Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A useful looking machine for around town and byways, but my guess is that if highways and an entertaining ride are on your agenda the CBR250R would be a better choice.

State of the art technology circa late '70's.

Interestingly:
- At 331 pounds it is lighter than the CBR250R's 359 pounds.
- At 26.6, seat height is lower than the CBR250R's 30.5 inches
- At 84 mpg, claimed fuel economy is better than the the CBR250R's claimed 70 mpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
The CBR250R is a smallish bike. The Rebel is smaller. If you are seriously "inseam challenged", the Rebel might make sense, otherwise there are better choices in my opinion. There's a reason Honda didn't bring any Rebels to the States in 2010 and 2011. If I wanted a bike like that, I'd buy the V-Star 250 (I actually looked at the V-Star before ordering the CBR).

YMMV.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Rebel, Star/Virago 250 and GZ250 are great first bikes for petite chics. Wife had the GZ250, was actually a decent quality bike. Even with the carb it always started right up and didnt need to be warmed up more then a few seconds.
Sold it more then a year later for more then we paid for it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My one complaint about the CBR is the ergonomics. I'd love to have it's 26 hp and fuel injection with a Rebel riding position - or for that matter the old Nighthawk 250 riding position.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm surprised the Rebel is carbureted.
... and 'air-cooled' (just lovely for sitting in traffic - 'commuter' my a$$).

<rant>
I get the idea that Honda wants to capitalize on the cost-savings and user-friendly small cruiser market, but good lord, get with the program and get AHEAD of the competition by offering EFI and liquid-cooling! They've shown an obvious willingness (via the CBR250) to lead the market in terms of technology, why in the world not expand that concept to their other offerings??

PLUS, if they're sticking with an ancient design, WHY would anyone buy new when there are plenty of good used Rebels out there to be had??
</rant>

·
Registered
152 Posts
My one complaint about the CBR is the ergonomics. I'd love to have it's 26 hp and fuel injection with a Rebel riding position - or for that matter the old Nighthawk 250 riding position.
Out of curiosity, what part of the ergos are problematic for you? I wonder if Helibars or such are available to fit the 250R yet.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Out of curiosity, what part of the ergos are problematic for you? I wonder if Helibars or such are available to fit the 250R yet.
Just seems like an upright posture, the way I'm used to riding street bikes, with my weight distributed in what feels like a "normal' way ends putting the tank up my nuts and my hands just a bit further back then I'd like. I don't find it comfortable at all although I am getting used to it. It would help if motorcycles came with adjustable steering just like most cars these days.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Whatever the case may be for the new Rebel; I just don't understand why it has a higher MSRP than the cbr250r and its not even fuel injected. But don't get me wrong; by no means am I implementing that Honda should raise the price tag of the cbr250r but they should lower the Rebel's.
The two really don't compete with each other. Some riders, especially newbies, just aren't in the market for a sporter style bike. The Rebel is easy to ride and comfortable. Also - there's something to be said for the simple oil/air cooling, same as the Nighthawk 250 and 750. Newbies drop bikes and you can drop a Rebel, pick it up, and keep riding as long as it's a low speed drop. Look at some of the recent threads featuring CBR's that went down - even just a nudge in a parking lot from a car. Lotta heartache.
Edited to add - I'll bet many motorcycle schools would rather use Rebels even though CBR's are about the same price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The CBR250R is a smallish bike. The Rebel is smaller. If you are seriously "inseam challenged", the Rebel might make sense, otherwise there are better choices in my opinion. There's a reason Honda didn't bring any Rebels to the States in 2010 and 2011. If I wanted a bike like that, I'd buy the V-Star 250 (I actually looked at the V-Star before ordering the CBR).

YMMV.
There are a BUNCH of bikes they didn't bring to the states in 10 and 11.

I agree the V-Star imho is a better looking bike. Either would be good for running around town, not so much on the highway, top speed isn't going to be anywhere near that of the CBR250

·
Registered
66 Posts
Whatever the case may be for the new Rebel; I just don't understand why it has a higher MSRP than the cbr250r and its not even fuel injected. But don't get me wrong; by no means am I implementing that Honda should raise the price tag of the cbr250r but they should lower the Rebel's.

The price of the CBR seems like a REAL bargain. My CRF230L of 2008 retailed for 4499, the 09 model went up to 4999. The technology of those bikes go back to the 70's

I imagine the CBR250 is the price is is because the Ninja 250 is the price it is. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2012 CBR is 500 bucks higher.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I imagine the CBR250 is the price is is because the Ninja 250 is the price it is. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2012 CBR is 500 bucks higher.
It'd better not be, especially if there are no drastic changes to the bike that would justify the significant price increase. Besides, If the price remains the same for the new CBR250r next year; Honda will have a tremendous choke hold over Kawasaki whom are still choking their 2012 Ninja250's in the United States but now for a higher MSRP. If Honda maintains the current MSRP for the 2012 CBR250Rs, they could possibly and perhaps easily sweep the 250cc class from under Kawasaki in the United States.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It'd better not be, especially if there are no drastic changes to the bike that would justify the significant price increase. Besides, If the price remains the same for the new CBR250r next year; Honda will have a tremendous choke hold over Kawasaki whom are still choking their 2012 Ninja250's in the United States but now for a higher MSRP. If Honda maintains the current MSRP for the 2012 CBR250Rs, they could possibly and perhaps easily sweep the 250cc class from under Kawasaki in the United States.

Oh I hope they don't raise it either, I'd like to get one, just can't afford it right now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i start to think the same way... the cbr250r is not cbr600rr but the rebel is just comfy

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, the Ninja is carbureted, in the US, and it's still the best selling bike in the country. So, I'm not sure the Rebel would suffer if you're looking for that.
The MSRP for the 2012 CBR is only up $100. If you opt for ABS, add another $500 to that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts