they guy was some big shot.

I am a member in many CBR forums just that I wanted different views from as many people as possible.If it's my mistake I am ready to accept.But after paying a hefty sum (200000 INR is a big amount most most Indian consumers)you don't expect things like this.I loved the bike thats why I bought it not to rant about it's quality here n there.

#17 ·

You seen not even the nuts and bolts are spared,any ideas how to lubricate them regularly.Almost all the metallic parts at rear end are rusted.The company people told they are really concerned as this has happened for the first time to any of their bike.

#18 ·
lol, looks like a dry neglected bike thats never seen any chainlube and WD40 in its life.

(And yes its easily wiped off the discs with contact cleaner or acetone).
As for the chain you've just proven you dont use chainlube.

From brand new the ownership starts, first thing is to prevent all this, but thats up to you and if you want to spend $4 on wd40.

Learn from this.

#26 ·
^^^ This. And... got wet, quite apparently. Since rust doesn't happen without it.

#28 ·
A chain will start to rust in a day if given the right conditions. You are in temperate climate. The chain should be lubed every two fillups or 500-700 km and more if it gets wet. While the products in India may be inferior you know this so you should be proactive in preventing more damage. In short, lube the s**t of of it all the time.

#34 ·
Its this particular bike that has serious low quality standards in India and only Honda can manage this level of callousness.You buy a Bajaj. ..just one complain they'll run after you if you shoot a mail to the senior executives.In Yamaha they dont even allow that to happen, pity that theres no 250cc segment in Yamaha in India else who gives a **** to Honda compared to Yamaha.Honda fanboys take no offenece its just my opinion.(Not comparing engines of both camps they both r great in their own way)

#30 ·
If I didn't misread your previous posts, you mentioned that you've paid extra to have service done on your bike. Looking at your chains, it really doesn't look like it's been properly lubed.

Quite possible that the dealership service department cut corners?

Also, it's a shame but to be competitive in India market, very possible that some components are inferior compared to ones sold in other markets. I've heard that the brake unit used in India is not the same as for other market (apparently, calipers are made by a sub-brand of Brembo in India), so quite possible that the rotors are sourced from local, cheaper spec brands.

#31 ·
My chain is a DID. I don't know where it was manufactured, but they are good quality. That too would rust, if not lubricated. Looks like the people that were supposed to lube your chain, didn't do it properly. Cast iron disks can rust in a day, it's the nature of the material, but it's still the best we have for disk brakes, for the cost. ;)

#32 ·
Yes, but I'm sure, if we had carbon disks, someone out there would be up in arms about how these brakes really suck unless you drag them for a bit to warm them up. :D :eek: :cool:

#35 ·
I think you should sell it then. what's the sense in having a bike witha perpetually rusty chain?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.